Baseball season started!

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schilling has a dislocated tendon and will require surgery. Officially, he's "doubtful" but according to Theo, if this were the regular season, he'd be in a cast.

In the words of Charlton Heston, damn them all to the hell. :rmad:

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hate when injuries enter the equation in any sport. I like for teams to play at full strength so that there should be no excuses on either side. Not to mention that rooting for any injury to a player on an opposing team is equivalent to wishing that someone you don't know should experience pain, for how else are injuries manifested? If it's true that we've seen the last of Schilling this year, then the Yanks will have no excuse whatsoever if they lose this series to the Sox who would be playing without their ace pitcher. Well all I can say Dan is that if the Sox can somehow perform the unthinkable, then the taste of victory will be that much sweeter.

Schilling has a dislocated tendon and will require surgery.  Officially, he's "doubtful" but according to Theo, if this were the regular season, he'd be in a cast.

In the words of Charlton Heston, damn them all to the hell. :rmad:

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hate when injuries enter the equation in any sport. I like for teams to play at full strength so that there should be no excuses on either side. Not to mention that rooting for any injury to a player on an opposing team is equivalent to wishing that someone you don't know should experience pain, for how else are injuries manifested? If it's true that we've seen the last of Schilling this year, then the Yanks will have no excuse whatsoever if they lose this series to the Sox who would be playing without their ace pitcher. Well all I can say Dan is that if the Sox can somehow perform the unthinkable, then the taste of victory will be that much sweeter.

Good point, Marty. When the Yanks started hitting Schilling, I was giddy that they had solved him or caught him on a rare bad night. When I heard of the injury, it put it into a different perspective. I hate to see players get hurt- I want the Yanks to beat the Bosox at full strength!

Maybe it's out of this topic, but I am one of the few europeans who love baseball. I played baseball in my youth, there were too much competition for regular player in soccer teams, so I headed for baseball.

I won for three years the awards as better hitter for in the junior leagues, that was my only sport awards in my life.

I was a fan of the Cincinnati's Big Red Machine, I mean back in the seventies. ;)

Edited by porcy62

Maybe it's out of this topic, but I am one of the few europeans who love baseball. I played baseball in my youth, there were too much competition for regular player in soccer teams, so I headed for baseball.

I won for three years the awards as better hitter for in the junior leagues, that was my only sport awards in my life.

I was a fan of the Cincinnati's Big Red Machine, I mean back in the seventies. ;)

Porcy, I take there is not much interest in baseball these days in your neck of the woods???

Porcy, I take there is not much interest in baseball these days in your neck of the woods???

I don't have a satellite receiver to watch US leagues on tv, and with time zone difference it would be difficult for me anyway. It's not the same to watch a game six hours later! :(

Edited by porcy62

I recently realized something ... we're really not that far away from the 2008 season, meaning there's a good chance the Cubs may actually go a FULL CENTURY without a World Series win. :(

Not if they fix the bullpen (and there are a bunch of real closer available this year), re-sign Nomar, and sign Beltran (or do something about the outfield).

With that team's rotation, it should surely make the world series in the next few years.

it should surely make the world series in the next few years.

"Surely"? Remember, we're dealing with the Cubs here ... and seriously, except for Zambrano, their rotation strikes me as being on the fragile side.

Well, maybe Wood is fragile, maybe not. But it takes more than one messed up year to decide that Prior is fragile.

There's no reason why those two won't have monster years like 2003 and pitch them into the Series. I say "surely" because there is no other team with the pitching staff to put a team in close competition for the promised land like the Cubbies, and both of them are locked up for a while. Add to that Zambrano, who's a great pitcher for a nutcase (take it from me, a Red Sox fan, he's Oil Can Boyd redux) and they will compete for the playoffs for a long time to come. And someday it will happen.

And anyway, if the Yankees sign Pedro and get Nomar to play second base, and have a 230 million dollar payroll, I will become a fulltime, exclusive Cub fan, so they better make the world series!

I know the Yankees need a second baseman and that their pitching could stand some shoring up, but my understanding is the one guy who's squarely in their cross hairs right now is Carlos Beltran. Let's see. Matsui in left, Sheffield in right and Beltran in center. Yup...that'll work.

Dan, seriously, my condolences vis a vis Curt Shilling. While I'll take a Yankee win under any circumstances, I'd much rather see them beat the Sox with everyone healthy. That would make it much more of an accomplishment. Of course, assuming the Yankees do go on and win, the upside of this is that it will do nothing but reinforce the notion that the Beantown curse is alive and well.

Up over and Harold.

The cards look to be unstoppable at this point. Pujols is hitting .455 during the playoffs, Scott Rolen who wasn't doing crap, hit 2 homeruns last night. The Astros probably didn't go out and get relievers cuz they didn't know they were still in the race and were going to go 36 and 10. IF they had some relievers, they might have had a chance. Or if Pettite hadn't gotten hurt.

Imagine if Houston got past the Cards, and the Yankees won, who would have guessed the Rocket would face the Yanks? Or how about a Houston Vs. Boston series??? :blink:

Don't worry Dan, if Boston can't beat the Yanks, surely the Cards can! :g:rfr

And Dan, tell the Sox owners to pay any price to get Beltran! Don't let the Yankees get him! :angry:

I know the Yankees need a second baseman and that their pitching could stand some shoring up, but my understanding is the one guy who's squarely in their cross hairs right now is Carlos Beltran. Let's see. Matsui in left, Sheffield in right and Beltran in center. Yup...that'll work.

Dan, seriously, my condolences vis a vis Curt Shilling. While I'll take a Yankee win under any circumstances, I'd much rather see them beat the Sox with everyone healthy. That would make it much more of an accomplishment. Of course, assuming the Yankees do go on and win, the upside of this is that it will do nothing but reinforce the notion that the Beantown curse is alive and well.

Up over and Harold.

Need a second baseman? Miguel Cairo hit .290 and played the position very well this year. The Yanks view him as an unsung tremendous addition to the team.