What music did you buy today?

tonym

YES, this is one of my all time favorite Maynard albums. Issued in the mid-1960's on the short-lived Mainstream label. It was originally issued on LP under the title "Color Him Wild". There is something about this album that keeps me coming back; I think it is the nice balance/mix of material. Not only does he show off his inimitable solo chops on tunes like "Airegin" but there is a great version of "Three More Foxes" here that fascinated me back when I was a young trumpeter in highschool. However I think it is the warm ballad artistry of the sax section (Lanny Morgan, Willie Maiden, Ronnie Cuber) on Maiden's composition "Tinsel" and the easy going loper "This Night" that really sunk in and hooked me.

It is a real shame that this album has not been more widely available during the CD era. Hopefully it will see new light in the download era. I was able to nab a used CD copy in it's reincarnation as "Dues" sometime ago.

Don't let this one pass you by!!!

Maynard Ferguson, Dues (Mainstream)

Agreed! I'm very pleased with it. :)

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of vinyl items.

Nice copy of Quincy Jones 'Body Heat' on A&M. Haven't heard that one for over 25 years ! (will need to get my joss sticks and kaftan out)

Plus a new Nathan Davis. 'Best of Nathan Davis 65-76' 2LP set on Jazzman Records. Looks promising ! :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

I live one block from a used record/CD store. It's small, but they often have some nice stuff. I self-exiled myself from the store for the month of August because I had been buying too much stuff. I dropped in today for the first time in about six weeks and walked out with:

CD - Prince Lasha: Inside Story (Enja)

LPs - Lee Morgan: a British double LP of broadcasts by the Live at the Lighthouse band

Cootie Williams and Rex Stewart: The Big Challenge (for a dollar)

The Freddie Roach Soul Book (Prestige deep groove).

The Roach is playing right now, and it sounds great. I was so tickled that I'll send my Prestige 45 of "You've Got Your Troubles"/"One Track Mind" by Freddie Roach to the first board member who posts here asking for it. I'll even pick up the postage. Please follow up with a PM.

Sonny Criss -- "The Complete Imperial Sessions"

Thelonious Monk -- "Live at the It Club"

Don Byas -- "A Night in Tunisia"

Horace Tapscott -- "Dark Tree"

51Zl+2Lkk7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41KV0AFYGDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41X641CMTHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg2100kLxW+sL._SL500_AA125_.jpg

The last one's a remastered Hat release I hadn't been aware of until yesterday. Was available for "pre-order" from Jazzloft (through amazon) for a fraction of the price it would cost to acquire vols. 1&2 today, used. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jimmie Lunceford, "Lunceford Special;" and, arriving from the big oldies.com "Fantasy sale, Bud Powell, "Paris Sessions" (based on the high praise somewhere in this forum), "The Birdlanders, Vol. 2," and Lenny Niehaus, "Zounds!" (and I hope this is as good as its cover).

LPs - Lee Morgan: a British double LP of broadcasts by the Live at the Lighthouse band

On DJM Records - came out around 1975. If it's the one I'm thinking of it has the live broadcast from the 'Both/And' club, released on CD more recently by Fresh Sound. I picked up this 2LP set myself quite recently for £2 !

DJM_logo.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Sonny Criss -- "The Complete Imperial Sessions"

Thelonious Monk -- "Live at the It Club"

Don Byas -- "A Night in Tunisia"

Horace Tapscott -- "Dark Tree"

51Zl%202Lkk7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg41KV0AFYGDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41X641CMTHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg2100kLxW%20sL._SL500_AA125_.jpg

The last one's a remastered Hat release I hadn't been aware of until yesterday. Was available for "pre-order" from Jazzloft (through amazon) for a fraction of the price it would cost to acquire vols. 1&2 today, used. Keeping my fingers crossed.

All great choices! Regarding the Tapscott you won't be dissapointed the remastering was done really well. The music sounds fresh and brilliant.

On DJM Records - came out around 1975. If it's the one I'm thinking of it has the live broadcast from the 'Both/And' club, released on CD more recently by Fresh Sound. I picked up this 2LP set myself quite recently for £2 !

DJM_logo.jpg

That's the one. Fabulous music, and the sound's not bad. Does anyone have recording date(s)?

According to Tom Perchard's book the 'Both/And' engagement in San Fran was over 2 weeks in June 1970. The band headed down to play the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach after that (and recorded there for Blue Note).

Thanks for the info, sidewinder. The music is great, and the audience is a lot of fun - they were really into the band.

Derrick May - Innovator

31QHV1V08NL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Gilles Peterson - Brazilika: Explorations Deep Inside The Vaults (Vinyl)

35185.jpg

Kandia Kouyate - Ngara

35156.jpg

Karen Dalton - It's So Hard To Tell Who's Going To Love You The Best (Vinyl)

34848.jpg

Martial Solal And Lee Konitz - Star Eyes

35157.jpg

Robert Wilkins - The Original Rolling Stone

1077.jpg

V.A. - Andrew Hill - Solo (Mosaic - 3CD)

MS023.jpg

V.A. - Blues Calendar 2010

612QtpAyH4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

V.A. - Open Strings: Early Virtuoso Recordings From The Middle East, And New Responses (Vinyl)

34152.jpg

Edited by jostber