• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-judge-hits-300th-home-run

Feel privileged to witness this career ....

You and me and millions of others. A tribute to how hot Soto’s been that they IBB’d him to face Judge instead. (They were also hoping that their RHP sinkerballer would be able to induce a DP. Still, they issued an IBB to face a guy who at that point was hitting .483 over his last 17 games. Also a guy who happens to be Aaron Judge.)

Another remarkable moment from last night’s game—Oswaldo Cabrera scoring from second base on a sacrifice fly:

https://www.mlb.com/video/dominic-leone-in-play-out-s-to-alex-verdugo?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

6 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

You and me and millions of others. A tribute to how hot Soto’s been that they IBB’d him to face Judge instead. (They were also hoping that their RHP sinkerballer would be able to induce a DP. Still, they issued an IBB to face a guy who at that point was hitting .483 over his last 17 games. Also a guy who happens to be Aaron Judge.)

Another remarkable moment from last night’s game—Oswaldo Cabrera scoring from second base on a sacrifice fly:

https://www.mlb.com/video/dominic-leone-in-play-out-s-to-alex-verdugo?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

These Osvaldo Cabrera heroics (also) shifted the momentum ....

The Tigers have proven to be a total pain in the ass for the Mariners over the last week or two.

They appear to have a talented group of youngsters that they're now giving a chance. No idea what the orgs' plans are, but it's always fun to watch a group of young talent accept the challenge and thrive.

Yankees are rolling into Detroit this weekend, so thanks for the heads-up. 
I refrained from posting “Go Red Sox!” before the start of tonight’s game, for fear of jinxing them. However, seeing as how they’re currently down 4-1 in the bottom of the 6th, I hereby declare:

GO RED SOX!!!

Edited by ghost of miles

I don't expect these young Tigers to wreck havoc on The Godly Yankees unless Skubal gets a start (Sunday, maybe?). They're neither fully filled out nor fully formed yet. But they come to play!

One thing's for sure - the Tigers TV team has gotten me tuning in fairly regularly. Jason Benetti, Kirk Gibson, and Dan Petty are simply superior!

Gotta say go Orioles tho. Been a fan of them since 1966 (Paul Blair, 3rd out, literally the second I walked in from school). Glad to see them back in stride again.

7 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Brewers sweep Guardians.

Cleveland seems to be slipping?

Btw, I check in on Brewers games from time to time and it looks like sometimes Amy has a partner in scorekeeping. How cool is that?

On 8/18/2024 at 4:54 PM, jlhoots said:

Brewers sweep Guardians.

Have been quietly enjoying the success of the Guardians this season, recognizing that they have played the statistically softest schedule thus far. Reversion to the mean bound to happen. I think now with the schedule getting tougher won’t be surprised if Twins catch them. Still not bad for a lineup that at the beginning of the season could be described as Jose Ramirez (likely in the mvp conversation), Steven Kwan (emerging scrappy singles hitter w glove) and 7 guys in witness protection. Bullpen has been beastly, but can it hold up when it pitches 4+ innings every single game? Again reversion to the mean at some pt but enjoy the scrappiness and success until then. 

42 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Have been quietly enjoying the success of the Guardians this season, recognizing that they have played the statistically softest schedule thus far. Reversion to the mean bound to happen. I think now with the schedule getting tougher won’t be surprised if Twins catch them. Still not bad for a lineup that at the beginning of the season could be described as Jose Ramirez (likely in the mvp conversation), Steven Kwan (emerging scrappy singles hitter w glove) and 7 guys in witness protection. Bullpen has been beastly, but can it hold up when it pitches 4+ innings every single game? Again reversion to the mean at some pt but enjoy the scrappiness and success until then. 

Is Guardians a strange name. Reminds me of Handmaids Tale.

It's a strange name until you see the bridge. Then it becomes super-hero cool!

Hope to see it in person some day, that would be awesome.

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

Still pulling for them, especially against the Twins, who have a vaguely thuggish air about them it seems to me.

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Trying to watch Mariners-Dodgers, but it is just too sad, for too many reasons. Not the least of which is that Seattle is playing like a team with all the life sucked out of them, totally demoralized.

Wow, even more than was let on:

https://www.mlb.com/news/scott-servais-fired-as-mariners-manager?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share

This says, first time in history.

Toronto - Boston June 26 game suspended in second inning because of rain.  Toronto's catcher was Jansen.

Boston has acquired Jansen.

Now they will finish that game.  Jansen will catch for Boston.

Therefore, catching for both teams in one game.

How Red Sox Catcher Will Make MLB History by Playing for Both Teams in One Game (msn.com)

8 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Toronto - Boston June 26 game suspended in second inning because of rain.  Toronto's catcher was Jansen.

How Red Sox Catcher Will Make MLB History by Playing for Both Teams in One Game (msn.com)

🧐😎 ....

13 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Jansen was in the batter's box when the game was suspended, so upon resumption as the MLB article puts it:

The announcement in the press box should go something like this: [Insert name of pinch-hitter here] is hitting for Danny Jansen. Defensive substitution for the Red Sox. Danny Jansen replacing Reese McGuire at catcher.

Unfortunately, Jansen was only down 0-1 when the game resumes. By rule, if there were two strikes on the batter when a pinch hit occurs, and is followed by a strikeout, the strikeout is credited to the original batter.

Therefore, had the stars truly aligned, Jansen could record the putout on a strikeout of Jansen. But alas it cannot happen.

In terms of playing for same team, its happened in the minors:

Dale Holman played for both the Syracuse Chiefs and Richmond Braves in the same Triple-A game in 1986.

Holman was with Syracuse (then the Blue Jays' Triple-A affiliate) when the game began in June. It was suspended due to rain, and by the time it resumed on Aug. 16, the outfielder had been released by the Blue Jays and had signed on with the Braves. Holman started at Double-A with Atlanta, but he was promoted to Triple-A just in time for the resumed game.

Holman went 1-for-1 with Syracuse when the game started, and 2-for-2 for Richmond when it continued. All in all, a 3-for-3 game … with hits for both teams.

People don't seem to realize that The Guardians have become a respectable power team, led by Ramirez (a 30/30 man) and Josh Naylor.  Rookie Jhonensky Noel ("Big Christmas") is bombing the ball quite impressively, and even the guys from whom you don't expect power (Kwan, Giminez) have delivered the long ball. 

I'd like to see some higher batting averages (a problem across MLB), but this lineup is much better than most expected.  Sure, they have had serious some slumps.  But then there are games like last night's: 4 homers and 13 runs.

You can always reconnect with Dan Orsillo, who is doing a great job on Padres TV. Plus you can watch a non-joke team battle for a wild card slot.

Or you can go for sheer entertainment value and check out Jason Benetti doing Tigers games. That guy's gotten a few national write-ups about how he's driving ratings upward for Tigers games.

I've long been without a team for months, so this is where I've landed. It's been fun, actually.

There are better time wasters.

And Don Orsillo can f off.  He's born in Mass., raised in NH, lifelong Red Sox fan but after they fired him, he decided "you don't want me, I don't want you."  Sorry if you're a broadcaster you're like a manager - hired to be fired.  If you grew up with the team, get the fuck over yourself and don't hate on them for firing you.