• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Less than a week in, here's the status so far: 

Tracks fully ID'd: 1, 2, 12 & 14

Partial IDs: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ,8, 10, 11, 13

The Mystery: 9

Partial IDs range from a singular artist involved being named to just about the whole thing but not quite enough. 

Hopefully others will chime in with thoughts. 

23 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

12 days into June and only 5 contributors so far. Plenty to guess here still, so if you get time please share some thoughts. 

I know I usually contribute (poorly) but its been a rough start to June and I will be out of town this weekend ... I hope to listen and post sometime after.

16 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I know I usually contribute (poorly) but its been a rough start to June and I will be out of town this weekend ... I hope to listen and post sometime after.

Looking forward to it 👍 

I may switch months next year, depending on what's available.

42 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I think it's a function of having fewer active members.

Agreed and fewer still want to put their necks out and make comments on unfamiliar music.

I feel like I should also point out that right now September remains open for this year.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Agreed and fewer still want to put their necks out and make comments on unfamiliar music.

I still say that laying the guessing game is fun, but it's more than ok to not even try to guess and just give your impressions of what you're hearing. That way, there are no wrong answers!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

This is a good collection.

Recom

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

mended!

Thanks! 

Putting together these BFTs takes some time and while I don't stack them with my favorite tracks, I do try to include interesting/good songs that maybe not everyone is familiar with. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard. 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

If anyone is out there and feeling shy about contributing, just go back and read some of my own responses to other BFTs. I barely guess anyone correctly, and am off in one day or another otherwise. You literally can't do any worse. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I still say that laying the guessing game is fun, but it's more than ok to not even try to guess and just give your impressions of what you're hearing. That way, there are no wrong answers!

This is where I usually live bc unless I'm familiar with the tune, its hard for me to make an accurate guess. If I get one right, it's along the lines of a broken clock being correct twice a day - purely accidental! 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

When it started to get silly (imo), I was reminded of the work that Richards did for Boyd Raeburn.

Raeburn might be a good pick for a BFT. Hmmm...

I don't have any other music like Richards', and that all comes from the Mosaic Select. There are some real gems of playing on that set (Seldon Powell!), but the accoutrements of Richard's compositions can be challenging to get through at times. This is one of those tracks. 

Seems like the ECM has to be 8 (with Dave Holland) or 6 (with Muhal Richard Abrams).  The only Abrams I found on ECM so far is a live Jack DeJohnette, Made in Chicago and the big Art Ensemble of Chicago box set.

Edited by randyhersom

32 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Seems like the ECM has to be 8 (with Dave Holland) or 6 (with Muhal Richard Abrams).  The only Abrams I found on ECM so far is a live Jack DeJohnette, Made in Chicago and the big Art Ensemble of Chicago box set.

The ECM cut is 8. The Abrams track is from a well known adjacent label. 

Posted (edited)

Foot traffic in the BFT listening room this month remains scarce. I think it's Ken's turn next month and I'm betting he's been cooking up some selections that hopefully attract some more ears. 

About 9 days left on this one. One mystery track is left but there's a decent amount of partials to fill in some gaps as well. 

Edited by Dub Modal
Added words

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Foot traffic in the BFT listening room this month remains scarce. I think it's Ken's turn next month and I'm betting he's been cooking up some selections that hopefully attract some more ears. 

About 9 days left on this one. One mystery track is left but there's a decent amount of partials to fill in some gaps as well. 

Thanks for the reminder ... I will do my darndest to listen and post (weakly) this weekend.

2 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I'm next, Ken's August.  I supposed I should get about putting that thing together, though.  :D

22 minutes ago, tkeith said:

I'm next, Ken's August.  I supposed I should get about putting that thing together, though.  :D

Well, it's not like you have to send it to anyone to post!