What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, first listen suggests so.

I remember deciding it was too expensive when I held a physical copy in Honest Jons on release. When I got the notification of the download this morning it was an instant purchase.

The Complete Blue Note Recordings Of Herbie Nichols - Mosaic

This music has haunted me, in a good way, since I borrowed it from the library about 20 years ago. Finally decided I needed to have it on tap.

Also, 

Collocutor - Continuation LP

Tamar Osborn and Idris Rahman - Conversations download

Both featuring Osborn whose playing, improvising and writing I'm increasingly intrigued by and enjoying

Edited by mjazzg

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The Complete Blue Note Recordings Of Herbie Nichols - Mosaic

This music has haunted me, in a good way, since I borrowed it from the library about 20 years ago. Finally decided I needed to have it on tap.

Treasure trove ....

These LPs,

Earl Anderza - Outa Sight

Eddy Louiss- Orgue Vol. 2

Gunther Klatt & Elephanttrombones - Live At Jazztage Leverkusen 

And this CD,

Silvan Schmid Quintet - At Gamut

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

These LPs,

Earl Anderza - Outa Sight

Eddy Louiss- Orgue Vol. 2

Gunther Klatt & Elephanttrombones - Live At Jazztage Leverkusen 

And this CD,

Silvan Schmid Quintet - At Gamut

Those three LPs are favorites over here!

13 hours ago, Niko said:

Those three LPs are favorites over here!

👍that's good to hear especially as the Klatt is a bit of a punt, it was cheap and the short sample sounded fun. The others I'm more confident about

12 hours ago, mjazzg said:

👍that's good to hear especially as the Klatt is a bit of a punt, it was cheap and the short sample sounded fun. The others I'm more confident about

Klatt is pretty much forgotten even home in Germany, I discovered him by accident a few years ago and have really liked everything I heard, I have four of his albums by now and some more sideman work, one of the very few people in German jazz of the 80s and 90s that interest me... there's a nice documentary about him but even native English speakers Marty Cook and Paul Grabowsky are forced to speak German in there (which they do extremely well)

edit/ps: around the 1:00 mark of the movie (not this youtube video), you can hear a frustrated Peter Wiessmueller (Enja/Tutu) present some of the Klatt records he was involved with including Elephantrombones but especially the last one, a digipack CD where Klatt insisted on a non-rectangular shape and on putting a different little artwork on every single copy... 

Edited by Niko

13 hours ago, Niko said:

Klatt is pretty much forgotten even home in Germany, I discovered him by accident a few years ago and have really liked everything I heard, I have four of his albums by now and some more sideman work, one of the very few people in German jazz of the 80s and 90s that interest me... there's a nice documentary about him but even native English speakers Marty Cook and Paul Grabowsky are forced to speak German in there (which they do extremely well)

edit/ps: around the 1:00 mark of the movie (not this youtube video), you can hear a frustrated Peter Wiessmueller (Enja/Tutu) present some of the Klatt records he was involved with including Elephantrombones but especially the last one, a digipack CD where Klatt insisted on a non-rectangular shape and on putting a different little artwork on every single copy... 

Thanks Niko

18 hours ago, Niko said:

Thanks for the link to Klatt documentary. Very strong player. I have one of his CDs, will get more.

A similar story of Johannes 'Jo' Barthelmes, an excellent German tenor/soprano player of the same generation (born in mid-'50s) who initially enjoyed widespread critical acclaim, recorded of couple of excellent albums and then completely dropped out of music for 20+ years. He unexpectedly reemerged a couple of years ago and plays well:

Edited by Д.Д.

9 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Thanks for the link to Klatt documentary. Very strong player. I have one of his CDs, will get more.

A similar story of Johannes 'Jo' Barthelmes, an excellent German tenor/soprano player of the same generation (born in mid-'50s) who initially enjoyed widespread critical acclaim, recorded of couple of excellent albums and then completely dropped out of music for 20+ years. He unexpectedly reemerged a couple of years ago and plays well:

never even heard of him - I started following jazz only in the second half of the 1990s when his and Klatt's stars had almost faded ... and then left Germany before his comeback... 

Kind of kicking myself that I went ahead and ordered a few things yesterday, thinking it was Bandcamp Friday.  D'ohh!  Oh well...

Rob Mazurek's Skull Sessions https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/skull-sessions

and A Night Walking Through Mirrors by Chicago / London Underground

which features Rob Mazurek and Alexander Hawkins (not sure he still is lurking on the site but he formerly was a regular...)

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/a-night-walking-through-mirrors

9 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Kind of kicking myself that I went ahead and ordered a few things yesterday, thinking it was Bandcamp Friday.  D'ohh!  Oh well...

Rob Mazurek's Skull Sessions https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/skull-sessions

and A Night Walking Through Mirrors by Chicago / London Underground

which features Rob Mazurek and Alexander Hawkins (not sure he still is lurking on the site but he formerly was a regular...)

https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/a-night-walking-through-mirrors

Too good albums. I was at the A Night Walking gig that makes up that recording, fabulous night's music. Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2024 at 9:47 PM, mjazzg said:

Finally bought the LP of Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Karyobin

Long time want off the list

On 7/2/2024 at 7:06 AM, mjazzg said:

Yes, finally jumped. Prices only seemed to be heading one way and I sold a heap of old non-Jazz LPs recently so had a decent fighting fund.

Oh dear. I may have accidentally fallen off the wagon. Please don't tell my family. 

Edited by Rabshakeh