Bobby Hutcherson Boxed Set

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my order is listed as "Completed" (on the website) as of June 27 but have received no shipping details or confirmation of shipping

spoke too soon - received shipping notice & Fedex # this morning - projected to be here by July 3

Edited by romualdo

Looks like my copy will be landing late tomorrow, just in time for the Fourth (and just as I’m about to wrap up my second tour of the Byas set). Really looking forward to revisiting Hutcherson’s 1960s Blue Note run… haven’t listened to most of those albums in quite awhile.

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The little sung aspect of this set is an hour of previously unreleased material!

Please share your impressions of the Stanley Cowell composition ("Photon...") when you get there.

11 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

7 new alternate takes and one previously unissued tune, titled "Photon In A Paper World" from the "Spiral" session.

Where are the other seven from?  I can easily look up if not off the top of your head 😜

Concur about how good the sound is, though I’m just a few tracks into disc 1. I haven’t listened to any of this music in quite awhile (other than the occasional single piece) and it’s really enjoyable to begin revisiting it this evening. Blue Note Hall of Famers abound on these dates too… interesting and possibly valid what Blumenthal says about Hutcherson’s choice of instrument accounting for an underestimation of Hutch’s 1960s Blue Note legacy as a leader. And so glad that Cuscuna shepherded The Kicker into the market back in 1999 and into this box set as well. Yes, Henderson dominates the proceedings (I can imagine worse things) and the date doesn’t really showcase BH as a leader making his debut. Still, to hear more of Joe H and company here in this particular period is a joy. Looking forward to the previously unreleased stuff to come as I go deeper into the set. Nice to have this to listen to on the holiday eve. 

I guess this is the last set that will have a personal note for Michael Cuscuna.

BTW Who now owns Mosaic?  (I have a vague memory -- many of my memories are vague -that they were once owned by Blue Note. And who now owns Blue Note-- Universal?)