(Well here it is..)- What to do with your LP/CD collection-especially Mosaic box sets, when no interested heirs?

62 here, not retired.  Once I retire, I plan to skinny things down, keeping the stuff near and dear to me.  Unfortunately that is not a small number (both CD and vinyl).  However they are just "things" and I would like to make it as easy as possible when the day comes.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another idea: instead of selling huge batches to your local record store,
sell a few things (let's say: a hundred) to them and check back later to
find out how well they've sold. It's possible that they may have a story
to tell about one or two "special" customers who were pleased with the
"new" items that arrived and maybe there can be a kind of "hookup"
with them to find out their interests. It might take away some of the
drudgery of wondering who's out there buying what when it comes to
the stuff you want to unload. Again, this is all dependent on whether you
need to get rid of stuff fast or not. If you can casually stretch it out, you
may be able to meet new, collector friends as well as sell thru your collection.

Edited by rostasi

I've instructed my wife to sell it all through a reputable shop... of course I am youngish now but who knows what can happen. I have told her to consign if she can, as that would bring her top dollar.

Then again if I make it another 40 years or so, it is highly unlikely that I'll still have a massive collection and it will have been sold/consigned long before.

Clearly jazz aficionados are able to confront their own mortality. My wife has "encouraged" me to downsize my collection of LPs , 78s and CDs. I sell some stuff on Discogs and to a dealer friend. I've long since got rid of junk and slimmed my 78s down to about five hundred. I will only sell stuff on Discogs that is in excellent condition as I don't want to deal with complaints from buyers who allergic to the odd bit of surface noise. The majority of CDs/LPs in the departure lounge however  go to a charity shop for the local hospice.

My other vice is darkroom photography, specifically film cameras of which I have very many. All vital of course and get used at least once a year. So basically my detritus spreads everywhere, hence I'm receptive to the requests to limit things..

22 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Inspired by the history festival attended last week I plan on doing a 'Jazz Sutton Hoo Burial' type of thing with a Saxon burial ship lined with LPs/Mosaics and maybe also room for my hi-fi too !

😂definitely the best suggestion yet!! Better than going all Viking and burning it all as it leaves it open for future generations of archeologiss to decode the societal impact of box sets....

Sounds like an interesting festival too, joking aside

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

😂definitely the best suggestion yet!! Better than going all Viking and burning it all as it leaves it open for future generations of archeologiss to decode the societal impact of box sets....

Sounds like an interesting festival too, joking aside

Yeah,  Chalke was pretty good and in a lovely scenic spot too. One of the highlights of the year. There was a recreation from scratch of the Anglo-Saxon Prittlewell Burial and this gave me the inspiration. Don't think whoever it was had any Mosaics but he did take a well-used lyre with him to Valhalla !

It would be ace to do this and then have future Baldricks + Time Team scratching their heads.

Edited by sidewinder

On 7/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, Clunky said:

I've long since got rid of junk and slimmed my 78s down to about five hundred.

Slimmed down! Love that. I can’t imagine the weight of 500 78s if you had to shift them!

Well this discussion is sadly relevant for me as my Dad died a month back and has a large jazz collection accumulated since the 50s and the mention of 78s reminds me he used to have quite a lot of these too (a lot of Esquires). My mum will be moving out of the house so it needs emptying. I have been tasked with dealing with this. There are a few I might keep but I am trying to slim down my collection too. I may see if a local record shop has any interest in taking them all. 

Edited by adh1907

1 hour ago, adh1907 said:

Slimmed down! Love that. I can’t imagine the weight of 500 78s if you had to shift them!

Well this discussion is sadly relevant for me as my Dad died a month back and has a large jazz collection accumulated since the 50s and the mention of 78s reminds me he used to have quite a lot of these too (a lot of Esquires). My mum will be moving out of the house so it needs emptying. I have been tasked with dealing with this. There are a few I might keep but I am trying to slim down my collection too. I may see if a local record shop has any interest in taking them all. 

I know some around here who would be willing to take these 78s off your hands (yes there are a small handful of fairly young'uns around here who are into 78s - and I might even spring for certain Esquires, for example, myself) but distance makes this unreasonable, and since Brexit has occurred this has become even more unfeasible, unfortunately.

And of course my sincere condolences to your loss.

FWIW, as for 78s in London, I am afraid that ever since Mole Jazz and Ray's Jazz Shop (are there still remnants of Ray's at Foyle's at all?) have become a thing of the past these outlets for jazz 78s are no longer feasible either.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

FWIW, as for 78s in London, I am afraid that ever since Mole Jazz and Ray's Jazz Shop (are there still remnants of Ray's at Foyle's at all?) have become a thing of the past these outlets for jazz 78s are no longer feasible either.

Last time I was in Foyles/Ray's the Jazz section seemed to have shrunk a bit. There was a small section with second hand 10" LPs but not sure if any 78s, don't think so. They had a note on the rack saying 'not buying any second-hand collections at present'.

As for Mole - any evidence of the old sign and original shop presence, which survived into the 2010s, now obliterated with the King's Cross developments.

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Last time I visited, Ray’s Jazz had been shunted into a unstaffed windowless corner of Foyles. Very sad. 

Yes, that corner area is uninviting and as you say, unstaffed. Sad - when it started out it was a lively shop run by Paul Pace and co. , the nice coffee bar next to it and with good CD and LP offerings. I remember buying the Hazel Scott Debut 10" from the 'Hen's Teeth' box. Heck, they even had good free gigs there by the likes of Empirical.

Edited by sidewinder