• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suitably anticlimactic outcome. I suspect there may be a few international retirements after today, and also think Buttler might lose the captaincy. 

I expect India will boss the final, given South Africa's reputation as arch-chokers in big games. 

They did. A team known historically for choking at big matches but I think this was just a case of India being stronger. India's bowling attack is very special and in Rohit have a great captain and batter

India's inning was pretty good, but not awesome-ain't-no-way-you're-coming-back-from-this good. I thought that they probably had it locked, but the math said, well, yeah, probably, but South Africa does have a way.

And so they did....almost. India's bowling...yeah. To the degree that I can, at this point, "get it", yeah, I got it. But there were the occasional lapse that put the 4s & 6s up, and that kept it interesting.

I guess the next thing for T20 is Major Leagues Cricket, which is where a lot of the games are played locally in Grand Prairie. My son and I have reached an agreement in principle (:g) to go to at least one game. No idea what the fan experience will be compared to watching on TV, but we'll find out!

Also VERY curious as to what the concessions will be. If it's some kind of Indian ballpark food, that could be most intriguing! But if it's just hot dogs and soda pop, that's ok too.

On 6/26/2024 at 12:00 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

Since no soul has responded to my post - I will let the youngsters know about Cricket Blake.

It has long been speculated that the reason Hawaiian Eye was never released on any home video format was that practically every episode contained a scene with Cricket singing a song in the hotel nightclub, and it would have been prohibitively expensive to clear the music rights for a video release. 

MLC season starts today. Willow is on it and it is on Willow 

My son and I are going to an evening match on July 14. I "had to" buy a yellow T-shirt to represent our "local" team. 

I probably need to buy new T-shirts anyway, in all colors!

Better shopping through sports.

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

MLC season starts today. Willow is on it and it is on Willow 

My son and I are going to an evening match on July 14. I "had to" buy a yellow T-shirt to represent our "local" team. 

I probably need to buy new T-shirts anyway, in all colors!

Better shopping through sports.

Will expect full review of the game and the food

The food, yes...the website says :

https://www.majorleaguecricket.com/fanfaq

Can I buy food and drinks in the venue?

• Grand Prairie Stadium: Yes, food and drinks (including alcohol) will be available for sale at the venue. The food available will be a mix of cuisines ranging from ballpark classics (fries, hot dogs, etc.) to south asian favorites (biryani, chaat, etc.) to authentic Texas BBQ!

So I'm like, half of me wants to stay in my seat and watch the match while the other half of me eats and eats and eats. Win-win, that would be!

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

The food, yes...the website says :

https://www.majorleaguecricket.com/fanfaq

Can I buy food and drinks in the venue?

• Grand Prairie Stadium: Yes, food and drinks (including alcohol) will be available for sale at the venue. The food available will be a mix of cuisines ranging from ballpark classics (fries, hot dogs, etc.) to south asian favorites (biryani, chaat, etc.) to authentic Texas BBQ!

So I'm like, half of me wants to stay in my seat and watch the match while the other half of me eats and eats and eats. Win-win, that would be!

Heaven is a MLC match

Just checked the TSK squad, some good names in there. Captain is (was) a super player

Edited by mjazzg

They got beat rather handily last night...

The match we're seeing is against MINY. Nicholas Pooran, who I guess is a kind of Babe Ruth figure.

Watching the match last on TV. The players were mingling with the fans and signing autographs. You don't see that these days in other sports. Nice!

New York look a strong side. Pooran is one of the hottest tickets in T20 cricket, as is Rashid Khan. Kieron Pollard is getting on now, but would be one of the absolute legends of the T20 game.

Washington have three big Australian stars in Maxwell, Head and the famous cheat Smith.

For JSangry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Australian_ball-tampering_scandal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_tampering#Faf_du_Plessis,_2013 - huh, didn't know Texas skipper Du Plessis was a two-time offender. 

Edited by rdavenport

1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

New York look a strong side. Pooran is one of the hottest tickets in T20 cricket, as is Rashid Khan. Kieron Pollard is getting on now, but would be one of the absolute legends of the T20 game.

Washington have three big Australian stars in Maxwell, Head and the famous cheat Smith.

Aren't we meant to have forgiven him..?

Never!

1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

Exactly, Warner can do one as well. Bancroft one could almost feel sorry for.  

And the bowlers, they must've known. Agree, Bancroft was set up by senior professionals 

So is sign stealing one of those "beyond the pale" crimes in baseball? I ask because ss someone who has never watched the game, it seems a fairly innocuous act.

Likewise with ball-tampering in cricket - I find it hard to get too uptight about it, because I suspect it's been going on for decades, and it's one of those things where you only cry foul when it's the  "other" team that does it.

Edited by rdavenport

Sign stealing is "ok"  if it's done on the field as part of the on-field alertness. What the Astros did was far beyond that. They used technology in a systematic way. Way beyond normal Spy vs Spy gamesmanship. That's more like Mafia shit.

Ball tampering otoh...part of the game as long as you don't get caught. Some very high profile players are rumored to have done it, but they didn't get caught, so...

There's a latent criminality in every competitive endeavor, a with it comes lines that are generally agreed on that shouldn't be crossed - past a certain point!