Baseball season started!

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

You will be pleased to learn (or perhaps not) that I'm still alive and kicking. While I was preparing to end it all yesterday on the heels the Yankees 22-0 loss Tuesday night, I had a vision. A three headed hydra-like being appeard to me. The three heads were Babe Ruth, Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone. They told me not to worry, that everything would be OK. Then they revealed something to me that has restored my faith. They said not to share this with anyone, but I can no longer contain myself. Here it is:

THE RED SOX ARE PEAKING TOO EARLY

Oh baby, I can't tell you how happy this has made me. I had all but given up and now I know I no longer need to worry. Thank you...thank you...thank you.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

You're a funny guy, Dave.

Funny too is how much you sound like Harold Reynolds. Did you watch Baseball Tonite last night? They had Harold Reynolds and Peter Gammons arguing their cases before Judge John Kruk.

Gammons talked about FACTS, like the fact that the Yankees can't run a starter who throws over 90 MPH, or the fact that superior pitching has always been the deciding factor, and that the Red Sox clearly have superior pitching.

All Reynolds could appeal to was the assertion that the Yanks always hit a rough patch, and they always get their stuff together afterwards. Completely ignoring the fact that this bears no resemblence with those other teams.

Did you see the ESPN.com poll? More people predict the Yanks to miss the play-offs than to win the World Series.

Sure, the Sox can't keep it up like this, but the problem with your assertion of peaking too early is the fact that with Schilling and Pedro and Arroyo and Wakefield and Lowe (who until last night had gone 40+ games pitching at least five innings every start), no losing streak is likely to build up.

Will they win 14 of 15 the rest of the way? Probably not.

But I bet that 11 of 15 will be more than good enough.

Dan,

Didn't see anything on ESPN last night, but if you want to start calling me Harold, that's OK. Seriously though. I know enough about baseball to know that pitching is what wins games in the post season and the Yankees are pretty short in that department. My word, just think where they'd be if they hadn't rescued El Duque from the scrap heap. Brown has been marginal over the last couple of months, Vasquez seems to be completely lost, Mussina is a shadow on the old Mike and Loaiza, my God...what a mistake. Then you have the bullpen with three guys who rank at the top of the league in terms of appreances. If you combine ineffective starters with a worn out bullpen, it does not bode well for the post season. Then again, they are the Yankees. I'll tell you one thing, if the Yanks should somehow miss the playoffs, I think I'd be able to see the explosion in Tampa all the way from here in Portland, Oregon.

Up over and Harold.

Anyone know what's up with this? It was on MLB.com.

Urbina's mother kidnapped

Associated Press

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Four unidentified men disguised as police officers kidnapped the mother of Detroit Tigers pitcher Ugueth Urbina in his native Venezuela, police said Thursday.

The men took Maura Villareal from a house owned by Urbina in a Caracas suburb on Wednesday, said Joel Rengifo, the director of the country's anti-kidnapping police force. The men have not contacted family members, he said.

The Tigers, in a statement released Thursday, said: "Ugueth Urbina has left the club to return to his native Venezuela to attend to the kidnapping of his mother. The Detroit Tigers organization is working with Major League Baseball and its contacts in Venezuela to assist Ugueth."

You're a funny guy, Dave.

Funny too is how much you sound like Harold Reynolds.  Did you watch Baseball Tonite last night?  They had Harold Reynolds and Peter Gammons arguing their cases before Judge John Kruk.

Gammons talked about FACTS, like the fact that the Yankees can't run a starter who throws over 90 MPH, or the fact that superior pitching has always been the deciding factor, and that the Red Sox clearly have superior pitching.

All Reynolds could appeal to was the assertion that the Yanks always hit a rough patch, and they always get their stuff together afterwards.  Completely ignoring the fact that this bears no resemblence with those other teams.

Did you see the ESPN.com poll?  More people predict the Yanks to miss the play-offs than to win the World Series.

Sure, the Sox can't keep it up like this, but the problem with your assertion of peaking too early is the fact that with Schilling and Pedro and Arroyo and Wakefield and Lowe (who until last night had gone 40+ games pitching at least five innings every start), no losing streak is likely to build up.

Will they win 14 of 15 the rest of the way?  Probably not.

But I bet that 11 of 15 will be more than good enough.

Your points are telling, Comrade Gould.

Beware the Boys of Beantown!!! :ph34r::excited:

Edited by The Red Menace

Associated Press

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Four unidentified men disguised as police officers kidnapped the mother of Detroit Tigers pitcher Ugueth Urbina in his native Venezuela, police said Thursday.

The men took Maura Villareal from a house owned by Urbina in a Caracas suburb on Wednesday, said Joel Rengifo, the director of the country's anti-kidnapping police force. The men have not contacted family members, he said.

The Tigers, in a statement released Thursday, said: "Ugueth Urbina has left the club to return to his native Venezuela to attend to the kidnapping of his mother. The Detroit Tigers organization is working with Major League Baseball and its contacts in Venezuela to assist Ugueth."

God how horrible! Hopefully everything will be fine! :(

Associated Press 

There's a lot of crazy stuff going on in Venezuela, kidnappings of people who have $, etc. Another player(can't recall his name) was shot in the offseason.

Dan - Talk to me after your boys have played Anaheim, Texas and Oakland in consecutive series. That may tell the tale.

Well, Harold :g;)

Thought I'd check in with a report after the first three of that nine game stretch.

Red Sox 4, Angels 3 to complete a three game sweep, making it nine in a row and 15 of 16. The wild card lead is 4 1/2, and the fading fast Rangers are 6 back and next in line.

But then again, we probably are peaking too early.

Dan,

Yes indeedy...a three game sweep against the all-of-a-sudden flaccid Angels. And I predict a weekend sweep of Texas as well. Simply more proof that the Sox are spending it all too early. Since my visit earlier this week from the three headed Hydra, I've completely changed the way I look at this. The more Boston wins, the more I like it. Go Sox!

Up over and Harold.

Dan,

Yes indeedy...a three game sweep against the all-of-a-sudden flaccid Angels. And I predict a weekend sweep of Texas as well. Simply more proof that the Sox are spending it all too early. Since my visit earlier this week from the three headed Hydra, I've completely changed the way I look at this. The more Boston wins, the more I like it. Go Sox!

Up over and Harold.

I disagree that the Angels were flaccid.

They got lots of hits in the first two games but couldn't keep up against the best offense in the league; they're starting pitching simply does not match up (don't concentrate on that clause too long, it would probably jolt you out of your current bout of complacency) and they're aggressiveness on the basepaths remarkably took them out of innings instead of manufacturing runs in front of their big boppers.

Pedro vs Wasdin tonite, and a good test of the "reverse lock" theory which says that if by every measure imaginable, one team should be a lock to win, somehow the other team will be victorious. I'm just glad Frances is slowing down, so hopefully I'll be able to listen to the game tonite on MLB.com.

Fuhgeddaboutit! I predict a three-game sweep for Boston this weekend. The Rangers are lousy on the road to begin with, and their much-vaunted offense has taken its long-awaited swoon southward.

Oh well; it was fun while it lasted. And while it may seem fruitless, GO RANGERS nonetheless!

There goes the Dodgers in 3 straight to the Cardinals. Didn't know the Cardinals had the best ERA. (besides big run production)

Right now, I think the Cards are the best team in baseball, they're strong everywhere and deep. Unless they tail off terribly or have some injuries, to my mind they are the favorites to go all the way.

There goes the Dodgers in 3 straight to the Cardinals.  Didn't know the Cardinals had the best ERA.  (besides big run production)

Right now, I think the Cards are the best team in baseball, they're strong everywhere and deep. Unless they tail off terribly or have some injuries, to my mind they are the favorites to go all the way.

:tup

Associated Press 

I've been out of the loop for a couple days, anything new on this?

I guess my friend "Harold" doesn't have too much to say at the moment ... ;)

But I will say that the Yankees insistence that the Devil Rays should forfeit the game they couldn't leave Tampa in time for is just plain pathetic. They're really embarassing themselves and showing a total lack of class. And as John Kruk said on ESPN, "would the Yankees be asking for a forfeit if their starting pitching weren't in disarray?"

I guess when the choice is, start Loaiza, or try desperately to be handed a victory through a bogus forfeit claim, go for the desperation ploy-you've got a better chance of winning that way.