(Well here it is..)- What to do with your LP/CD collection-especially Mosaic box sets, when no interested heirs?

For me, my single CDs are not the major issue.

It's the box sets.

Maybe, it would be a worthy idea to pass on box sets on our Pay It Forward link.

That way the box sets would go to true avid collectors here. 

Just ask for return postage in exchange...👍

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, scooter_phx said:

Has anyone considered sending your collection to the Internet Archive (archive.org)?  I'm certain how it works but on the surface, it sounds like an option.  Anyone have knowledge they'd like to share about it?

Well, anybody can create an account on Internet Archive and upload music files. However, owning a cd does not give one distribution rights for the files on that cd, whether free or for fee.  A few users have uploaded good quality music files that they don't have distribution rights for and some of those get removed after complaints from the copyright owners.  Generally speaking your suggestion is not a viable option.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

On 6/16/2024 at 7:23 PM, jazzbo said:

I'm nearing 69. . . I've had conversations of this nature with my wife. I only listen to physical media, so I'm inclined to just hang on to it all as long as I can. It seems if I don't take care of my collection big dumpsters will be in our driveway and pitching will begin. I'm undecided what is my best course of action or inaction. ;)

Yes, I too will be hitting 69 in the fall.  I certainly don't want to give up anything yet, as I am enjoying my best health ever (which may seem strange, but I am no longer plagued by asthma symptoms which hounded me for 5 or 6 decades).  

My preference would be to give the collection, lock, stock and barrel, to a younger jazz fan who would appreciate the music. My daughter enjoys jazz, but its all on-line and downloads for her and I don't think she would appreciate the physical media.  So failing that, the dumpster seems like a decent idea (just blindfold me as I fill it up)

I'll be 70 in November.  My daughter says she wants my music collection, so it's hers when I pass on (though I am constantly looking to trim it).  Interesting that so many of us are in the same age group. 

8 minutes ago, felser said:

Interesting that so many of us are in the same age group. 

Hasn't it been obvious for all these years? The non-Boomer blood here is almost immediately detectable - and welcome!

45 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hasn't it been obvious for all these years? The non-Boomer blood here is almost immediately detectable - and welcome!

Detectable? I find it delectable! When one of them unknowingly stumbles in here, and I feast my fangs on their supple flesh and blood, I realize that Stoker was probably a Boomer himself, and was alerting future generations of the unquenchable pleasure of nubile, female blo- wait I better stop here, I don't want to scare any of them off!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I knew we tended to be "seasoned", but so many of us, at least on this thread, seem to fit a very narrow late 60's/early 70's year old window.

31 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Detectable? I find it delectable! When one of them unknowingly stumbles in here, and I feast my fangs on their supple flesh and blood, I realize that Stoker was probably a Boomer himself, and was alerting future generations of the unquenchable pleasure of nubile, female blo- wait I better stop here, I don't want to scare any of them off!

You're scaring US, let alone them!

24 minutes ago, felser said:

I knew we tended to be "seasoned", but so many of us, at least on this thread, seem to fit a very narrow late 60's/early 70's year old window.

It's not the seasoning, it's the aftertaste.

I must admit I am surprised that at 64 I am still below the apparently "typical" age bracket of the more active forumists.

But maybe I was tricked into feeling differently because in my area - among the jazz collectors I personally know - I am one of the older'uns. The other day I tried to arrange a meeting with a guy - my guess is he is in his early to mid-40s - to pass on a handful of LPs he had bought from me. But the proposed meeting did not come to pass because he was busy elsewhere - negotiating a deal to buy a collection of 78s and driving up there to collect it. So not all (collecting) hope is lost, it clearly seems ... ;)

And yes - more non-boomer blood is welcome anytime. Can only do the forum a lot of good. ;)

I guess a thread like this one here will also attract posts mostly from those who are most affected who all sit in the same age bracket... If I think back to almost 20 years ago when I joined, quite a few of the older posters have left us or have become more silent by now...   And those were all too old to be called boomers... I just turned 43, how young can you be after almost 20 years... My main worry these days is storage space for a collection that's still growing...

52 minutes ago, Niko said:

I guess a thread like this one here will also attract posts mostly from those who are most affected who all sit in the same age bracket... If I think back to almost 20 years ago when I joined, quite a few of the older posters have left us or have become more silent by now...   And those were all too old to be called boomers... I just turned 43, how young can you be after almost 20 years... My main worry these days is storage space for a collection that's still growing...

I have moved twice since 2014 and had a better dedicated music library each time with more shelf space. No more moves, it is too much trouble and packing the collection is time consuming, something I have handled myself to make reshelving much easier. Besides, we really like this house. Besides, 70 isn't that far away.