Jazz at MOMA

Mark Stryker

3 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

the first jazz concert that I ever went to, maybe 1969, was in the Sculpture Garden at MOMA. James Moody - it was basically Dizzy's band without Dizzy, with Mike Longo, Candy Finch IIRC.

On 6/28/2024 at 7:02 PM, AllenLowe said:

the first jazz concert that I ever went to, maybe 1969, was in the Sculpture Garden at MOMA. James Moody - it was basically Dizzy's band without Dizzy, with Mike Longo, Candy Finch IIRC.

Good start ! 
about James Moody : Let me tell you how I first heard Moody on record: You know I was a big fan of 70´s Miles and my first concert I ever went to was the Miles Band with Dave Liebman and later I saw Liebman with several groups of his own and loved his sound. 
And browsing thru Miles albums I saw the Miles in Paris 1949 and after I heard Moody, who sounds very very "modern" almost late Coltrane-ish in some passages I shoutet out with delight "James Moody------almost like Dave Liebman !!!!" (since at that time "Lieb" was the only sax player I knew.....