What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was running errands this morning and popped into a Half-Price Book store. I couldn't resist picking up still sealed copies of Sonny Clark's My Conception, and Horace Silver's Further Explorations By The Horace Silver Quintet for $7.98 each.

51JA23VCC6L._AA240_.jpg (Sonny Clark, Hank Mobley, Clifford Jordan, Donald Byrd, Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers, Art Blakey, Pete LaRoca.)

2111PKHK32L._AA192_.jpg (Horace Silver, Art Farmer, Clifford Jordan, Teddy Kotick, Louis Hayes.)

I was running errands this morning and popped into a Half-Price Book store. I couldn't resist picking up still sealed copies of Sonny Clark's My Conception, and Horace Silver's Further Explorations By The Horace Silver Quintet for $7.98 each.

51JA23VCC6L._AA240_.jpg (Sonny Clark, Hank Mobley, Clifford Jordan, Donald Byrd, Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers, Art Blakey, Pete LaRoca.)

2111PKHK32L._AA192_.jpg (Horace Silver, Art Farmer, Clifford Jordan, Teddy Kotick, Louis Hayes.)

I was pretty amazed to see the Clark-thought it was OOP-but at least two of the Half Prices here had them in stock along with various titles from that BN Spanish Blue Note Collection where all the covers are blue.

I was pretty amazed to see the Clark-thought it was OOP-but at least two of the Half Prices here had them in stock along with various titles from that BN Spanish Blue Note Collection where all the covers are blue.

The Horace Silver "Further Explorations" was one of the Spanish Blue Notes with the blue tinted cover photo. I couldn't find a picture of that version so I included a picture of the regular issue in my original post. Unfortunately, when I attempted to play the Silver CD, my player would not read it. I thought it was a problem with my player but I took the disc out and looked at it to discover two long scuff marks crossing over half the disc. It's unplayable. This was a brand-new, sealed disc! I didn't even bother to look at it before putting it in my player but I'm certain my player would not and did not make those marks. They had another copy there and I hope to exchange it tomorrow.

The Horace Silver "Further Explorations" was one of the Spanish Blue Notes with the blue tinted cover photo. I couldn't find a picture of that version so I included a picture of the regular issue in my original post. Unfortunately, when I attempted to play the Silver CD, my player would not read it. I thought it was a problem with my player but I took the disc out and looked at it to discover two long scuff marks crossing over half the disc. It's unplayable. This was a brand-new, sealed disc! I didn't even bother to look at it before putting it in my player but I'm certain my player would not and did not make those marks. They had another copy there and I hope to exchange it tomorrow.

Terrific sound on that Spanish Blue Note release, by the way--it's a Japanese remastering.

Some of those outstanding orders are starting to roll in. :tup In the mailbox today (from BMG):

Enrico Rava's The Words And The Days as well as Tati.

51hTgEQkgUL._AA240_.jpg31HL1UkaPqL._AA240_.jpg

Anouar Brahem's Thimar and Jan Garbarek/Ustad Fatesh Ali Khan's Ragas and Sagas.

41-K2eUIIAL._AA240_.jpg41G5CXPV3DL._AA240_.jpg

Dino Saluzzi/Anja Lechner's Ojos Negros and The Bill Charlap Trio's Live At The Village Vanguard.

41xhXVlb1VL._AA240_.jpg41dx4Sja6ML._AA240_.jpg

I hope those weren't part of Ron's 278 orders! He's gonna be mad~!

I think this order was in before Ron depleted BMG's stock. I think that's why my other orders haven't shipped yet. ^_^

What can I say? My mouse fingers get twitchy sometimes, and I just can't seem to stop 'em. :blush:

Ok, so I go to pay my 2007 property taxes (late after 1/31) & renew one of our car's registration (both done at the same location) & I pass a Salvation Army store that's been open for about a month or so. Decided to stop in on the way back, and lo and be-hold, look waht they had for $2.99 each (CD):

Vijay Iyer - reimagining

Noah Howard - at Documetnia IX

Leni Stern - when evening falls

Joe Chambers - MIRRORS

Dmitry From Paris - Sacre Bleu

Red Holloway - coast to coast

Ok, so these are mostly promos (hole punched out of UPC), but damn, I couldn't find this shit my freakin' Borders or B&N, ya' know? And come to find ut, if I'd been 55 or older (got a few years left...) I coulda gotten a better price, because Tuesdays are Senior Discount Day @ the Salvation A.

Moral of the story - pay your taxes on time, pay attention to things you pass on the way, and don't be afraid of suburban thrift stores.

Mariano-Josephs-del Fra-Breuer Quartet: Warum bist Du traurig

1893.jpg

Charlie Mariano, as, ss; Gregor Josephs, p; Riccardo del Fra, b; Gerd Breuer, d.

Herb Ellis: Ellis In Wonderland

1897.jpg

Herb Ellis, g; Harry 'Sweets' Edison, tp; Charlie Mariano, as; Jimmy Giuffre, ts, bs, cl; Oscar Peterson, p; Ray Brown, b; Alvin Stoller, d.

Dauner-Mariano-Saluzzi: Live In Concert

1898.jpg

Wolfgang Dauner, p; Charlie Mariano, sax; Dino Saluzzi, bandoneon.

Dauner-Mariano-Saluzzi: Pas de Trois

1899.jpg

Wolfgang Dauner, p; Charlie Mariano, sax; Dino Saluzzi, bandoneon.

Birthday Presents für C.M.

1900.jpg

Sampler on the occasion of Charlie Mariano's 80th birthday.

Pat Metheny Trio: Day Trio

1894.jpg

Pat Metheny, g; Christian McBride, b; Antonio Sanchez, d.

I follow Pat Metheny's career from the very beginning with Gary Burton's group. And yes, I'm a dedicated fan of Pat Metheny. My two cents to Christian McBride couldn't tell anything new. Antonio Sanchez is one of the completest drummers I ever listened to. I saw him as a member of the Joshua Redman Trio at the Bix in Stuttgart. Amazing!

Something for You: Eliane Elias sings & plays Bill Evans

1895.jpg

Looking forward to listening to this piece...

Heinrich Heine Lyrik und Jazz

1901.jpg

Narrator Gerd Westphal accompanied by Attila Zoller, g; Emil Mangelsdorff, fl, as, cl; Peter Trunk, b; Klaus Weiss, d.

The Miles Davis Quintet: The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions

1896.jpg

Special offer 4CDs box for €19.95 - couldn't resist...

Edited by hepcat1950

The Miles Davis Quintet: The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions

Special offer 4CDs box for €19.95 - couldn't resist...

Where? Zweitausendeins? :excited:

Far from it! I got it at my local record shop. They got a bargain batch which they sell for €29.95 and they reduced the price again because I'm a regular customer leaving a lot of money there... :cool:

But I got Ellis In Wonderland for €4.99 at Zweitausendeins.

Edited by hepcat1950

Far from it! I got it at my local record shop.

Nice one ! One to watch out for then, on Amazon.

I think it's a nice collector's item. Disc 4 contains previously unissued material only.

• Four tracks recorded at The Tonight Show with Steve Allen on Nov 11, 1955
  • Two tracks rec. at The Blue Note, Philadelphia, PA on Dec 8, 1956
  • Four tracks rec. at Café Bohemia, NYC on May 17, 1958
  • Five transcriptions on the enhanced portion of the disc

The box comes with a 40 pages booklet including some great photographs of all members of the quintet.