• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one World Series game I went to, we paid $1400 for two tickets that were nosebleed-y, but still behind home plate. We still had the game in front of us, and a good game it was.

It was crazy money, but I can always say that I took my son to a World Series game.

Maybe I can get him to pay for my cricket ticket now? :g

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

MLB games (Texas Rangers) are now priced  anywhere from $26 to $399. The cheaper seat get you up in the "nosebleed section", in the outfield so the more you pay, the closer to the action (from the infield views) you get.

The seats I like that I can afford go for about $100 per. This is more than it used to be. When we started going to games at the old-old stadium,, you could get good seats for around $35. Then at the old-new stadium about $65. And now, this.

The games are shorter now, thanks to some new rules mostly having to do with timed plays and "cat and mouse" type things. The average game length is now 2:36, but 3 hours is still possible.

So, cricket is going to be cheaper, and last about as long as a quick MLB game. Although, the new-new stadium has a retractable roof and is air-conditioned. In Texas, that matters!

What I can't answer to is concession prices.

Thanks. Indeed- about the same duration and not dissimilar pricing.  

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

So apparently the US team's match today was rained out (Fort Lauderdale, Florida), which gives us enough total points to make the Top Eight...am I getting that right?

Correct - quite a turn up. I think everyone expected India and Pakistan to go through.

"let's drop a few and keep the Poms guessing lads"

And hopefully the first part of a good 48 hours for England. Hopefully a little more convincingly so this evening

Edited by mjazzg

US put up a valiant effort this morning, but their bowling had already rendered the point mostly moot. Good hitting beats bad pitching ..

Watching West Indies/England right now. No real idea about the strength of either team, so this will be fun.

Every time I watch West Indies they knock the shit out of the ball as often as not. Tonight, to this point, is no exception.

I don't know enough to critique bowlers and bowling yet, but it sure seems that WI bowlershad a few really terrible overs.

But WI's offense hit a big lull before coming alive again. They could have had a much bigger total but for that.

I guess this is all part of the game. Like baseball, it might look like it moves slowly, but really, there's always a game going on!

After learning the lesson to not put any faith in a team that only advances a level due to a rainout, I'm just along for the ride from here on out.

The South Africa/West Indies match yesterday actually go pretty dramatic due to the rain shortened SA inning. It should have been a pretty handy romp, and started out to be, but then...good pitching/bowling beating good hitting again, and an upset kept looking more and more possible. The last over had SA down by just 5, but a few dot balls(?) and other efficiencies here and there would have shut them down.

But - the first pitch sailed over the boundary for an easy 6, and POOF, there goes the upset. Just like that.

Nobody can tell me that cricket is boring and lacking in drama, not after that match.

It was great that USA got as far as they did.

T20 as a format favours batters but they way in which bowlers have adapted has been a fascinating aspect. It's brought spinners right back into focus as well.

And yes "dot balls" essential jargon

Still trying to wrap my head around how weather can not just delay or shorten a match, but actually alter the necessary playing time once play is resumed... that's crazy! But that's how it goes.

Is there an algorithm used to recalculate everything? Or what?

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Still trying to wrap my head around how weather can not just delay or shorten a match, but actually alter the necessary playing time once play is resumed... that's crazy! But that's how it goes.

Is there an algorithm used to recalculate everything? Or what?

Here you go........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth–Lewis–Stern_method

I don't think anyone fully understands this method, which has been around for years now. Scoreboards at games now have a running "DLS target" which is updated ball-by-ball throughout the chasing innings so you don't have to try and work it out yourself. 

Edited by rdavenport