RIP Willie Mays/The Say Hey Kid has left us.

JSngry

• JSngry changed the title to RIP Willie Mays/The Say Hey Kid has left us.
  • JSngry changed the title to RIP Willie Mays/The Say Hey Kid has left us.

Literally the first player I saw walking into my first ever big league game, Astros vs Giants, Astrodome, summer of 1965. He was in the outfield getting loose and that 24 grabbed hold of my psyche instantly and forever.

Indelible.

He was a bit before my time & he played when the only thing you saw on TV was your local team, which for me was the Red Sox. Willie spent his whole career in the National League so he never played the Red Sox. I never saw him play. But I had his baseball cards in the late 60s & early 70s when he played for the Mets. I vaguely remember seeing some of his plays on the news when I was a kid. But that catch - everyone saw The Catch, which was "The Catch" before the NFL's 49ers co-opted the term.

Great, great player for sure. 

I never saw him in person, but I was quite young when he retired--plus I'm from an American League city and  no inter-league play back then and we just had limited awareness of the NL players.  Of course, in Cleveland we were not happy with Mays for one incident--the famous catch in the 1954 World Series that is continually replayed.  Of course, it was a great fielder doing what he had to do, but it was the key element in a fine Series for the Giants and a lousy one for the Indians.

Edited by Milestones

Willie Mays was a one of a kind. I had a baseball magazine that had a cover article stating. "Mantle Better Than Mays," which obviously wasn't true long before Mantle retired after the 1968 season. While Mantle reached greater heights in individual years, including a Triple Crown, plus taking part in many more World Series, his injuries to both legs, careless attitude toward proper rehab and penchant for striking out make it clear Mays had the superior career.

I remember that PSA from childhood well, "...Those are blasting caps, now remember now, don't touch them!" I don't even have to play the video clip, it is so ingrained in my mind.

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

I still have this card, along with the 1964, 1965, 19767 and 1969 Topps cards.