What music did you buy today?

tonym

Ordered them via Oldies, hope I get them. Alan Broadbent will be new to me.

Gene Ammons - Jammin' In Hi-Fi With Gene Ammons

Wilbur Ware - The Chicago Sound

51Ad46PGIcL._SL500_AA280_.jpgf77843gp8ox.jpg

I quite like that Chicago Sound album---some good stuff on there.

Hope to play that(Chicago Sound) over the course of the weekend. Arrived in the mail yesterday courtesy Oldies.com.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great finds today s/h - £5 each.

'Quincy Jones - Swiss Radio Days Vol 1' (TCB) - Thank you King Ubu for the prompt on this series. Fabulous ! Now I'll have to find the rest of the series.. ;)

:)

I'm waiting for a bunch to arrive via various amazon.fr marketplace sellers - those were the best prizes (w/shipping) for me.

I can highly recommend the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Mulligan CJB, and Louis Hayes/Woody Shaw for starters.

The Don Redman may be a bit weak (albeit the great line-up it has), but I don't think there's a real clinker in the series (But I'm still waiting for the two Peterson/Fitzgerald/JATP and the two Hamptons, as well as the Coleman Hawkins... and I still have a couple of gaps).

Some great finds today s/h - £5 each.

'Quincy Jones - Swiss Radio Days Vol 1' (TCB) - Thank you King Ubu for the prompt on this series. Fabulous ! Now I'll have to find the rest of the series.. ;)

:)

I'm waiting for a bunch to arrive via various amazon.fr marketplace sellers - those were the best prizes (w/shipping) for me.

I can highly recommend the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Mulligan CJB, and Louis Hayes/Woody Shaw for starters.

The Don Redman may be a bit weak (albeit the great line-up it has), but I don't think there's a real clinker in the series (But I'm still waiting for the two Peterson/Fitzgerald/JATP and the two Hamptons, as well as the Coleman Hawkins... and I still have a couple of gaps).

Thanks flurin - I'll keep an eye open for the Jones/Lewis (can't believe I haven't already seen/got that one) and the Shaw/Hayes, for sure. The Quincy Jones is a keeper !

ordered today:

The Doors - Strange Days

The Doors - L.A. Woman

(the two missing ones... got the old version of L.A. Woman though, never had/heard Strange Days!)

plus:

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

an artist I'm just starting to discover - found her first three albums in the summer sales and I guess I'm slowly being hooked... somehow I sort of need to get over her voice... to hear how beautiful her music is and how well her voice forms part of the music!

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

an artist I'm just starting to discover - found her first three albums in the summer sales and I guess I'm slowly being hooked... somehow I sort of need to get over her voice... to hear how beautiful her music is and how well her voice forms part of the music!

Blue is my favorite Joni Mitchell album.

ordered today:

The Doors - Strange Days

The Doors - L.A. Woman

(the two missing ones... got the old version of L.A. Woman though, never had/heard Strange Days!)

plus:

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

My favorite Doors' song- People Are Strange- is from Strange Days.

I know "People Are Strange", of course... I think I had a tape dub of the 2CD best of set for a while, when in high school... one of the greatest impressions was seing the opening of "Apocalypse Now" for the first time...

How about that Doors box, the longbox one, w/outtakes, rehearsals, live recordings etc? Worth getting?

Jean-Louis Rassinfosse/Chet Baker/Philip Catherine (Igloo)

fruitfull visit to my local brick and mortar... as i posted elsewhere - their selection is small, but for the only serious cd store in town they're beter than most i guess (and they're not specialized on jazz at all)... 8 euro...

An amazing used cd haul on my visit to Chicago's Exchange and Restless Records on Milwaukee St tonight:

This is Tal Farlow w/ slipcase-VEE- for $10!!!!!!

Art Farmer-Benny Golson Jazztet-Here and Now-VEE- for $8!!!!!!

Prince Lasha & Sonny Simmons-Firebirds-Contemporary/OJC- WITH PRINCE LASHA'S AUTOGRAPH INSIDE THE BOOKLET!!!-for $8!!!!!

Ok, enough with all the excitement, here's what else I got:

Roy Campbell-Ethic Brew and Stew-Delmark

Sun Ra-Angels and Demons at Play/The Nubians of Plutonia-El Saturn/Evidence

Sun Ra-Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy/Art Forms for Dimensions Tomorrow-El Saturn/Evidence

Louis Smith-Smithville-BN Conn

Sirone-Live-UMS

George Russell Sextet-Ezz-Thetics-Riverside Keepnews Collection

Gene Shaw Quintet-Break Through-Argo/Dustygroove

Matthew Shipp Quartet-The Flow of X-2-13-61 Records

Charles Brakeen Quartet-Worshippers Come Nigh-Silkheart Records

Gregor Hotz + Nicholas Bussman-You Never Gave Me Your Pillow-FMP

Its Time for Dave Pike-Riverside/OJC

Stu Goldberg-Eye of the Beholder-MPS

Archie Shepp Full Moon Ensemble-Live in Antibes Vols I & II-Actuell/Fuel 2000

Curtis Fuller-The Opener-BN RVG

Stuff in the pipeline (with many thanks to the folks here for highlighting some of these):

"Johhny Griffin Sextet"

Wilbur Ware -- "Chicago Sound"

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis, Johnny Griffin -- "Live at Minton's"

Red Garland Quintet -- "Soul Junction"

Prestige All Stars -- "Earthy"

31EWNDXNDXL._SL500_AA160_.jpg21C35DAPZJL._SL500_AA130_.jpg21FWEZPM32L._SL500_AA130_.jpg

41boMIIOmtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg211V70SGJBL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

Stuff in the pipeline (with many thanks to the folks here for highlighting some of these):

"Johhny Griffin Sextet"

Wilbur Ware -- "Chicago Sound"

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis, Johnny Griffin -- "Live at Minton's"

Red Garland Quintet -- "Soul Junction"

Prestige All Stars -- "Earthy"

31EWNDXNDXL._SL500_AA160_.jpg21C35DAPZJL._SL500_AA130_.jpg21FWEZPM32L._SL500_AA130_.jpg

41boMIIOmtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg211V70SGJBL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

:tup For Earthy! Glad you were able to get a copy at what I hope was a decent price. Love those Prestige all-star jams.

Not sure if I'll receive all these recordings, but here goes:

Roots - Various Artists

Ted Curson - Fire Down Below

Tiny Grimes - Blues Groove, Callin' The Blues, Tiny In Swingville

Ray Bryant - Alone With The Blues

Sonny Clark - My Conception

c57375eyqh5.jpgf61297xbvry.jpgd85466gfk7l.jpgf78034apkcs.jpgf61016p4mxj.jpgd29729y1o59.jpgd98955db3s0.jpg

Oh man, those all look great! Yoish.

:P