Baseball season started!

Hope you guys enjoyed the division clinching game, cuz El Duque had his postponed start against Toronto, and on a scale of Loaiza (really horrifying) to Kevin Brown (horrifying) to Javier Vasquez (no command, no clue, no results), it wasn't quite up to the Vasquez standard.

No fastball and no command of the rest of his repertoire. Throwing slop, and nowhere close to the strike zone. He looked like a man desperately trying to protect his shoulder.

Yanks are in deep, deep trouble.

Sleep well, Yankee fans. :g

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, if anyone had told me the A's would choke on this big a scale, have their top three starters flounder down the stretch, and then lose the division AT HOME.....

Unbelievable!!!!

Wonder if anyone shows up for the A's-Angels game today? Besides Angels fans, that is......

Well, Harold, both our teams have their work cut out for them. You get the toughest pitcher in the league, and for a bit more than five innings this time, at least once and almost certainly twice. And El Duque may even be dropped from the roster if he doesn't show improvement when he throws on Monday.

We get one of the hottest teams, and their running game won't be easy to deal with, considering the rate that most of our pitchers allow stolen bases.

But no one said the playoffs should be a piece of cake.

Dan,

Yeah the trick is getting in there in the first place. That's the only way there's anything left to talk about. If I was an A's fan, I'm not sure I'd be physically or mentally capable of even typing out this message.

Santana is definitely a load and in a five game set, with him going twice, that could make it tough. Glad to be a home, though, and also glad to have the mojo. I think my boys have taken the last 17 of 19 from the Twins or something close to it. Brown's outing against Toronto on Saturday was encouraging. He was up into the lower 90's and pitched really well. If El Duque can come around, that would be a bonus. I have to think if this was two weeks ago, he starts game one.

I don't know what to think about the Angels. Certainly, they have one of the most dangerous players in the league and a guy who is absolutely hitting on all cylinders in Guerrero. He has the ability to take over not just a game, but a whole series. If I was an Angel's fan, it would be their pitching that would worry me. But, you can pretty much say that about any of the teams going into the playoffs. Like I'm sure you're not worried if it's pooped out Pedro or overpowering Pedro who shows up over the next few days.

Let the games begin.

Up over and Harold.

Edited by Dave James

Astros actually pulled it out and nabbed the wild card! Clemens is up first on Wednesday, followed by 20 game winner Oswalt. I hope they can finally solve the curse they seem to have when playing the Braves in the postseason.

I'd also like to see them re-sign Beltran in the offseason. I know he was brought it to for the sole purpose of making the playoffs, but it would be great to see them rebuild around Berkman and Beltran, keeping the Killer B theme intact. And it would be great to see Clemens come back for one more year, after doing so well.

Yup, just as I will worry about which Pedro shows up, you'll need to worry about both El Duque and whether or not Brown continues to get his back loose-he blamed the Sox implosion on his back, not pitching rust, and credited his decent start to getting his back loose before Toronto.

At least the Sox picked the correct aging righthanded power pitcher to acquire! ;)

I think the key will be the first game, for both series. If Santana dominates and the Twins win, the Yanks will really have their work cut out for them. If they find a way to win, the Twins probably fold pretty quick.

If Schilling continues with his 'A' game and shuts down the Angels, I think we'll have a good shot at closing them out at home, and keep Schilling to start Game 1 of the LCS.

Division Series

AMERICAN LEAGUE

New York vs. Minnesota

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Minnesota (Santana 20-6) at New York (Mussina 12-9), 8:19 p.m. (FOX)

Get Tickets

Wednesday, Oct. 6

Minnesota (Radke 11-8) at New York (Lieber 14-8), 7:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Friday, Oct. 8

New York (Hernandez 8-2 or Brown 10-6) at Minnesota (Silva 14-8), 8:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Saturday, Oct. 9

New York at Minnesota, if necessary

Get Tickets

Sunday, Oct. 10

Minnesota at New York, if necessary

Get Tickets

Anaheim vs. Boston

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Boston (Schilling 21-6) at Anaheim (Washburn 11-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Wednesday, Oct. 6

Boston (Martinez 16-9) at Anaheim (Colon 18-12), 10:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Friday, Oct. 8

Anaheim (Escobar 11-12) at Boston (Arroyo 10-9 or Wakefield 12-10), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Saturday, Oct. 9

Anaheim at Boston, if necessary

Get Tickets

Sunday, Oct. 10

Boston at Anaheim, if necessary

Get Tickets

NATIONAL LEAGUE

St. Louis vs. Los Angeles

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Los Angeles (Perez 7-6) at St. Louis (W.Williams 11-8), 1:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Thursday, Oct. 7

Los Angeles (Weaver 13-13) at St. Louis (Marquis 15-7), 8:19 p.m. (FOX)

Get Tickets

Saturday, Oct. 9

St. Louis (Morris 15-10) at Los Angeles (Lima 13-5)

Get Tickets

Sunday, Oct. 10

St. Louis (Suppan 16-9) at Los Angeles, if necessary

Get Tickets

Monday, Oct. 11

Los Angeles at St. Louis, if necessary

Get Tickets

Atlanta vs. Houston

Wednesday, Oct. 6

Houston (Clemens 18-4) at Atlanta (Wright 15-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Thursday, Oct. 7

Houston (Oswalt 20-10) at Atlanta (Thomson 14-8), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Get Tickets

Saturday, Oct. 9

Atlanta (Hampton 13-9) at Houston

Get Tickets

Sunday, Oct. 10

Atlanta at Houston, if necessary

Get Tickets

Monday, Oct. 11

Houston at Atlanta, if necessary

Get Tickets

Ok...so who will win the division series, AL, NL championship...the world series???

From the man who fearlessly predicted that the Braves would not reach the playoffs for the second straight year(And was wrong 2 years running).....

Yanks Vs. Twins... Yanks in 4, they will lose the first one, and come from behind once again....

Boston Vs. Angels, Boston in 5, Shilling is why! Walk Vlad every time, but it won't be easy.

Yanks Vs. Sox, Yanks in 7 games. John Flaherty will be the designated hero to hit a Pedro 88 MPH fastball in the 7th, after Pedro has given up a walk and 2 hits... Pedro will have Yankee's bitch tattoed on his forhead. <_<

Cards, Vs Dodgers. Cards in 4. Top to bottom, Cards are best team in baseball. Dodgers have a sore armed Gagne , and only 2 hitters with more than 85 RBI's (well, Steve Finley as well, but not there all year)

Astros Vs. Braves. Astros in 5. Clemons will start twice. They were 36 and 10 with Phil Garner I just heard. Braves are great in the regular season, but Bobby Cox gets dumb come October. He wasn't really resting players either, wanting the home field advantage, but you would think failing 12 out of 13 times would make you want a rested team for the playoffs! :angry:

Cards Vs. Astros. Cards win it in 6, BTB. (Best team in baseball)

Yanks Vs. Cards, Cards in 7...hope, hope, hope...Perhaps some pitching staff will get hot, but it seems to me that none of the teams has that good a starting staff...Astros might have 2 best pitchers...if Pettite wasn't injured!

So, place your bets, and curse "berigan" for all the money he cost ya! :P

Cards win game one 8-3 with some good pitching by Woody Williams and 5 homeruns by the best lineup in baseball! Although the Dodgers had nine hits, they never really seemed to get anything going. Cards had four homeruns (Pujols, Edmonds, Walker (2 for the game) and Metheny) in the first three innings; Perez didn't make it out of the 3rd inning! Things may be tough for them as they are going with a 3 man rotation and Perez is due to start game 4 (if there is a game 4).

Edited by sheldonm

Cards win game one 8-3 with some good pitching by Woody Williams and 5 homeruns by the best lineup in baseball!

Uh, Mark, if its the best lineup in baseball, how come the Red Sox scored almost 100 more runs?

Hopefully they'll go head to head and then we'll know which is the best lineup in baseball! ;)

Cards win game one 8-3 with some good pitching by Woody Williams and 5 homeruns by the best lineup in baseball!

Uh, Mark, if its the best lineup in baseball, how come the Red Sox scored almost 100 more runs?

Hopefully they'll go head to head and then we'll know which is the best lineup in baseball! ;)

...uh, they needed to, they gave up 100 more runs. I think if you asked 100 people that know baseball who has the better line up, it would not be the Sox (just my humble opinion). That said, the Sox had a great year and I not one for pissing contests. If you think the Sox are a superior team, and you apparently do, you're entitled to your opinion! ;);)

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

The Dh, and the wee little stadium they play in???? ^_^

And Larry Walker joined the fun late...

Edited by BERIGAN

The Dh, and the wee little stadium they play in???? ^_^

And Larry Walker joined the fun late...

The DH probably has a lot to do with it. Somewhere(and I forget where), I read that the DH adds about 0.75 runs per game. I am impressed by both the Cardinal & Bosox lineups- could we see a 'red' WS?

That would be interesting, esp. from a historical perspective--the Cards denied the Sox in two of Boston's last three WS appearances (1946 and 1967).

....of course this year would be three out of four! ^_^

Only if we both get there, and you can beat what is clearly a superior starting staff.

On name recognition alone, the Cards do have a superior lineup. I mean, the Sox only have two MVP candidates, and the Cards have three! But the thing is, superior lineups don't always win. Certainly the Yanks had the superior lineup in last year's World Series.

I'm not at all sure that the Cards will get past the Astros even. Not only does superior lineups not guarantee victory, neither does big winning percentages in the regular season. Aside from the Yanks 125 win season, recent history shows that big winners in the regular season come up short in the playoffs.

Can we talk about the American League now? :P

Harold, normally the Yanks wouldn't worry about dropping the first game, but in the past they've turned to Pettite or Clemens or Wells to get them going, not John Leiber. So, tonite's a must win for the Yanks with a guy who's pitched well down the stretch but has rarely shut people down. Leiber can definitely be hit, its a question of bunching hits together. He's also an excellent pitcher when he's ahead-I think his "get it and pitch it" tempo gets the opposite team swinging for pitches off the plate. So, its critical that Radke shut them down early and keep his team in it until they string some hits together.

I heard that talk radio in New York has the Yanks as done if they lose game 1, now we'll see if that's true. But do me a favor, Harold: try to extend them to five games and then lose to Santana, OK? With Santana unable to pitch so many times in the LCS, I likes our chances very much.

Which brings us to Anaheim. A must win, IMO, when you've got your ace going in the first road game of a short series. You expect to win with your ace, but you gotta go out and do it, because if you fail you're really behind the 8-ball, particularly with the mysterious Pedro pitching game 2. Now, we can survive even if Pedro brings his B-game, with two at home plus Schilling for game 5. But we need Pedro to show he's still Pedro, and we can wrap this thing up and still have Schilling for 1, 4 and 7 of the LCS. :)

That would be interesting, esp. from a historical perspective--the Cards denied the Sox in two of Boston's last three WS appearances (1946 and 1967).

....of course this year would be three out of four! ^_^

Only if we both get there, and you can beat what is clearly a superior starting staff.

On name recognition alone, the Cards do have a superior lineup. I mean, the Sox only have two MVP candidates, and the Cards have three! But the thing is, superior lineups don't always win. Certainly the Yanks had the superior lineup in last year's World Series.

I'm not at all sure that the Cards will get past the Astros even. Not only does superior lineups not guarantee victory, neither does big winning percentages in the regular season. Aside from the Yanks 125 win season, recent history shows that big winners in the regular season come up short in the playoffs.

No where did you see me write that the best winning percentage or the best line up or the highest salary guarantees victory. I just feel that the best everyday lineup in baseball is the Cardinals. I do believe the Astros will be tough but they have to get by the Braves and it may not be as easy as some people think. That said, you still have to go out and execute every play of every game to win a series (or at least much more than your opponent). It doesn't matter if you won 105 games or a paltry 98 ;) in the rugular season , you still have to execute! I think by the sheer number of wins in the regular season, you would have to agree (you may not) that the Cardinals were the best team; many real experts are on record as saying this. That may or may not be the case in post season, time will tell. I would certainly say that the team that wins the WS was the best team in the post season, not necessarily the best team throughout the year. It's all about execution; execute more than your opponent and you'll win! If you don't, you won't!

Mark

I'll just direct you to what I said earlier:

Aren't we basically agreeing here?

Boy...I about had a seizure watching the Yankees last night. Just one key hit with men on base, or Sierra connecting a split second earlier and hitting the foul pole or Alex getting just a nickle's worth more juice on that shot in the 8th to dead center...then maybe it turns out differently. But that's like saying if Aunt Martha had a mustache she'd be your Uncle Fred. On the upside, that was certainly not the overpowering Santana we've seen since the All-Star break. But, give credit where credit is due. The Twinkies spinning a game one shutout at Yankee Stadium is huge.

Having said that, the pundits I've heard said that if the Twins lost the first game with Santana, they were finished, not the other way around. I think the Yanks can come back, but they've certainly dug a hole for themselves in a short series. And they know they're going to have to lock up with Santana one more time before it's over.

I was 75/25 Yanks before last night. It's now down to 60/40. And you can book this, Danno. They absolutely have to win tonight.

Up over and out.

And you can book this, Danno. They absolutely have to win tonight.

Which goes back not only to my point about Leiber starting instead of Pettite, Wells or Clemens, but also the fact that Game 3 and 4 look to be the enigmatic Vasquez and the combustible Brown. And the Yanks will not only need big performances but a solid 6+ innings from each. Otherwise, the weak underbelly of the bullpen comes into view.

Honestly, do you want Quantrill to come in to a tough situation in the sixth or seventh inning, the way he's pitched for half a season? They can't ask Flash to pitch two innings a night for the rest of the series.