Is David Murray Still Around & Perfoming?

tranemonk

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JSngry said:

It's like half-ass AI 70s ECM or something.

More like mid 80s maybe? 

Incidentally, I remember being told by older - and supposedly wiser - jazz fans already in the 90s that 1987 was the worst year for jazz, ever (in terms of what was being produced). I still do not have enough data to be able to confirm, but what turned up in the second-hand bins from that year always seemed to be unappealing.

31 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

More like mid 80s maybe? 

Incidentally, I remember being told by older - and supposedly wiser - jazz fans already in the 90s that 1987 was the worst year for jazz, ever (in terms of what was being produced). I still do not have enough data to be able to confirm, but what turned up in the second-hand bins from that year always seemed to be unappealing.

I think that's....well, misguided. That was about the year I met Julius Hemphill, who was doing spectacular work. And there were many others.

Checking my discogs collection and while I still don't have all the CDs entered, all of the LPs are in there and I can see tons of great 1987 titles by (among others) Steve Lacy, Bill Dixon, William Parker, Ellen Christi, Derek Bailey, Cecil Taylor, Roscoe Mitchell, Anthony Braxton, Beaver Harris, Marion Brown, Mal Waldron, Peter Brötzmann, Marilyn Crispell, Michael Stuart, Dennis Gonzalez, Charles Brackeen, Per Henrik Wallin, Andrew Hill... not to mention scads of fantastic punk and indie rock of course. Seems like a good year to me (I was 10 at the time).

13 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Intakt cover art has't been very good for many years. That being said, there is a lot of excellent music on the label. 

Niklaus Troxler's graphic design is probably too expensive now.

Intakt's cover art hasn't ever bothered me. They all have an easily identifiable style yet aren't as generic and easily confused as say Rogue Art or Ezz-thetics covers. Music on the other hand is top drawer..

Edited by Clunky
typo

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Checking my discogs collection and while I still don't have all the CDs entered, all of the LPs are in there and I can see tons of great 1987 titles by (among others) Steve Lacy, Bill Dixon, William Parker, Ellen Christi, Derek Bailey, Cecil Taylor, Roscoe Mitchell, Anthony Braxton, Beaver Harris, Marion Brown, Mal Waldron, Peter Brötzmann, Marilyn Crispell, Michael Stuart, Dennis Gonzalez, Charles Brackeen, Per Henrik Wallin, Andrew Hill... not to mention scads of fantastic punk and indie rock of course. Seems like a good year to me (I was 10 at the time).

I don't believe just about any of these artists ever turned up in the second hand bins over here around 1995. 🙂 Maybe people held on to them?

I was thinking more of GRP albums featuring Don Grusin on Yamaha DX-7.