14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Sign stealing is "ok"  if it's done on the field as part of the on-field alertness. What the Astros did was far beyond that. They used technology in a systematic way. Way beyond normal Spy vs Spy gamesmanship. That's more like Mafia shit.

Ball tampering otoh...part of the game as long as you don't get caught. Some very high profile players are rumored to have done it, but they didn't get caught, so...

There's a latent criminality in every competitive endeavor, a with it comes lines that are generally agreed on that shouldn't be crossed - past a certain point!

👍

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still a bit mind-blowing that in cricket, not only is the bowler allowed to pitch directly at the batter, but that the batter is OUT (wicket) if the ball hits him without him hitting it first!

These pitches are (generally) not the 90+ mph as routinely found in baseball, but they're still coming in pretty damn hard, some of them are. I've seen quite a few in the mid-80s, more than fast enough to hurt. No wonder the batters wear all that padding!

My understanding of baseball is heightening my appreciation of both the similarities and the differences between it and cricket.

When I first got into cricket, 50 years ago, the batters wore very little protection, usually a box to protect manhood and maybe a guard on their leading arm, no helmets. At that time the West Indies ruled supreme in no small part to a stable of frighteningly fast bowlers who all bowled 85mph+. There's great footage of batters trying to avoid getting hurt and failing. 

Express bowling has been a weapon unleashed for decades, back in the 30s there was a very famous series between Australia and England known as "Bodyline Series" because England used their quicks to target the Aussie batters. It was seen as ungentlemanly and caused diplomatic ructions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyline

Photos show batters with no external protection.

Express bowling is a wonderful thing to witness live and is an important tool in a team's armoury if available.

It belies the genteel image that some people apply to cricket.

Sadly, it has caused death, most high profile recently when an Australian international Phil Hughes died having been struck on the side of the head below his helmet protection, in a domestic game.

Edited by mjazzg

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Still a bit mind-blowing that in cricket, not only is the bowler allowed to pitch directly at the batter, but that the batter is OUT (wicket) if the ball hits him without him hitting it first!

These pitches are (generally) not the 90+ mph as routinely found in baseball, but they're still coming in pretty damn hard, some of them are. I've seen quite a few in the mid-80s, more than fast enough to hurt. No wonder the batters wear all that padding!

My understanding of baseball is heightening my appreciation of both the similarities and the differences between it and cricket.

If a bowler bowls a ball which does not pitch (hit the ground) before it reaches the batsman, it is known as a full toss. If a full toss reaches the batsman at waist height it is a no-ball. When a fast bowler bowls a full toss which reaches the batsman at waist high or above, it is called a "beamer", which is both a no-ball, a cause for a warning from the umpire, and very much frowned upon if in any way deliberate. You don't get many deliberate beamers in cricket, they're usually the result of a misfire on the bowler's part. 

Full tosses are usually dispatched to any part of the park the batsman wishes, although in club cricket the full toss is a deadly delivery. The batsman's eyes light up as he throws the bat at it, quite often resulting in him spooning a catch or missing it completely and being bowled. I took many of my club cricket wickets with full tosses. 

3 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

Edited by rdavenport

4 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

If a bowler bowls a ball which does not pitch (hit the ground) before it reaches the batsman, it is known as a full toss. If a full toss reaches the batsman at waist height it is a no-ball. When a fast bowler bowls a full toss which reached the batsman at waist high or above, it is called a "beamer", which is both a no-ball, a cause for a warning from the umpire, and very much frowned upon if they could be considered deliberate. You don't get many deliberate beamers in cricket, they're usually the result of a misfire on the bowler's part. 

Full tosses are usually dispatched to any part of the park the batsman wishes, although in club cricket the full toss is a deadly delivery. The batsman's eyes light up as he throws the bat at it, quite often resulting in him spooning a catch or missing it completely and being bowled. I took many of my club cricket wickets with full tosses. 

😄

On 7/5/2024 at 8:36 PM, JSngry said:

MLC season starts today. Willow is on it and it is on Willow 

My son and I are going to an evening match on July 14. I "had to" buy a yellow T-shirt to represent our "local" team. 

I probably need to buy new T-shirts anyway, in all colors!

Better shopping through sports.

Big win for TSK - match report please, including food and mid-innings entertainment, if any?

Had a great time!

Food was excellent. We has a lamb curry basket that was quite tasty and very generous in portion size. Spice level was surprisingly pretty mild. I could have gone up several notches, but the flavor was good 

The match itself was really fun. TSJ batted first and had a good run. 176 runs iirc. Not overwhelming though  especially with Poorham batting 3rd  

But - we got him out on a wicket in a relatively few overs and with no big slugging  After that, our bowlers brought there A-game. Lots of singles and dot balls for a lot of overs. It was fun to see the bats foiled like that.

MINY came alive after about 15(?) overs and suddenly started walloping 4s & 6s, but the math was against them by that point, and our bowlers kept it under control. 

I had a blast, really. So e parts of the game were easier to follow on TV, but the longer I sat there, the more they came into focus.

And the crowd, whoa! Totally family friendly. Kids, parents, and grandparents all together. Beer was sold and consumed, but there were no drunken expletive spewing like you often find at other sporting events. That was really nice.

The only thing I didn't like was the attempts at "Americanization" if the experience, lits if loud sound bites between every pitch, and a PA announcer who was stuck on excited. Not sure that was needed, but it's their business plan not mine 

All in all, a truly wonderful sporting experience. I'd definitely do it again!

Sounds great. The 'Americanizations' are all part of the T20 game here too, to attract the non-cricket crowd.

I've always had great experiences with South East Asian crowds at cricket, raucously supportive but always with humour

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It was the family thing that really warmed me. Everybody from babies to very senior Senior Citizens. 

You get a similar mix in England. For bigger games, there are usually stands dedicated to certain groups. You get member's areas, "family" (alcohol-free) stands, and at Old Trafford, the "Party Stand". The latter, as you can imagine, gets quite raucous. It's usually good-natured (lots of singing and a beer snake or two), but perhaps not for the purist. I had good fun the twice I sat there.

Edited by rdavenport

Dude, I played club dates and rich kids weddings for so many years that if I go through my next 30 lifetimes without encountering even one more rowdy drunk, that would be fine with me.

Rowdy and vulgar is the worst, especially when there's kids around...

Oh, one thing that I never knew was that bowlers change ends every over. Laugh all you want at that, but in TV there's always a commercial when that happens.

I worked a party where the local Steinway dealer hosted a reception in a private club to showcase Vladimir Horowitz's next to last Steinway grand piano. He traded it in for a new one a few years before his death and dealers had the opportunity to display it for a day. At least two idiots attending the party put their drinks down on it. 

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh, one thing that I never knew was that bowlers change ends every over. Laugh all you want at that, but in TV there's always a commercial when that happens.

Tricksy sport this cricket...but I'm not laughing because I hadn't thought before how someone new to it on TV would see that or not.

Bowlers have preferred ends at most grounds they play on regularly 

36 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

Well, to get even more confusing, in The Hundred, a bowler can bowl two "sets" (there are 5-ball sets in The Hundred, rather than 6-ball overs) consecutively, from the same end.

And the Hundred is ridiculous, as that indicates

Ok, this is cool - at the game Sunday night, my son bumped into a friemd of his who's working with the MLC TV team. Tonight he tells my son that he's putting in requests for two sets of two comp tickets. One for the final regular season match (in which Texas plays), and then one for the first playoff game (in which Texas issomewhat likely to play.

Glad to go to one of the two, delighted if both come through!

Oh, what's a good rule of thumb as to when a match is likely out of reach? Is there one?