• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m getting inundated with gambling ads on a variety of baseball sites. To me it’s a plague, though I have several friends and relatives who bet casually. I’ve got enough addictive tendencies as it is and would prefer to keep marshaling that energy and my dollars into books, CDs, and other endeavors. But if I’m gonna make a bet, here’s one that I think’s pretty solid: the gambling problem in sports is only going to get worse. 

35 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So those lip readings are always accurate, or is this a bit he does?

I suggest you follow his channel. He does a lot of lip reading and seems very accurate. Not sure his secret.

There have been other posts of his "breakdowns" and they almost always feature lip reading. 

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

https://x.com/WritingRangers/status/1803609714502123780

Highlight of the season.

Can you call a roboump motherfucker?

Number one, if a robo ump were in use, they wouldn't miss calls. So the question is moot.

Number two (and its 6 am, speakers are off, I was reading lips myself - if he was audible on the game microphone then I am wrong - but I don't think you punctuate a correction with "motherfucker" and are in the box for the next pitch. More likely he said "motherfuck".

39 minutes ago, JSngry said:

His out is that legally he was talking to the catcher. 

The rookie has poise, if nothing else. Highlight of an otherwise putrid season. They can go home now.

Well that proves how different a world it is. Calling the catcher "motherfucker" is an invite for a very high and very tight fastball not that long ago.

And its somewhat amusing to think that "motherfucker" isn't as bad, in this context, as saying "it was a ball, bitch."

Edited by Dan Gould

Pretty sure that there was a mutual understanding about at whom the motherfucker was aimed. Both teams were pretty pissed at the umpiring in that game.

I think I'll root for Oakland this year. Watching games with tiny crowds in a massive and decrepit relic of a stadium housing a young team that sometimes comes alive (but only sometimes) but always gives you Bip Roberts on the post-game, awash in a trippy wash of gold and green...best the hell out of whatever it is that the Defending World Champions are offering this year.

It's a totally quirky team with a totally quirky package. Dallas Braden!!!

About a week from 81 games in the books and the division races are almost all a joke.  You have the Yankees and Orioles in a legit race, and Minnesota and the Royals trying to hang on against Cleveland at 6-6.5 games back and every other race you can practically book right now. 

Maybe that changes but it seems like this season's stretch drive will be among weak-ass teams battling for last WC spot.

Hey, Jim Palmer is still doing color on Orioles TV games and is as effortlessly lucid, articulate, and insightful as ever. At 78! 

If you got that MLB TV thing, check him out. This guy is a treasure 

Well ... the first delightful "wake up, check scores and SMILE" news of the season from the Bronx.

I went to bed last night, middle of the 8th, the Sox having blown an opportunity to tie up the game. I was extra hot under the collar (well, I was wearing a t-shirt) because the A/C had quit on us and it was damn hot in the house.

Wake up to a cool 75 (I didn't think they'd show in the middle of the night but we use Gould A/C so they take pretty good care of us) and word of a "down to last strike, Red Sox rally and shock Yankees".

:)

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I hate it every time Apple airs baseball, their announcers are the pits and I don’t need to pay for yet another channel, especially one that I would rarely watch.

I don't watch baseball on Apple -BUT Apple+ FWIW has some great shows of other type(s).

I’ll see Dan’s Saturday-morning smile and raise him my Saturday-evening smile 😉 after a Yankee rookie who grew up a Yankee fan in Massachusetts (and who as a little boy scrawled “Yankees rule” on the Pesky Pole at Fenway) blew away Friday night’s bad vibes with a three-home run outburst  against the surging BoSox. 🤩 AL East has certainly gotten more interesting, with the Yankees’ 5-15 stinker of a stretch going into yesterday’s game, Baltimore slipping into the division lead but not capitalizing as much as they could have on NY’s miserable run, and Boston coming on strong. I still see the O’s as ultimately taking the Eastern crown, but the other four division teams are all in the wild-card hunt—even the struggling Jays and Rays. Anyway, Bos-NY rubber match tonight, with a faltering Luis Gil on the mound for NY—he’s gone from looking like Bob Gibson in 1968 to Carlos Rodon in 2023. (And 2024 Carlos Rodon has begun to look a lot like 2023 Carlos Rodon as well. 🤦‍♂️) NY has dropped five of its last six series and split the other one… will Boston extend our woes and induce another Gould smile, or will my face be lighting up with a grin as big and goofy as Ben Rice’s?

On another note, I’ve followed the Astros’ return from the dead with displeasure.  Jsngry, what are the chances of the Rangers turning their season around? 

Edited by ghost of miles