BFT 243 Discussion

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope this was worth the wait, DM:

TRACK 1: I like this, wish there was more tenor. 3.5 stars.

TRACK 2: It Had to Be You. Not for Felser but I like it fine. 3 stars.

TRACK 3: Not feeling this as much. 2 1/2 stars.

TRACK 4: Still in a pre-bop zone and I am starting to wish the clarinet was not so heavily featured in that era. Piano is the highlight for me here. 3 stars.

TRACK 5:  Really reaching my limit on clarinet. 2 1/2 stars.

TRACK 6 thru 9: Oh how I wish there was more pre-bop clarinet you could have chosen. 0 stars. (And special mention for Track 9 which reminds me why I don't find Bill Evan's post-Miles work remotely special. Give me some swing and blues. Junior Mance. Gene Harris. Not this.)

TRACK 10: Back to pre-bop and not a moment too soon. 3.5 stars.

TRACK 11:  Nice. 3 stars.

TRACK 12: This grew on me and gets the highest mark: 4 stars.

TRACK 13: OK organ groover.  Would have preferred more solo voices, less organ. 3 stars.

TRACK 14: A little of this classic Coltrane style goes a long way for me. 2 3/4 stars.

I did read the thread and can say I am on the hunt for the Cliff Jordan recording, which I had never heard before. So that is the definite benefit of finally listening to this BFT.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I hope this was worth the wait, DM:

TRACK 1: I like this, wish there was more tenor. 3.5 stars.

TRACK 2: It Had to Be You. Not for Felser but I like it fine. 3 stars.

TRACK 3: Not feeling this as much. 2 1/2 stars.

TRACK 4: Still in a pre-bop zone and I am starting to wish the clarinet was not so heavily featured in that era. Piano is the highlight for me here. 3 stars.

TRACK 5:  Really reaching my limit on clarinet. 2 1/2 stars.

TRACK 6 thru 9: Oh how I wish there was more pre-bop clarinet you could have chosen. 0 stars. (And special mention for Track 9 which reminds me why I don't find Bill Evan's post-Miles work remotely special. Give me some swing and blues. Junior Mance. Gene Harris. Not this.)

TRACK 10: Back to pre-bop and not a moment too soon. 3.5 stars.

TRACK 11:  Nice. 3 stars.

TRACK 12: This grew on me and gets the highest mark: 4 stars.

TRACK 13: OK organ groover.  Would have preferred more solo voices, less organ. 3 stars.

TRACK 14: A little of this classic Coltrane style goes a long way for me. 2 3/4 stars.

I did read the thread and can say I am on the hunt for the Cliff Jordan recording, which I had never heard before. So that is the definite benefit of finally listening to this BFT.

Thanks!

Definitely worth the wait bc your take on tracks 6-9 literally made me lol. I was already smiling at you reaching the limit on clarinet but that next remark just sent me over. Thanks for that!

Also glad you dug the Clifford album. It's unique to his catalog and maybe even most jazz in general, and it's fantastic. 

Very much appreciate the comments! And I swear that the prevalence of clarinet here was completely accidental. As were having two tracks with Johnny Smith. The chips fell in an interesting way here. 

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

I really appreciate there being some Johnny Hodges soprano on here. He was marvelous on that horn.

He was. It makes me want to create a Hodges on soprano playlist.