Do You Like Looking @ 10" LP Covers???

JSngry

some nice stuff in there - Mobes & Melle BN, Freeman PJ, Alex North Streetcar... Cap, Shank Nocturne, Leith Stevens Wild One Decca, Stitt Savoy, Strayhorn Mercer, Thornhill Trend, Weston Riverside, Webster EmArcy, Mary Lou Williams Atlantic

have a smattering of jazz 10" LPs, primarily australian pressings (not that common here), some with unique covers plus others that were only on 10" here (12" in other countries with no 10" release)

Have always liked this format aesthetically - the early years of more creative album cover art plus the 10" lasted for only a short time (longer here in Australia though)

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

What year did 12 inch Lps become available and when did they become common?

My understanding is that they were introduced at the same time as the 10" but were used mostly for classical pieces.

My understanding is that the 12" became the preferred size for all LPs somewhere in the mid 1950s. No hard cutoff date that I can find, just product/consumer evolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LP_record

The tape sucks but without it, I guess we wouldn't have the cover at all.  I think the cover is kind of cool though.  Thanks for sharing.

I have a friend who has some 45rpm 10" discs.  I don't know how rare they are but the music/artists are a bit weak.  One is a 'play along' vinyl by a forgotten hero.  They are part of her late father's estate.  I suggested eBay to test the waters.  How common were the 10" 45's?

On 6/19/2024 at 6:19 PM, scooter_phx said:

How common were the 10" 45's?

Not very common AFAIK. At least in jazz/rock/blues/country segments from the 50s.
The reverse (7" 33s) even were more common. And in absolute terms, that's saying something.

On 6/15/2024 at 7:41 PM, medjuck said:

What year did 12 inch Lps become available and when did they become common?

Judging by record reviews and release lists, 10" LPs dominated in the US up to, say, 1955, and then a fairly rapid shift to 12" LPs was made.
In Europe (e.g. France, a.o.) 10" LPs had a sizable share of the LP market much longer - at least until the early to mid-60s.

45 EPs are usually 45s with more than one song on one side, or both.

They came out of the format wars between RCA & Columbia. RCA bet that people didn't want those big bulky 10" LPs with all that music on it and that a smaller record with a bigger hole was the way to the public's heart.

Dig around the better used shops and you can still find EP packaging of LP programs. No stone left unturned.

s-l1200.webp

On 6/23/2024 at 12:41 AM, Daniel A said:

33 rpm 7'' discs were fairly common here and were called "EP:s" (as opposed to 45 rpm "singles"). It seems as if the term EP is used for 45 rpm discs in many (most?) countries.

Actually - from all the record reviews I've read in period Orkester Journalen and Estrad and from those Metronome, Gazell and Sonet 45s I have - the EPs from Scandinavia usually had 4 tracks and played at 45 rpm.

33 rpm 7" records usually had SIX tracks (3 on each side), unless they were used to release particularly long tracks.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 6/23/2024 at 2:50 AM, JSngry said:

Dig around the better used shops and you can still find EP packaging of LP programs. No stone left unturned.

You mean those multi-part EPs that came either with (multi-)gatefold covers or as small (7") box sets holding the individual EPs or as separately sold EPs that combined to make up the contents of ONE LP each?

48182324ha.jpg

But the EPs that Daniel A was aluding to followed a somewhat different marketing path (and filled a corresponding niche):
The EPs from Scandinavia and France (above all) sometimes existed as sets of 2, 3 or 4 to make up one LP's worth of music but often did not come as individual multi-EP sets that gave you the entire LP contents if you bought all of the EPs but rather came as EXCERPTS of the corresponding LP.
Since vinyl was fairly expensive in Europe throughout the 50s and well into the 60s (a rough estimate based on average hourly wages works out at average prices of about 50 EUR or $50 in today's money for ONE LP!) many companies or distribution license holders figured it would be just as sensible to give the buyers a sampling of the LPs in question by marketing EPs with the contents of about one third of the LP (and an accordingly lower and much more affordable price tag). So for many 12" LPs there also was ONE 45rpm EP with part of the contents. There were many LPs on Prestige, Atlantic or Roost, for example, that had spinoffs in the form of ONE EP on the Metronome or Sonet (et al.) labels.

Edited by Big Beat Steve