• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan smiles last and smiles biggest! The Miracle of the Rice was apparently only a one-day pause of the ongoing demise that is midsummer Yankee baseball this year. (Feeling more and more like 2022… it’s deja vu all over again, folks!)

On a broader topic, what’s everybody hoping/looking for come the trading deadline? Are any significant players likely to move? 

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Dan smiles last and smiles biggest! The Miracle of the Rice was apparently only a one-day pause of the ongoing demise that is midsummer Yankee baseball this year. (Feeling more and more like 2022… it’s deja vu all over again, folks!)

On a broader topic, what’s everybody hoping/looking for come the trading deadline? Are any significant players likely to move? 

Indeed! (green smilie here - oh hell make it 3 of them)

I don't know what was less likely - Kutter Crawford pitching so effectively and efficiently or Devers second homer to right center on a pitch at least three inches off the plate away. Shades of Vladi Guerrero. And I think the Yanks have a new Big Papi - amazing that he ties Ortiz for homers at Yankee Stadium and before the age of 28. 

As far as the trade deadline, I predict the Yankees get Bellinger from the Cubs. Excellent defense in center and  1B (you know, just in case Rice isn't in it for a minute).

I'd like to see the Sox pick up a left handed starter but if the Cubs are willing I'd be very happy with Nico Hoerner in a trade.  Regardless, they look to get Casas and Liam Hendricks (lights out reliever from 2019-2022 before injuries/surgery) back right around August 1, so that is the proverbial "impact players without giving anyone up".

Has anyone else come to the realization that for a lot of umps, if a pitch goes across the strike zone but registers outside the box, they are calling a strike because of the seeming interception with the zone?

Whereas the pitch that starts slightly outside or inside and stays there, doesn't get the benefit?  This isn't to say that the so-called front-door or back-door pitch doesn't get generous calls sometimes, but that there's a particular affinity for the pitch I described above.

Definitely shocked that the Cubs came to Baltimore and swept them, including back to back shut outs.

With the Yanks finishing the first half in Baltimore, it works well for the Sox in that one team in front of them has to lose but I should be more worried about the Royals coming in to the Fens. They have three strong starters lined up including a lefty and lefties are kryptonite to this team's offense most of the time.

Fingers crossed that they keep it going for three more. 18-7 since June 12 and the opposite of the Yanks, having done no worse than splits in series since early June. 

Red Sox have tied the Braves for the league lead in shutouts, and three have come in the last seven days, two with Kutter Crawford as the starter.  His cumulative line against the Yankees and Royals:

14 IP (on an average of 82 pitches per game)

6 hits

1 BB

8 K

His WHIP in three July starts is 0.50.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Red Sox have tied the Braves for the league lead in shutouts, and three have come in the last seven days, two with Kutter Crawford as the starter.  His cumulative line against the Yankees and Royals:

14 IP (on an average of 82 pitches per game)

6 hits

1 BB

8 K

His WHIP in three July starts is 0.50.

I noted his strong followup start after his win against the Yankees. Boston has certainly played its way back into contention in the AL East. Hoping against hope that the Yanks finish today with a road sweep of Baltimore, but not optimistic with Rodon on the mound. Plus the Orioles are due, having lost five in a row.

6 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I noted his strong followup start after his win against the Yankees. Boston has certainly played its way back into contention in the AL East. Hoping against hope that the Yanks finish today with a road sweep of Baltimore, but not optimistic with Rodon on the mound. Plus the Orioles are due, having lost five in a row.

Yeah, I am counting on the Sox continuing their Sunday dominance (1 loss on Sunday all season) plus facing another righty to go into the break strong. And hoping the O's do pull out the last game, to keep things tight in the division.

Heading into the second half I guess if you have to play the Dodgers on the road, this is a good time to do it with all of their injuries. Losing to the Tigers with a four run lead in the 8th was brutal.

Well the day went as I hoped with the added bonus of the Yankees blowing the win after a big comeback in the top of the ninth. If it's any consolation, Verdugo probably makes that mistake of breaking in about once every two years. Bad timing for Yankee fans.

Wondering how fans view the ASB these days?  As a kid I watched the game religiously but now, and even pre-tie game, couldn't really be made to care.

For the homer competition I think I watched one or two and that was it.

I really view this week as an opportunity to get to bed earlier every single night. Like 9:30 at the latest instead of 10 or a bit past.  Sort of like a west coast trip for the Sox.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Wondering how fans view the ASB these days?  As a kid I watched the game religiously but now, and even pre-tie game, couldn't really be made to care.

For the homer competition I think I watched one or two and that was it.

I really view this week as an opportunity to get to bed earlier every single night. Like 9:30 at the latest instead of 10 or a bit past.  Sort of like a west coast trip for the Sox.

Same here—I watched every year as a kid, even though it was a miserable era for American League fans (iirc the NL won about a dozen years in a row, until the 1983 Fred Lynn grand-slam game). Nowadays, as I continue to downscale my following of sports in general (pretty much MLB only), I welcome the break from paying daily attention to baseball. 

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

I commend her for her honesty and desire to make a change. Here's hoping it sticks. Thing is, I've heard far worse from people who were stone-cold sober (working summers at Lone Star Park has caused PTSD for SSB singers employing all manner of unnecessary vocal gymnastics).

Edited by Big Al

4 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Thing is, I've heard far worse from people who were stone-cold sober (working summers at Lone Star Park has caused PTSD for SSB singers employing all manner of unnecessary vocal gymnastics).

I've heard MANY bad (gymnastics are only gymnastics if they're controlled, otherwise it's anywhere from strained contortion to outright caterwauling), but none worse. That was truly godawful, even by amateur standards.

Honestly, I thought that maybe this was a singer who really couldn't sing but had been studio massaged into sounding "good" on record. Milly Vanilly.

But instead she was drunk. Tore down. Still don't know how well she really sings, but for sure, good luck on the rehab, and also take a long hard look at your management. That was a very...unhealthy experience.