RIP Kiane Ziwadi (née Bernard McKinney)

trane_fanatic

RIP - I first became aware of him from the initial LP issue circa 1980 of Mobley's 'Slice of the Top' and being suitably impressed. Saw him about 20 years ago in Charles Tolliver's Big Band, where he was doubling bass trombone and tuba I think.

I played the baritone horn in my high school band and when I first got into Jazz, I was surprised to find that there were bari horn players on a few dates. I was talking about it on-line somewhere and I got into a little e-mail exchange with Zawadi about it. I wish I had those e-mails but they are long gone. Looking back, there are so many e-mail exchanges I wished I kept, but I always treated e-mails as a temporary things & deleted them after reading them to save drive space.

I never put his birth name together with the photo below, until now. 

RIP (and hope people enjoy bonus of a Roland Alexander photo, who I see was mentioned as his steady partner in music in the obit linked above).

KIane-Zawadi-Roland-Alexander-Best.jpg

Leonard Gaskin Papers, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution

Edited by Dan Gould