Here are the various scenarios (from the ESPN article I linked to above):

What are the scenarios for each team to clinch a playoff spot?

Let's run through these:

1. The Mets win the first game, the Braves win the second game. The Braves are the No. 5 seed and head to the No. 4 San Diego Padres for a best-of-three wild-card series starting Tuesday. The Mets are the No. 6 seed and play the No. 3 Milwaukee Brewers. Yes, that means the Mets would have gone from Milwaukee on Sunday to Atlanta on Monday, and then back to Milwaukee on Tuesday. (The Braves would have to fly cross-country, but at least they were already in Atlanta.)

2. If the Braves win the first game and the Mets win the second, it's the same result. The Braves are the No. 5 seed and the Mets are the No. 6 seed.

3. The Mets win both games. New York is the No. 5 seed and plays the Padres. The Diamondbacks are the No. 6 seed and play the Brewers in a rematch of last year's wild-card series. The Mets travel from Milwaukee to Atlanta to San Diego. (They won't complain.)

4. The Braves win both games. Atlanta is the No. 5 seed and plays the Padres; the Diamondbacks are the No. 6 seed and play the Brewers.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rooting for the Mets to win the second one here, though I don't really have an interest in the Mets specifically.  But if they win the DBacks are in.  I also don't have an interest in the DBacks, despite living in AZ.  

But if they get in, I'll have a chance to see the Phillies here locally.  At least there's a chance in that case.  That's what I'm hoping for.

49 minutes ago, Aggie87 said:

Rooting for the Mets to win the second one here, though I don't really have an interest in the Mets specifically.  But if they win the DBacks are in.  I also don't have an interest in the DBacks, despite living in AZ.  

But if they get in, I'll have a chance to see the Phillies here locally.  At least there's a chance in that case.  That's what I'm hoping for.

Strategic rooting at its finest. <green smilie here>

Braves up 1-0 in the bottom of the 7th. If they hold on, would this be the first time two teams facing each other on the same day have each clinched a playoff spot with a win?

Braves just went up 3-0. If they do end up winning, we are going to see two teams clinching a playoff spot by defeating the other and celebrating on the same field on the same day, and both teams finishing with the same record (89-73) for the season. 

Hey we went to multiple Phillies games every season while living there.  After moving out to the desert last year, we've had one series vs the DBacks each regular season, and attended 3 of the 4 games each time. This year we got to take our 10 month old grandson to his first Phillies game as well.  Plus last year the Phillies played (and were upset by) the DBacks in the postseason, and we went to multiple games for that as well. 

I'm just hopeful we can do the same this season if it works out. We take what we can get!  Strategic rooting is important!

Edited by Aggie87

My brother was a big fan, me not so much, but he was an avatar of 1970s baseball, an era I love to think back on now (and watch clips from on YouTube). Speaking of 1970s icons, I just read a brilliant 1987 piece on Reggie Jackson by David Remnick, who'd go on to become the editor of the New Yorker. "Mr. October's September Song" is included in the Library of America's Major League Baseball Anthology, as well as Remnick's collection The Devil Problem. Highly recommended, as good (if much more expansive in its scope) as John Updike's famous elegy for Ted Williams, "Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu."