What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I went completely overboard and picked up something called the Schoenberg Ensemble Edition -- 23 CDs and 4 DVDs of contemporary classical music by the Schoenberg Ensemble. Don't think there is a real source in the States yet. This was the cheapest source for me (still in the UK): MDT website

It will probably be something I listen to all the way through once, then will listen to selected CDs more frequently. I do hope I don't see it cheap a couple of years down the line though.

All things considered, that's not a bad price.

Damn, that's a great-looking set. Price seems favorable to me. And a 600-page book!

I've heard some Kagel discs (on Montaigne) by the Schoenberg ensemble.

Noticing the Claude Vivier disc on the MDT page, I'm going to have to research this further.

US buyers can only hope it'll show up at Berkshire Record Outlet some day...

Edited by T.D.

With Christmas money and other windfalls, I went on a spree over the last couple of weeks before a self-imposed ban on buying new music. Starting Feb. 1st, I want to go at least 6 months without a new purchase and spend some time getting to know the music I already have a bit better. I'll have to do this in parts.

PART 1

A Little Horace Silver

B00000I41H.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00007KMNQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00004X0QO.01._AA182_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB00006C77F.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by mikelz777

Starting Feb. 1st, I want to go at least 6 months without a new purchase...

You're making me laugh, Mike!

I think ss1 should have a grid with squares for us to pick the date you break down and buy a CD! :lol:

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd be curious to know how long some think I will make it. Today is my last day and I'm really tempted to pick up some Jimmy Heath before my ban. Hmmmm..... I'll keep people posted here with my progress.

Edited by mikelz777

Starting Feb. 1st, I want to go at least 6 months without a new purchase...

You're making me laugh, Mike!

I think ss1 should have a grid with squares for us to pick the date you break down and buy a CD! :lol:

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd be curious to know how long some think I will make it. Today is my last day and I'm really tempted to pick up some Jimmy Heath before my ban. Hmmmm..... I'll keep people posted here with my progress.

Strange that you should mention Jimmy Heath.

Just got Jimmy Heath: Really Big! in the mail, along with:

Willis Jackson: Please Mr. Jackson - grabbing those OJCs before they end up in the Concord cemetery

Stan Getz: The Steamer

Gillespie/Getz/Hawkins/Gonsalves: Sittin' In

I would pick Easter! That's about two months away. Good luck!

If I were to make it to Easter, it would be the longest time I've gone without buying a CD in the last 2-3 years. Then again, up until now, I haven't been trying to not buy CDs.

Any other predictions I will/won't make it to at least 6 months?

Strange that you should mention Jimmy Heath.

Just got Jimmy Heath: Really Big! in the mail, along with:

Willis Jackson: Please Mr. Jackson - grabbing those OJCs before they end up in the Concord cemetery

Stan Getz: The Steamer

Gillespie/Getz/Hawkins/Gonsalves: Sittin' In

I 'm pretty sure I'll be getting at least a couple of Jimmy Heaths ordered before midnight tonight. I'm looking at "On The Trail" for sure. After that, one or both of "Triple Threat" and/or "The Thumper". I may also be throwing "The Fabulous Frank Strozier" into the mix as well.

Stan Getz's "The Steamer" is excellent as are the other west coast sessions he did, "Award Winner", "Cool Sounds" and "West Coast Jazz". They're overdue for a play. I'll have to give them a spin tomorrow.

Edited by mikelz777

Miles Davis/John Coltrane Columbia box (a few years too late)

Django in Rome JSP box

Jelly Roll JSP box

Mingus - Mysterious Blues (Candid)

Cecil Taylor - NYC RNB

And I still haven't gotten through the Cellar Door box or the Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia box.

BTW, if anyone is looking for that now OOP Holiday box, J&R has one left on the shelf for the relatively good price of $150. Unfortunately, it looks like it has been dropped on the floor from about six feet once or a dozen times, but it is sealed and you're hard pressed to beat the price.

Had a long day in the shops. Spent far too much time in Virgin - I had a Christmas voucher to use there - finding their stock far less satisfactory than usual. Hardly anything in stock - but many multiple copies, making the racks LOOK full - in jazz, blues or world music (yuck!). I very nearly took a tour into the Hip Hop section, to see if anything grabbed me, but instead got

Hank_Mobley_Soul_Station.jpg

Upgrading from a Pathe Marconi LP to an RVG of this. I wonder if I'll notice the difference when I compare them directly? :) Wynton sounds very nice, I must say, on a first listen.

and

B000002I5C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not bad, but I was wishing it were a little better than it was.

MG