Such Sweet Thunder

medjuck

I forget (if I ever knew) the details of the stereo verses mono versions of the Ellington/ Strayhorn  "Such Sweet Thunder".  I remember that the stereo version of "Up and Down.." doesn't have Clark Terry quoting "Oh what fools these mortals be.." at the end, but are all (or any) of the other tracks also different?

BTW The mono version of “Up and Down” can be found on the cd entitled “Ralph Ellison, a Life in Music” as well as the box set “The Complete Columbia Studio Albums Collection 1951-1958” which has the mono version of SST as well as a couple of stereo masters  of other songs and other recordings from the period. 

Edited by medjuck

Ooops, I was wrong about the Complete Columbia box set.  Though the notes claim it's the original mono it's actually the stereo version of the whole set.  I guess you can only get the "correct" version on the original Lp or the Ralph Ellison cd. 

41 minutes ago, B. Clugston said:

All in mono.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3526391-Duke-Ellington-And-His-Orchestra-Such-Sweet-Thunder

22 hours ago, medjuck said:

BTW The mono version of “Up and Down” can be found on the cd entitled “Ralph Ellison, a Life in Music” .....

Could you please post a link? I can't find this issue ....

On 6/3/2024 at 9:03 PM, mikeweil said:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3526391-Duke-Ellington-And-His-Orchestra-Such-Sweet-Thunder

Could you please post a link? I can't find this issue ....

I may be nitpicking here, but I have this exact CD and some of the tracks are "quasi mono", others are stereo (ex: tracks 4, 10 and 12). Close enough, I guess.