Obscure or Underrated Bassists

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/17/2024 at 5:32 AM, optatio said:

Praskin - Gregg (Copy).JPG

Allan Praskin (as) and Jack Gregg (b) at 'Blue Note' in Göttingen 1976. We hope to find the recording – see photo!

was Maxine Gregg (later Gordon) married to Jack at one point, or were they siblings? I could never parse that. She played cello with early editions of the Galaxie Dream Band before being with Woody Shaw and, later, Dexter, and then we know a bit of the history afterwards...

Just found this on this same forum, posted in 2009 by Tom Marcello, whom I consider a reliable source:

"Another thing that's interesting is that Woody is playing with Maxine Gregg's ex-husband." Jack Gregg, that is.

Edited by mikeweil

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Just found this on this same forum, posted in 2009 by Tom Marcello, whom I consider a reliable source:

"Another thing that's interesting is that Woody is playing with Maxine Gregg's ex-husband." Jack Gregg, that is.

Btw interesting thread (at least larger parts) from days gone by ....

On 9/5/2024 at 12:52 PM, felser said:

Graham Maby with Joe Jackson.

There was a nice interview with him on the Caropop Podcast recently here:
Graham Maby (Joe Jackson)
Caropop

Graham Maby is one of rock’s most revered bassists, known especially for his work with Joe Jackson. Maby and Jackson were in another band together in England before Jackson proposed forming his own band with Maby’s bass front and center. That was the approach of Jackson’s first three albums—starting with 1979’s Look Sharp!—and the ever-gracious Maby reflects on how his indelible parts came to be. He also recalls the breakup of the Joe Jackson Band, his continued work with Jackson on albums such as Night and Day and Body and Soul, and what prompted him to join previous Caropop guest Marshall Crenshaw's band. How did Crenshaw’s approach to bass parts differ from Jackson’s? How did Maby wind up back in the Jackson fold? And when will they record and perform together next?

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/caropop/id1588331867?i=1000660428630

+++

Can I add: Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Melvin Gibbs?

Edited by BFrank