That's nice news on the tickets hope it comes to fruition for you both

If I understand you correctly to mean when is a score too big to be chased , then this will give you some context

https://www.espncricinfo.com/records/highest-innings-totals-batting-second-283214

We're in Test (five days) mode here at the moment with a very good second match against West Indies, following their abject performance in the first match of the series.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. What I was asking was from a fan perspective, like, ok, it's going to take a true miracle vs well, they can still pull this one out with a bit of luck and some sustained power hitting.

I've seen a few matches where it was literally down to the last over, and some where there was virtually no way, with a lot falling somewhere in between.

So at what point does an educated spectator figure where the game is in terms of probable outcome? Is there a win probably formula at any given time on the bottom inning?

I'd say as long as the required run rate still hovers around 10/ov you're in with a good chance but there's the number of wickets lost to factor in too, and which batters are still in or to come.

So if one of your top 5 is still there and you've got some big hitters still to come, you've 8 overs left and 80 to get you're feeling confident, 100 to get you're ok, 120 then you need a couple of big performances.

Bearing in mind 20+ runs can be knocked off a total in one "big"over the equation can shift quite quickly. Similarly two or three quick wickets later on and you go from 4 to 7 batters out and you find yourself relying on bowlers who can bat rather than batters

Is this making any sense?

I should add I don't follow T20 nearly as closely as the Test matches so this isn't an expert opinion at all

Edited by mjazzg

Totally making sense, thanks! :tup

That required run rate seems to be a key barometer, being less of a trailing indicator than all the other data that is put onscreen (and there is a LOT of it!)

Last night's match was a blast. Texas won by 37 runs!

Our seats were a lot closer to the field this time. We got to see all the signalling that goes on between pitches for defensive positioning, which was interesting in it's own right 

Tonight we see Texas vs MINY (again!) in the first round of the playoffs. More Pooran, and I hope he stays in the semi-slump he's been in. If not, we're likely to see some towering shots that double as nails in the Texas coffin.

The weather last night was splendid. Low 80s and a nice breeze all night. Forecast for tonight is for more of the same.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Last night's match was a blast. Texas won by 37 runs!

Our seats were a lot closer to the field this time. We got to see all the signalling that goes on between pitches for defensive positioning, which was interesting in it's own right 

Tonight we see Texas vs MINY (again!) in the first round of the playoffs. More Pooran, and I hope he stays in the semi-slump he's been in. If not, we're likely to see some towering shots that double as nails in the Texas coffin.

The weather last night was splendid. Low 80s and a nice breeze all night. Forecast for tonight is for more of the same.

Do they sell any Indian food at those events? I'm not being facetious. Some of the Indian convenience store owners in my area sell samosas (as well as non-vegetarian foods which I skip).

Edited by T.D.

The do! We ate some our first visit and it was great. I had a spicy lamb combo plate which was not really spicy, just a touch of heat. But very delicious!

We've been eating Indian cuisine in the Dallas area for 40 years now. And in Plano, where I live, there's been an explosion of Indian restaurants over the past 10 years or so. I'm tempted to say that there's now as many India as Mexican restaurants, but that might not be accurate. We also have sever Indian supermarkets, so we can buy the same stuff that advertises in Willow. Royal basmati is the very best basmati!

Oh, halftime activities...just a bunch of silliness, I didn't really watch it, checked my phone for baseball scores instead.

Oh yeah, some the outfielders were signing autographs for kids, in game, between pitches. Incredibly fan-friendly. If the plan is to grow the game, that's an excellent way to do it!

That's a bit of a tradition, fielders signing for fans whilst fielding

Indian food, good weather and cricket, that's close to an ideal world right there. Bit of Jazz between innings might be the cherry on top...

Edited by mjazzg

On 7/21/2024 at 9:26 PM, JSngry said:

Totally making sense, thanks! :tup

That required run rate seems to be a key barometer, being less of a trailing indicator than all the other data that is put onscreen (and there is a LOT of it!)

Rinku Singh famously hit 30 off the last 5 balls to win an IPL match last year:

And the infamous last over of the T20 World Cup final in 2016, when West Indies needed 19 off the final over:

Edited by rdavenport

Great match last night, the Elimination round of the MLC playoff, Texas vs New York. Poor am was harmless, but Rashid Khan was a terror withe the bat.

Long story short, we won 164 - 163, but it took until almost the end of the 18th over, with a LOT of awakening of what had been the slumbering lumber.

Thrilling!11

Just looked up the scorecards. Texas only lost one wicket, a nine wicket victory is pretty comprehensive even if it felt close.

It goes back to what we were saying about tipping points and run rates. In that position Texas would have been pretty confident I reckon given they had nine batters left to get them over the line. Let's just say if they hadn't made it it would have been embarrassing.

Some interesting names involved including two of highly regarded umpires in world cricket, Erasmus and Taufel

Yeah, I got lost in the soft batting and didn't let it register that the required run rate never got higher that the low 9s.

Y'all told me. Lesson definitely learned!

Tonight's match between Washington and San Francisco should be a dilly. Washington has need crushing it, having lost by once - to San Francisco.

Yeah, Washington opened it up tonight. Travis Head & Glenn Maxwell...striking like snakes.

Texas plays San Francisco tomorrow to see who plays in the final against Washington on Sunday. Seems like a formality, to be honest...

MLC Final is underway, Travis Head retired after only 9 runs...this might be interesting!

Canadian T20 is already underway, some MLC cricket players playing there.

West Indies T20 coming soon, plus there's The Hundred, plus Tests...and Willow caries it all.

It's a great time to be retired!

Washington's other Aussies did the damage by the looks of things

Meanwhile England wrapped up another comprehensive victory against West Indies in the 3rd and final Test.

I had no idea that Canada has a T20 league, it's everywhere i

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Article about the plans for further developing professional cricket in America:

https://frontofficesports.com/major-league-cricket-is-luring-the-worlds-top-stars-with-cash-and-connections/

That's interesting. The ECB have got it all wrong with The Hundred, rather than develop T20 here they created yet another format, not played anywhere else in the world.

The attractions of the US are always going to be a pull and the potential is huge. I can see how MLC will continue to attract the better players rather than the Hundred. 

In football (soccer) MLS has become the preferred semi-retirement route for many players (now being usurped by Saudi) and I can easily see that happening with MLC with players staying longer than just for the weeks of competition to help with development etc

I've caught a few Hundred(s) matches on Willow (via Sky Sports) and I'm not yet ingrained in the sport enough to mind it one way or the other.

Plus, the uniforms are more colorful (and so is the whole telecast), the stadiums are quite nice, and there's women's teams as well!

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

I've caught a few Hundred(s) matches on Willow (via Sky Sports) and I'm not yet ingrained in the sport enough to mind it one way or the other.

Plus, the uniforms are more colorful (and so is the whole telecast), the stadiums are quite nice, and there's women's teams as well!

That's interesting because you are representative of the audience they're trying to reach, folk who haven't watched cricket before. 

Not diehard stuck-in-the-muds like me...

Well, the TV color scheme wore me out after a while. It was like being trapped in a 1982 New Wave album cover.

But right now, I'm just enjoying watching and studying the basic mechanics of the game, regardless of format. There's a lot there, basic batting and bowling. 

• 2 weeks later...