Bobby Hutcherson Boxed Set

Most of these albums had an initial cd release in the late 80's followed by remasters by RVG, McMaster, or others.  This set seems to be a complete remaster of all the included albums.

Mastered from hi-res files of the original analog masters by Andreas Meyer and Nancy Conforti at Swan Studios, NYC www.swanstudios.nyc

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A additional benefit of the Bobby Hutcherson set is that it allows one to investigate Joe Chambers as a composer as there are about 16 of his compositions therein.  I probably would not have become aware of this aspect of BH's 60's work without the Mosaic set.

On 7/3/2024 at 2:15 AM, Daniel A said:

Please share your impressions of the Stanley Cowell composition ("Photon...") when you get there.

Daniel,

"Photon" is a nice composition, more "straight ahead" than most of the material within that album, so that and its length may be the reason it was not included in the original release--certainly the quality of music and performance are not lacking.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Daniel,

"Photon" is a nice composition, more "straight ahead" than most of the material within that album, so that and its length may be the reason it was not included in the original release--certainly the quality of music and performance are not lacking.

I hope Amazon or somebody eventually offers a download of that track.  I'd pay my $1.29 or whatever to hear it.  Are there any huge differences (such as much longer running length) on any of the new alternate takes in the box.

13 minutes ago, felser said:

Are there any huge differences (such as much longer running length) on any of the new alternate takes in the box.

most are longer whilst a couple are shorter, "Verse" significantly

West 22nd St: mst 04:46, alt 05:48

Aquarian Moon: mst 07:44, alt 10:50

Bouquet: mst 08:10, alt 08:16

Rojo: mst 06:04, alt 06:47

Una Muy Bonita: mst 06:29, alt 06:18

Black Circle: mst 06:57, alt 07:43

Verse: mst 09:30, alt 05:57

On 7/8/2024 at 2:49 AM, jazzbo said:

Daniel,

Thanks, Lon.

I am tempted to get the set, mainly for the added material, and to some extent for everything else (remastering, liner notes, Cuscuna's last set etc). But what bothers me is that I know that I like to approach music by the original albums - which I already own - with original artwork and not split between discs. Hence, I fear that I will not play the set as much as I "should".

On 7/8/2024 at 3:49 AM, jazzbo said:

Daniel,

I received my set yesterday from our Belgian store and played Photon. A very nice track indeed.

Edited by RiRiIII

• 2 weeks later...

Finally worked my way through the box. What a great set! As mentioned earlier I only had about half of these albums. This box really points to Bobby as a critical cog in the 60s BN sound. Not only with high profile ‘side men,’ but the sophisticated level of the compositions. 
My only minor quibble is the odd way some of the albums are broken up across disks. I understand why they did it, but since the sessions are all noted by the album names, it’s a little awkward. 

The collar looks similar to the one on the San Francisco cover, which I'd call a pale tan color. The turtleneck on the Inner Glow cover is yellowish but seems to be a different weave.

Edited by T.D.