Miles Davis Sao Paolo 1974 ?

Gheorghe

Hello Friends ! 

I don´t know where to post this. Once there was a topic "Miles Davis Bootleg Series" with a lot of previously unissued material like the "Lost Quintet" etc.

Few Days ago I heard on youtube the great Miles from 1974 at Sao Paolo and I think it is some of the best things Miles did in that very dense and exiting period, together with Liebman, M´tume, Foster, and so on. 

How much would I like to hear this on CD. I wonder why it was not issued yet, since I think it´s some of the greatest Miles of the ´70´s . Until I finally will have this, my favourite remains "Dark Magus". I heard that band live it was my first jazz concert, it all started there, and with Mingus of course......

According to the Losin discography, soundboard recordings were made for three nights in São Paulo - May 28, June 1, and June 2.    Some of it has been bootlegged.  I have a recording of the first concert that I got from somewhere (I can't remember where)

7794_b_1974_05_28_sao_paulo_bra.jpg

8 hours ago, John L said:

According to the Losin discography, soundboard recordings were made for three nights in São Paulo - May 28, June 1, and June 2.    Some of it has been bootlegged.  I have a recording of the first concert that I got from somewhere (I can't remember where)

7794_b_1974_05_28_sao_paulo_bra.jpg

It appears that this CD also contains the Charles Shaw Moers LP Streets of Saint Louis, which is wild! I will definitely keep my eyes out for it.

Looks interesting, but the sale of that CD on Discog is blocked, and one other source didn´t seem to be serios because when I wanted to play the order, I got a mail from my card company tellin me that my card will be changed due to attempts of fraud...

On 6/16/2024 at 11:27 PM, Gheorghe said:

Hello Friends ! 

I don´t know where to post this. Once there was a topic "Miles Davis Bootleg Series" with a lot of previously unissued material like the "Lost Quintet" etc.

Few Days ago I heard on youtube the great Miles from 1974 at Sao Paolo and I think it is some of the best things Miles did in that very dense and exiting period, together with Liebman, M´tume, Foster, and so on. 

How much would I like to hear this on CD. I wonder why it was not issued yet, since I think it´s some of the greatest Miles of the ´70´s . Until I finally will have this, my favourite remains "Dark Magus". I heard that band live it was my first jazz concert, it all started there, and with Mingus of course......

Lots of recordings of Miles with the Cosey band, from 1973 through 1975, a few of which have been officially released.

i haven’t listened to this period closely - are these Brazilian recordings better than average, in terms of either content or sound quality?

On 6/17/2024 at 5:01 AM, John L said:

There’s also a recording from Rio, I believe.

1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

Lots of recordings of Miles with the Cosey band, from 1973 through 1975, a few of which have been officially released.

i haven’t listened to this period closely - are these Brazilian recordings better than average, in terms of either content or sound quality?

There’s also a recording from Rio, I believe.

I have listened closely to that special period and have seen Miles in Vienna with that Band. I was just 14 so this was maybe the first concert I went out to see. Though I had heard some acoustic Miles before that on record (Walkin´ done in the 60´s with his so called "2-nd Quintet", the transition to electric and funk rhythms was the most natural thing for people who lived then. 
So it´s natural I have a special interest in the music they played then. 
Anyway, we shouldn´t complain, this period is well documentated with 3 live double LPs. 
But from what I had heard on youtube the Sao Paolo Gig really was something special, it´s a wonderful intro into that tune in Bb-minor, which I think was called "Funk". 
Miles usually started with "Turnaround Phrase" (like on Panghea), but sometimes with "Funk" (like on Agharta). 

About sound quality I´m not the smartest guy, since my hearing is not so well after 50 years of playing music. I want it if it captures the sound of the live event, I don´t care for let´s say some distortions, because the live situation is so hip.....