Covid Still Sucks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

I've been dealing with it this week, too. Getting better, but it was a little worse than when I got it a couple years ago. Still coughing.

Almost 4 weeks after getting Covid, I still have a nagging cough. It gets worse at night.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Almost 4 weeks after getting Covid, I still have a nagging cough. It gets worse at night.

the cough part was the worst thing about it when I had it a year and a half ago. You probably have done this but I found that a cough suppressant was extremely helpful, like Robitussin.

22 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

the cough part was the worst thing about it when I had it a year and a half ago. You probably have done this but I found that a cough suppressant was extremely helpful, like Robitussin.

If it gets real bad at night, I take a Mucinex DM and it helps a lot.

This cough is annoying but at least I still have my sense of taste. I know several people who can't taste anything. I would have some trouble with that. I'd have a lot of wine down in my cellar that I'd have to get rid of. :)

I've found most over the counter cough syrups to be useless, but I found one on Amazon that really works: Buckley's.  It's expensive and tastes astonishingly awful, but it works.  I found that it interrupts the cough syndrome (coughing because your throat's irritated from coughing), and allowed me to sleep at night.  It's worth checking out.  Read the Amazon reviews: people are amazed at how awful it tastes - they're pretty funny.

It's Canadian!

And the ingredients alone are, uh...intimidating from a flavor standpoint....and they are proud of it!

https://www.buckleys.ca/faq/

https://www.buckleys.ca/products/syrups/original-mixture/

Active Ingredients

Each teaspoonful (5 mL) contains: 153 mg ammonium carbonate, 267 mg potassium bicarbonate, 22 mg menthol, and 2.2 mg camphor.

• Non-Medicinal Ingredients

Canada balsam, carrageenan, glycerin, pine needle oil, propylparaben, sodium cyclamate, tincture of capsicum and water.

Wondering why Amazon US is able to sell it, when they say its for Canadians only (allegedly due to them using cyclamate....

That syrup looks pretty intense - especially that pine needle oil extract.

The various models I keep up with show a slight drop in outbreaks in July (ca. 300,000/day)
but that changes drastically beginning late July/early August where it shoots up quickly to
levels that are close to last January's numbers to mid-Oct (the furthest estimates I can see)
at ca. 1.6 million/day. This is still without considering the effects of the recent KP.3.1.1 variant.

Be careful out there.

Edited by rostasi

Significantly better today.

I'm not much of a cough syrup fan, but this time Robitussin DID actually seem to help.

My doctor also told me to take Pseudoephedrine (a more pure version of Sudafed, I think). It's 'over-the-counter', but you probably have to ask for it at the pharmacy. That seemed to help a lot, too.

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

Significantly better today.

I'm not much of a cough syrup fan, but this time Robitussin DID actually seem to help.

My doctor also told me to take Pseudoephedrine (a more pure version of Sudafed, I think). It's 'over-the-counter', but you probably have to ask for it at the pharmacy. That seemed to help a lot, too.

Don't waste your money buying the over-the-counter Sudafed PE. They took pseudophedrine out of Sudafed years ago and replaced it with Phenylephrine, which has been found to be ineffective as a decongestant. If you want a real decongestant, always go the pharmacy and ask for pseudophedrine. They make you fill out a form and show your ID so they can make sure you're not using it to cook meth (which is fucking ridiculous) but it's worth the hassle. FWIW, my wife prefers Advil Cold & Sinus, which contains ibuprofen in addition to pseudophedrine.

17 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Don't waste your money buying the over-the-counter Sudafed PE. They took pseudophedrine out of Sudafed years ago and replaced it with Phenylephrine, which has been found to be ineffective as a decongestant. If you want a real decongestant, always go the pharmacy and ask for pseudophedrine. They make you fill out a form and show your ID so they can make sure you're not using it to cook meth (which is fucking ridiculous) but it's worth the hassle. FWIW, my wife prefers Advil Cold & Sinus, which contains ibuprofen in addition to pseudophedrine.

II always liked Advil Cold & Sinus, too

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Tested positive on Sunday, feeling rough with high temperature etc since Saturday. My last dose was 72 hours of discomfort then tailed off. Hoping this is similar

Get well soon ....

The only time (to my knowledge) that I had COVID was December 2022, and it was pretty unpleasant (worse than a cold, comparable to a mild flu - aches, fatigue, congestion).  I got a paxlovid prescription and it was a miracle drug - worked almost immediately, with little of the metallic taste other people experience - but also symptoms returned once the prescription ended. :(

I assume I'm going to get this virus again from time to time.  It seems to vary a lot by person whether the 2nd time is better or worse than the 1st one.