Bobby Hutcherson Boxed Set

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No Montara, Natural Illusions, or Linger Lane.

Both Now and Head On are also going to end up as Mosaic Orphans.

The first group I get. They're unabashedly commercial projects. The second one...not so much. They're not at all commercial. Now acts like it is, but it's not, not really. Imo.

I personally think the Select is perfect, though I agree Montara would fit both spiritually and on the level of quality. Same is true of the Montreux recordings but both those and Montara stand well alone on their individual CD issues.

Linger Lane and Natural Illusions are worth a listen for the curious and completist but I have never been able to get much out of them over time. 

Head On quite frankly never did anything for me either, though I know a lot of people like it quite a bit. 

My final bit of unsolicited opinionating is that I would lop San Francisco off the new Mosaic. It's quite a good date but I don't find it to be on the level of the rest, the sound is spiritually just a bit different; the run from The Kicker through Spiral/Medina is just as perfect a program of music as you could ever ask for.

44 minutes ago, colinmce said:

My final bit of unsolicited opinionating is that I would lop San Francisco off the new Mosaic. It's quite a good date but I don't find it to be on the level of the rest, the sound is spiritually just a bit different; the run from The Kicker through Spiral/Medina is just as perfect a program of music as you could ever ask for.

👍

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

No Montara, Natural Illusions, or Linger Lane.

Both Now and Head On are also going to end up as Mosaic Orphans.

The first group I get. They're unabashedly commercial projects. The second one...not so much. They're not at all commercial. Now acts like it is, but it's not, not really. Imo.

Yes Mosaic Orphans, sadly, but at least on CD (and so presumably streaming).  I enjoy both of them, although it took a while to adjust to the vocals on Now.  But for me, they fit.

I have always enjoyed Linger Lane and found it to be closer in spirit to the later 70s titles in the Select (which is a good thing).

20 hours ago, JSngry said:

I've been listening to Medina/Spiral on Spotify for my falling asleep music for a couple of weeks now. That might seem counter-intuitive, but no, in the process the details become very vivid and enjoyable.

Personally, I think that Stanley Cowell overall brings more to the table of this particular band than did Chick Corea on Total Eclipse, but that's not a knock on Chick, not at all.

Cowell gets less solos than any pianist in late 60s Blue Note quintet sessions, for whatever reason. He's very good in this band (there are also several unofficial live recordings). Corea might not add anything outside of what Cowell does, but to me, there's a special magic to the Total Eclipse session. Somehow, it seems as if the band was playing freer, not in a harmonic sense, but in terms of flexible dynamics and interplay between the musicians. Or maybe it is just because that album was my introduction to the Hutcherson/Land band and I'm slightly nostalgic about it.

My favorite track is 'Same Shame':

On the Hoffman board there have been reports of shipping notices received. . . . I'm eagerly awaiting mine, but I always seem to get one after others have received the set or never get one and receive the set later than others. I think it may be because I pre-pay with PayPal.

On 6/18/2024 at 6:02 AM, colinmce said:

Interestingly that was the cut off I suggested IIRC (Kicker to Spiral/Medina) to Michael years ago when he was mulling over a Hutch set but then opted against it. 

I suggested a Hutcherson/Land box, which would have included the three albums released under Land's name as well as the BN's under Hutch's name.  I think there is still a box that could be done which would include 'Head On', 'Natural Illusions', 'Montara', 'Linger Lane'. 'Live at Montreux' (those five would make a great Select, if they still did those), and you could add in the three Land titles: 'The Peacemaker', 'New Shade of Blue', and 'Choma (Burn)', and maybe even the 18 minute incendiary take of "The Creators" from the ENJA 'Live at the Festival' album - BTW don't sleep on that ENJA album, every cut, by Hutcherson/Land, Bill Evans, Karin Krog, and Archie Shepp, is a masterpiece.

1 hour ago, felser said:

I suggested a Hutcherson/Land box, which would have included the three albums released under Land's name as well as the BN's under Hutch's name.  I think there is still a box that could be done which would include 'Head On', 'Natural Illusions', 'Montara', 'Linger Lane'. 'Live at Montreux' (those five would make a great Select, if they still did those), and you could add in the three Land titles: 'The Peacemaker', 'New Shade of Blue', and 'Choma (Burn)', and maybe even the 18 minute incendiary take of "The Creators" from the ENJA 'Live at the Festival' album - BTW don't sleep on that ENJA album, every cut, by Hutcherson/Land, Bill Evans, Karin Krog, and Archie Shepp, is a masterpiece.

This is a great idea IMO

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Land is on Now!

A kind of left-field and fun way track both Hutch and Land is on Gerald Wilson records.

Oh, I see they left that off the box coming out for some reason!  It's a 1969 recording, what were they thinking?  Well, it also needs added into my theoretical Select and box set!  I guess Land and Hutch may have met through Wilson?

16 minutes ago, felser said:

Oh, I see they left that off the box coming out for some reason!  It's a 1969 recording, what were they thinking?  Well, it also needs added into my theoretical Select and box set!  I guess Land and Hutch may have met through Wilson?

+1. That single disc will be added to my "synthetic" box set.

Now! must have been left out of the Mosaic because of the vocals?

Funny, when I lived to DC and had to really thin out my collection, San Francisco was one of less than half-a-dozen Blue Note titles I traded off.

I have the Hutch Select (mostly great, much of it really great!), Now! (outstanding!), and Head On (quite good, and really interesting).

But I never could get with San Francisco for some reason. I used to blame it on Joe Sample being on the date, but I’m not sure that’s fair (or was the only reason).

I love the two ‘Mainsteam’ Harold Land dates with Hutch — so maybe I should give San Francisco another try.

I’ve never had Montara, despite having seen it used several times. Every time I sampled it, it left me kind of cold, so I never bothered.

Other than the Select and the titles I mentioned above (and the live one with Woody Shaw) — I’ve never bothered with any of Bobby’s other 70’s output (as much because it’s either never been on CD, or else only as pricy imports I never saw used).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm in the "underwhelmed by San Francisco" camp, IMO the weakest of the Land-Hutcherson collaborations I own.

Also very light on the '70s material and passed on the Select...combination of clips I've heard and general scepticism about the era. Maybe should reconsider, since I've expanded my horizons over the past few years.

Edited by T.D.