BFT 243 Discussion

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fun set of tunes.

1: As soon as I heard the guitar, I knew who it was.  When the tenor joined in, I knew what it was.  It's track 3-13 from this.

2: Art Tatum.  Buddy De Franco?  It Had To Be You.

3: Don Byas with a big band?

4: Something classic on Blue Note?  Doesn't sound like Art Hodes, and there were no clarinets on BN.  Fun, upbeat tune.

5: Archaic rhythm.  I hear a banjo.  Lu Watters?

6: More cowbell!  Is this Muhal or some other AACM-aligned group?  Long bass solo.  Sirone?

7: No clue.  Sounds like it straddles jazz and classical.  When I heard guitar, I thought it might be Johnny Smith on Schoenberg's Serenade Op. 24, but no.

8: Bass & indian percussion?  Very driving, in the pocket.  I like this.  Going to guess Dave Holland.

9: Piano - bass - drums, possibly led by bassist.  No clue who.

10: Sidney Bechet.

11. S'posin.  Sprightly large band arrangement.  Can't identify.

12. Fun.  Arthur Blythe?

13. Sax sounds familiar.  Organ, separate bassist.  Disco sound.  Something on Muse?

14. Funky sound quality.  Drummer sounds like Elvin.  Beyond that, I can only guess.  Dave Liebman or George Coleman?

BFT 243

1 – Nice cut.  I enjoy that walking bass!  Good guitar.   Tal Farlow?

2 – Pre-bop musicians?   I’m sure it’s well done, but doesn’t hit for me.

3-5 are all well outside of my listening domain.

6 – Too manic for me, I don’t like the static rhythm or the solos.

7 – Third Stream, which I have to be in the mood for.

8 – I like this.  Lots going on rhythmically, but it has room to breathe.

9 – ECM written all over it?   Good bass player.  Very pretty, and I like how the pianist gets frisky in the second half.

10 -  See #2.

11 – Well done for what it is, but not my thing.

12 – I do like this.

13 – Now you’re in one of my lanes, good cut.

14 – I love any version of Frank Foster’s great “Simone” by anyone!   By far my favorite cut on this BFT, even with the poor fidelity.  Is this Foster himself, maybe with Chick Corea, Gene Perla, and Elvin Jones?

Thanks for the varied BFT!

On 5/31/2024 at 10:33 PM, mjzee said:

Fun set of tunes.

1: As soon as I heard the guitar, I knew who it was.  When the tenor joined in, I knew what it was.  It's track 3-13 from this

2: Art Tatum.  Buddy De Franco?  It Had To Be You.

3: Don Byas with a big band?

4: Something classic on Blue Note?  Doesn't sound like Art Hodes, and there were no clarinets on BN.  Fun, upbeat tune.

5: Archaic rhythm.  I hear a banjo.  Lu Watters?

6: More cowbell!  Is this Muhal or some other AACM-aligned group?  Long bass solo.  Sirone?

7: No clue.  Sounds like it straddles jazz and classical.  When I heard guitar, I thought it might be Johnny Smith on Schoenberg's Serenade Op. 24, but no.

8: Bass & indian percussion?  Very driving, in the pocket.  I like this.  Going to guess Dave Holland.

9: Piano - bass - drums, possibly led by bassist.  No clue who.

10: Sidney Bechet.

11. S'posin.  Sprightly large band arrangement.  Can't identify.

12. Fun.  Arthur Blythe?

13. Sax sounds familiar.  Organ, separate bassist.  Disco sound.  Something on Muse?

14. Funky sound quality.  Drummer sounds like Elvin.  Beyond that, I can only guess.  Dave Liebman or George Coleman?

1. Correct! I love that set and this song stands out. 

2. Correct on the song, but not De Franco or Tatum. 

3. Not Byas

4. Not Blue Note or Hodes. 

5. Not Watters. Agree on the archaic rhythm, and I suspect this song is much older than this recording date. 

6. Correct on Muhal! Nice work. Not Sirone. 

7. Damn, good on Johnny Smith here too! It's his work on this song as the reason this is included. But he's not the leader on this tune...

8. Holland on bass. You're all over this BFT! Good work. Not his date though. 

9. Not the bassist's date. 

10. Not Bechet. 

11. Correct on song title! 

12. Not Blythe

13. Not a Muse title, but there is a bassist involved. Good ears.

14. Not Coleman or Liebman. No Elvin. 

Great job! Glad you enjoyed the set. 

19 hours ago, felser said:

BFT 243

1 – Nice cut.  I enjoy that walking bass!  Good guitar.   Tal Farlow?

2 – Pre-bop musicians?   I’m sure it’s well done, but doesn’t hit for me.

3-5 are all well outside of my listening domain.

6 – Too manic for me, I don’t like the static rhythm or the solos.

7 – Third Stream, which I have to be in the mood for.

8 – I like this.  Lots going on rhythmically, but it has room to breathe.

9 – ECM written all over it?   Good bass player.  Very pretty, and I like how the pianist gets frisky in the second half.

10 -  See #2.

11 – Well done for what it is, but not my thing.

12 – I do like this.

13 – Now you’re in one of my lanes, good cut.

14 – I love any version of Frank Foster’s great “Simone” by anyone!   By far my favorite cut on this BFT, even with the poor fidelity.  Is this Foster himself, maybe with Chick Corea, Gene Perla, and Elvin Jones?

Thanks for the varied BFT!

Very welcome!

1. Not Farlow. Guessed by mjzee above. 

9. Not ECM actually. Although there's an ECM track on this BFT. 

14. I'm not sure of any connection to Foster's Simone - it's not him or any of the others. They are playing someone's composition who is not in the band, and maybe it was originally based on Foster's song...? I'm not sure. Glad you dug this though. 

I didn't get any Aurora here, too cludy, but this will do!

TRACK ONE - The tune is "Tabu". Guitarist is fleet (can't think of any other word...). Getz? They're bebop players, but the overall vie is not unlike a Benny Goodman small group with a touch of Tristano thrown in. I like it well enough.

TRACK TWO - Why did it have to be me? Early 40s? Teddy Wilson, almost has to be. Sleuthing pulls up an Edmond Hall Commodore date. Good stuff, unfettered!

TRACK THREE - a true flagwaver! My guess would have been Lunceford, but then that piano...harmonically, this sounds like it's hinting at soon-to-come bebop and that tenor player is hitting on Budd Johnson. Sounds like an RCA recording. Earl Hines?

TRACK FOUR - Everybody have fun!!! Pee Wee on clarinet? Much love for Pee Wee here. The whole thing is a bit...intentional, but nobody gets hurt. Pee Wee is the show for me here, much love for Pee Wee.

TRACK FIVE - Stompin'! Those changes...hard-wired. Yeah, this is pretty basic (in the good way". I keep wanting to sing "Playmate", but it's not that. I like it.

TRACK SIX - A logical extension of Baby Dodds in the opening. George Lewis? Like the tenor player, some specific ideas. Pianist is all in. VERY nice bass playing! Good cut, everybody is focused on the matter at hand, no superfluous wandering.

TRACK SEVEN - Wagnerian!!!! Oh, an electric guitar!!! And then it gets a bit silly, can't settle on any one idea for too long. In a world of its own, it has merit. In a bigger world it's an interesting curiosity. Credit for ambition, I'll say that.

TRACK EIGHT - Tabla(?) and bass duet, I like it, like the flow. And it's a good length, doesn't wear out its welcome. Good music.

TRACK NINE - The harmonic "straying" is what makes this for me. Otherwise it sounds like a typical post-Bill Evans navel-gazing, "sensitive" excursion where everybody "interacts".

TRACK TEN -  Hodges on soprano? Is this a Duke date? Yeah, that trumpet. Similar to "Echoes Of Harlem" but not that. Duke would use old ideas and tinker with them until they morphed. Ok, Carney. Seals the deal. Such a collection of voices, individually and collectively.

TRACK ELEVEN - This is hip. Chart is like a busy Gerry Mulligan thing. But tuba...oh my, I don't know. but this is hip.  And that singer is sexy.

TRACK TWELVE - Clifford Jordan. Totally on time!

TRACK THIRTEEN - Sounds familiar, but not readily identifiable. I like the tune a lot and wish they had jammed on that more instead of the vamp. But oh well. A solid groover.

TRACK FOURTEEN - This is tough...on the one hand, generic, but on the other hand, not. And very passionately performed. Kinda reminds me of that 1965 Charles Gayle date, only there's no piano on that one. The longer this goes on, the more I like it. It's a McCoy tune, right? "Contemplation". I don't think this a live/audience recording of a McCoy group, but maybe it is? No, it can't be. The drummer is too "sloppy" (in the good way. Looking forward to the reveal on this one!

A nice set, full of interesting music and no cliches. Thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you!

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

I didn't get any Aurora here, too cludy, but this will do!

TRACK ONE - The tune is "Tabu". Guitarist is fleet (can't think of any other word...). Getz? They're bebop players, but the overall vie is not unlike a Benny Goodman small group with a touch of Tristano thrown in. I like it well enough.

TRACK TWO - Why did it have to be me? Early 40s? Teddy Wilson, almost has to be. Sleuthing pulls up an Edmond Hall Commodore date. Good stuff, unfettered!

TRACK THREE - a true flagwaver! My guess would have been Lunceford, but then that piano...harmonically, this sounds like it's hinting at soon-to-come bebop and that tenor player is hitting on Budd Johnson. Sounds like an RCA recording. Earl Hines?

TRACK FOUR - Everybody have fun!!! Pee Wee on clarinet? Much love for Pee Wee here. The whole thing is a bit...intentional, but nobody gets hurt. Pee Wee is the show for me here, much love for Pee Wee.

TRACK FIVE - Stompin'! Those changes...hard-wired. Yeah, this is pretty basic (in the good way". I keep wanting to sing "Playmate", but it's not that. I like it.

TRACK SIX - A logical extension of Baby Dodds in the opening. George Lewis? Like the tenor player, some specific ideas. Pianist is all in. VERY nice bass playing! Good cut, everybody is focused on the matter at hand, no superfluous wandering.

TRACK SEVEN - Wagnerian!!!! Oh, an electric guitar!!! And then it gets a bit silly, can't settle on any one idea for too long. In a world of its own, it has merit. In a bigger world it's an interesting curiosity. Credit for ambition, I'll say that.

TRACK EIGHT - Tabla(?) and bass duet, I like it, like the flow. And it's a good length, doesn't wear out its welcome. Good music.

TRACK NINE - The harmonic "straying" is what makes this for me. Otherwise it sounds like a typical post-Bill Evans navel-gazing, "sensitive" excursion where everybody "interacts".

TRACK TEN -  Hodges on soprano? Is this a Duke date? Yeah, that trumpet. Similar to "Echoes Of Harlem" but not that. Duke would use old ideas and tinker with them until they morphed. Ok, Carney. Seals the deal. Such a collection of voices, individually and collectively.

TRACK ELEVEN - This is hip. Chart is like a busy Gerry Mulligan thing. But tuba...oh my, I don't know. but this is hip.  And that singer is sexy.

TRACK TWELVE - Clifford Jordan. Totally on time!

TRACK THIRTEEN - Sounds familiar, but not readily identifiable. I like the tune a lot and wish they had jammed on that more instead of the vamp. But oh well. A solid groover.

TRACK FOURTEEN - This is tough...on the one hand, generic, but on the other hand, not. And very passionately performed. Kinda reminds me of that 1965 Charles Gayle date, only there's no piano on that one. The longer this goes on, the more I like it. It's a McCoy tune, right? "Contemplation". I don't think this a live/audience recording of a McCoy group, but maybe it is? No, it can't be. The drummer is too "sloppy" (in the good way. Looking forward to the reveal on this one!

A nice set, full of interesting music and no cliches. Thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed it!

1. Right on the song title and Getz. ID'd earlier. Johnny Smith would be the fleet guitarist. I think that description fits here. I like how he jumps into his solo here. 

2. Teddy Wilson and Ed Hall correct! Unfettered indeed. 

3. Spot on with Earl Hines. 

4. Pee Wee it is! You're on fire. He's not the leader but sleuthing the rest is probably easier now. 

5. Basic yeah, but a lot of purpose behind that. 

6. No George Lewis here. Muhal Richard Abrams IDd as on keys. 

7. I'm pretty sure you could sleuth this one. 

8. Tabla for sure 

12. Yep, Clifford Jordan it is! 

14. Spot on again with Contemplation. Impressive for sure. No Gayle though...

Excellent job naming a bunch of these players and tunes. 

1. Maybe Kenny Burrell.
2. Teddy Wilson?
3. I don't think Basie bands featured the clarinet this much.  Maybe Benny Goodman?
4. New Orleans style is the term always favored by those in the know over the more offensive southern associated term.  Can't rule out Louis Armstrong.
5. I'll try Sidney Bechet
6. I wondered about Grachan Moncur.
7. This could be actual classical, maybe Grieg or Mussorgsky, if not the influence is very strong.  But wait, an electric guitar.  I think there's a Burrell on Verve with Forms in the title that this might fit.
8. Bass and tabla!  I  think I would know it if it were Oregon.  Nana Vasconcelos?
9. All about the piano, and gorgeous
10. Feels like Duke Ellington
11. Rosemary Clooney?
12. It's probably a later band, but this has a real Charles Mingus feel.  
13. Charles Earland?
14. This is so Coltrane Classic Quartet!  Maybe one of the 21st century releases like Both Directions at Once.   Well, not that one since it's live.

Edited by randyhersom

12 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

1. Maybe Kenny Burrell.
2. Teddy Wilson?
3. I don't think Basie bands featured the clarinet this much.  Maybe Benny Goodman?
4. New Orleans style is the term always favored by those in the know over the more offensive southern associated term.  Can't rule out Louis Armstrong.
5. I'll try Sidney Bechet
6. I wondered about Grachan Moncur.
7. This could be actual classical, maybe Grieg or Mussorgsky, if not the influence is very strong.  But wait, an electric guitar.  I think there's a Burrell on Verve with Forms in the title that this might fit.
8. Bass and tabla!  I  think I would know it if it were Oregon.  Nana Vasconcelos?
9. All about the piano, and gorgeous
10. Feels like Duke Ellington
11. Rosemary Clooney?
12. It's probably a later band, but this has a real Charles Mingus feel.  Well, not that one sinceit's live
13. Charles Earland?
14. This is so Coltrane Classic Quartet!  Maybe one of the 21st century releases like Both Directions at Once.  

1. Not Kenny. Track ID'd fully 

2. Teddy Wilson is correct!

3. Not Goodman. Partially IDd above. 

4. Not Louis. The clarinet player was IDd by Jsngry above

5. Not Bechet. No one has guessed this one yet. 

6. Not Moncur. Mjzee IDd Muhal Abrams. 

7. None of those. 

8. Not Nana

9. Glad you dug this

10. Yep, it's Duke

11. Not Clooney. See the convo above. 

12. Sax player IDd by Jsngry, but there's a Mingus connection. 

13. Not Earland

14. Not Trane

Thanks for taking the time, hope you enjoyed it. 

25 minutes ago, JSngry said:

They were married. How did THAT happen?

Someone, somewhere has that story. 

Listening on the laptop, but doesn't seem like this was an audiophile set, so... :D 

Track 01 - Left coasty feel.  Odd sound, but I like it.  Some east sneaking into that piano solo.  Cooks and it's interesting, though probably not the first thing I'd reach for.  Cool tune.  Only sure of who it isn't.

Track 02 - Wasn't me. Reading a social media post from a bud recently about how much he loves the sound of the clarinet.  Not me.  ;) No guesses.  Quite listenable in spite of the clarinet.  

Track 03 - Sounds like a movie theme, or maybe a montage sequence soundtrack.  Enjoying it, but again, not likely to be the first thing I reach for.  I don't know the individual players.  Tenor is interesting.

Track 04 - Copy and paste.  Listenable, but B-side ranking in the stack.  Just not my preferred neighborhood.  Have friends who have a band plays a lot of this sort of stuff -- heavy NOLA influence.  Fun to see live, not my first choice.

Track 05 - More clarinet but with bad sound.  Nope.  I think I only know the parody lyrics to this song if it's what I think it is.  

Track 06 - Time period is closer, but something not working for me about the horn lines.  I don't mine discordant, but not sure it works here.  Rhythm of the trombone seems sloppy.  Maybe by intent, but sounds more like it's just... off.  I hate to put it this way, but I'm just not buying it.  I'm missing the story.  Things trend up in the exchange section and the bass solo, but overall a whiff for me.

Track 07 - Seems to have a contemporary classical bent.  Generally not my thing.  The flute is interesting, the horns/tympany aren't doing it for me.  Just shy of 2:30, goes into a very pleasant place.  Maybe not my first choice from the stacks, but a very enjoyable feel.  Lop off that intro, and I'm in.  When the pace drops off, so does my interest.  Nothing against slower pace, but this just isn't maintaining my interest.  Purely a matter of preference, but not for me.

Track 08 - Yes, please.  Vampy bass line and hand drums?  Absolutely.  Kinda hoped it would head somewhere.  Enjoyable, but lacked a payoff.

Track 09 - Like feel of this.  Almost a Tomas Stanko vibe.  Really appreciate the control of the bass solo.  Taking what's there without giving the sense they're trying to show what the intracies of what they know.  Pianist could learn a bit from the bassist in that regard.  Drummer is supportive and doesn't get in the way, but the bass is the highlight for me.

Track 10 - Like this a lot.  No idea what I'm listening to.  Obvious guess would be Bechet, but sounds more like someone embracing the style (or a conntemporary).

Track 11 - 'Sposin' I'm not sure who this is.  Enjoyable.

Track 12 - CLIFF!  Track A4 from this.  This showed up in the stack of a late relative, sans cover.  I was already a big Clifford fan, but wasn't familiar with this at the time (though knew the tune from the pop cover).  Clifford is one of those lifetime talent-deserving-wider-recognition guys for me.

Track 13 - At first I was thinking Earland, but it's McDuff.  I can't tell you anything else about it, though.  Not sure who the tenor is, but I didn't really feel it.

Track 14 - This is tough.  As a curmudgeon, I'm supposed to be cranky about this borrowing from Coltrane/Alice Coltrane, but I love this.  I'd take 14 cuts like this.  Okay, I thought it was heading in this direction.  McCoy's tune, so that part tracks.  Piano had me thinking McCoy on the wrong speed, but the feel is there.  Possibly early Joe McPhee?  Reminds me a bit of Nation Time in terms of sound and feel.  Not sure I fully buy the drummer, but the feel is right and I'm going to give him a pass.  This has feel and story.  13 more of these, please.

But for track 12, all new to me.  Likely give this another spin at some point just to listen.

I'll be damned.  I was going to say Getz on track 01, but thought my ears were being too basic.  And I HAVE that set (but I'm not a big Getz guy). 

Edited by tkeith

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Listening on the laptop, but doesn't seem like this was an audiophile set, so... :D 

Track 01 - Left coasty feel.  Odd sound, but I like it.  Some east sneaking into that piano solo.  Cooks and it's interesting, though probably not the first thing I'd reach for.  Cool tune.  Only sure of who it isn't.

Track 02 - Wasn't me. Reading a social media post from a bud recently about how much he loves the sound of the clarinet.  Not me.  ;) No guesses.  Quite listenable in spite of the clarinet.  

Track 03 - Sounds like a movie theme, or maybe a montage sequence soundtrack.  Enjoying it, but again, not likely to be the first thing I reach for.  I don't know the individual players.  Tenor is interesting.

Track 04 - Copy and paste.  Listenable, but B-side ranking in the stack.  Just not my preferred neighborhood.  Have friends who have a band plays a lot of this sort of stuff -- heavy NOLA influence.  Fun to see live, not my first choice.

Track 05 - More clarinet but with bad sound.  Nope.  I think I only know the parody lyrics to this song if it's what I think it is.  

Track 06 - Time period is closer, but something not working for me about the horn lines.  I don't mine discordant, but not sure it works here.  Rhythm of the trombone seems sloppy.  Maybe by intent, but sounds more like it's just... off.  I hate to put it this way, but I'm just not buying it.  I'm missing the story.  Things trend up in the exchange section and the bass solo, but overall a whiff for me.

Track 07 - Seems to have a contemporary classical bent.  Generally not my thing.  The flute is interesting, the horns/tympany aren't doing it for me.  Just shy of 2:30, goes into a very pleasant place.  Maybe not my first choice from the stacks, but a very enjoyable feel.  Lop off that intro, and I'm in.  When the pace drops off, so does my interest.  Nothing against slower pace, but this just isn't maintaining my interest.  Purely a matter of preference, but not for me.

Track 08 - Yes, please.  Vampy bass line and hand drums?  Absolutely.  Kinda hoped it would head somewhere.  Enjoyable, but lacked a payoff.

Track 09 - Like feel of this.  Almost a Tomas Stanko vibe.  Really appreciate the control of the bass solo.  Taking what's there without giving the sense they're trying to show what the intracies of what they know.  Pianist could learn a bit from the bassist in that regard.  Drummer is supportive and doesn't get in the way, but the bass is the highlight for me.

Track 10 - Like this a lot.  No idea what I'm listening to.  Obvious guess would be Bechet, but sounds more like someone embracing the style (or a conntemporary).

Track 11 - 'Sposin' I'm not sure who this is.  Enjoyable.

Track 12 - CLIFF!  Track A4 from this.  This showed up in the stack of a late relative, sans cover.  I was already a big Clifford fan, but wasn't familiar with this at the time (though knew the tune from the pop cover).  Clifford is one of those lifetime talent-deserving-wider-recognition guys for me.

Track 13 - At first I was thinking Earland, but it's McDuff.  I can't tell you anything else about it, though.  Not sure who the tenor is, but I didn't really feel it.

Track 14 - This is tough.  As a curmudgeon, I'm supposed to be cranky about this borrowing from Coltrane/Alice Coltrane, but I love this.  I'd take 14 cuts like this.  Okay, I thought it was heading in this direction.  McCoy's tune, so that part tracks.  Piano had me thinking McCoy on the wrong speed, but the feel is there.  Possibly early Joe McPhee?  Reminds me a bit of Nation Time in terms of sound and feel.  Not sure I fully buy the drummer, but the feel is right and I'm going to give him a pass.  This has feel and story.  13 more of these, please.

But for track 12, all new to me.  Likely give this another spin at some point just to listen.

Far and away not an audiophile set lol. Thanks for listening and sharing some thoughts. It wasn't my original intent to have this many clarinet times but it ended up that way. BFTs can be funny and take a life of their own when trying to put them together.

Fwiw, the clarinetist on track 2 is Ed Hall (IDd above) and it seems like of those songs this was the better one for you. What do you think track 5 is? No one has guessed it yet. 

You nailed tracks 12-14. Yes to McDuff and McPhee! How did you come around to knowing it was McDuff on 13? 

Edited by Dub Modal

On 6/4/2024 at 4:31 PM, Dub Modal said:

Far and away not an audiophile set lol. Thanks for listening and sharing some thoughts. It wasn't my original intent to have this many clarinet times but it ended up that way. BFTs can be funny and take a life of their own when trying to put them together.

Fwiw, the clarinetist on track 2 is Ed Hall (IDd above) and it seems like of those songs this was the better one for you. What do you think track 5 is? No one has guessed it yet. 

You nailed tracks 12-14. Yes to McDuff and McPhee! How did you come around to knowing it was McDuff on 13? 

Something about the phrasing (not sure if it's voicings or rhythmic patterns) leaned me that way.

Track 5 had me thinking of John Valby lyrics, but there's another song that comes to mind -- a Chuck Berry tune.

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Here's the song with the changes I had in mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playmates_(song)

Sweet Little Sixteen was the Chuck song I was thinking of.  (You really don't want to know about the other one.)

@Dub Modal, Edmund Hall makes sense, as he's one of the few clarinetists in my collection.  Apologies, I overlooked that McPhee was correct.  Is this, then, from the expanded set of the Nation Time stuff?