What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief Charlie Brown! No one's bought anything for four days!!!!!

Well, the postman just brought this from Da Barstids in time for Christmas

00-0001-0958.jpg

Thanks to Natural Soul for the tip-off!!!

Orig yellow label mono in reasonable condition, though I haven't tried it yet. But it FEELS so good!

MG

For £12 , Sidney Bechet Mosaic LP set :excited:

;)

Same bargain source?

I thought I was doing well with my CD version of this for £18.

Yep.. same source as for my Basie LP set. The Mosaic LPs sound as good as my one W63rd Bechet. Not sure if they're digital LPs or not but they sound good enough to me. Nice to have all the material in order even the later sessions are not that riveting.

Yep.. same source as for my Basie LP set. The Mosaic LPs sound as good as my one W63rd Bechet. Not sure if they're digital LPs or not but they sound good enough to me. Nice to have all the material in order even the later sessions are not that riveting.

Cool ! :tup

That Bechet set is presumably pre-QLP but should still sound really good.

Still to play the majority of my 'London' sets but the next week should give a chance or two - hopefully.

3596971286927s.gif

Here's the track list.

http://www.alapage.com/files/pdf/nova.pdf

Looking for a copy from the previous edition that will be affordable.

That is a REALLY strange list. Quite apart from the very eccentric dating of some of the tracks. A random sample that leap off the screen:

Ray Charles - Lonely Avenue - 1962 (more like 1956)

Chuck Berry - Havana moon - 1964 (also 1956)

Ray Charles - I believe to my soul 1964 (1959)

Charlie Parker - Lover man (1956) (but he was dead!)

Louis Jordan - Let the good times roll (1956) (no, 1946)

Elvis Presley - Good rockin' tonight (1956) (I thought that was one of the tracks he recorded earlier for Sun, but I'm no expert on him)

And what's this Meter's record "Chicken strut"?

Duh?

But, if you were going to pick a Berry :), would you pick "Havana moon"? Or why? Given a choice of all Parker's recordings, why "Lover man"? Ditto for Ray Charles, Louis Jordan and Elvis Presley. JB's "Please please please" is in there, but none of the groundbreaking stuff from the late sixties.

But it IS interesting that they've got quite a few groundbreaking African recordings in there - but equally, missed Fela Kuti entirely, also Thomas Mapfumo - one of the main cultural driving forces behind Robert Mugabe's success in Zimbabwe in the seventies - and all of the important Highlife bands from Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone. Some concentration on Francophone Africa by the looks of it. (But even within Francophone Africa, selecting Mory Kante rather than one of the much more important and much more enjoyable Guinean big bands of the Sekou Toure era seems perverse.)

Please do tell us what you get out of this when it arrives. I must say it's piqued my interest, VBII.

MG

3596971286927s.gif

Here's the track list.

http://www.alapage.com/files/pdf/nova.pdf

Looking for a copy from the previous edition that will be affordable.

That is a REALLY strange list. Quite apart from the very eccentric dating of some of the tracks. A random sample that leap off the screen:

Ray Charles - Lonely Avenue - 1962 (more like 1956)

Chuck Berry - Havana moon - 1964 (also 1956)

Ray Charles - I believe to my soul 1964 (1959)

Charlie Parker - Lover man (1956) (but he was dead!)

Louis Jordan - Let the good times roll (1956) (no, 1946)

Elvis Presley - Good rockin' tonight (1956) (I thought that was one of the tracks he recorded earlier for Sun, but I'm no expert on him)

And what's this Meter's record "Chicken strut"?

Duh?

But, if you were going to pick a Berry :), would you pick "Havana moon"? Or why? Given a choice of all Parker's recordings, why "Lover man"? Ditto for Ray Charles, Louis Jordan and Elvis Presley. JB's "Please please please" is in there, but none of the groundbreaking stuff from the late sixties.

But it IS interesting that they've got quite a few groundbreaking African recordings in there - but equally, missed Fela Kuti entirely, also Thomas Mapfumo - one of the main cultural driving forces behind Robert Mugabe's success in Zimbabwe in the seventies - and all of the important Highlife bands from Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone. Some concentration on Francophone Africa by the looks of it. (But even within Francophone Africa, selecting Mory Kante rather than one of the much more important and much more enjoyable Guinean big bands of the Sekou Toure era seems perverse.)

Please do tell us what you get out of this when it arrives. I must say it's piqued my interest, VBII.

MG

Now check out the as weird track list of the previous boxset covering from 1981 to 2006 that starts by Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit hippy.gif

http://www.discogs.com/release/1017133

Wow! Again the eccentric dating! Some that jump out at me:

Last Poets - New York New York - 1969, not 1984

Les Ambassadeurs - Sidiki - 1979, not 1984

Fela Kuti - ITT - 1979, not 1982

Funkadelic - One nation under a groove - 1978 not 1985

Bembeya Jazz National - Doni doni - 1971 not 1985

Mory Kante - Ye ke ye ke - 1987, not 1986 (just to show they get it wrong in both directions :))

Gil Scott-Heron - Your daddy loves you - 1980, not 1987

Again, a very interesting selection, but one still wonders why those particular items have been selected.

MG

The boxsets are celebrating an ecclectic French radio station that specializes in playing a curious mix of African, electronic, jazz and other non-mainstream music called Nova that celebrated their 25th anniversary .

Here is their web site, try to find more info in english, couldn't.

http://www.novaplanet.com/html/radio/html/radiosom.html

Here's what they played in the last hour or so

13:12 Kool And The Gang Soul vibrations

13:17 Heavy Unbelievable

13:19 Pinduca Vamos farrear

13:22 Jurassic 5 The influence

13:26 Curtis Mayfield Move on up

13:35 The Virgins Rich girls

13:38 Michelle Amador/osunlade Because of you

13:42 Bb King The thrill is gone

13:47 Collie Buddz Come around

13:51 Mia Paper planes

13:54 Jimi Tenor My mind

14:00 Dynamics Miss you

14:03 Lenny Kravitz If you can't say no

14:08 Vampire Weekend Cape cod kwassa kwassa

If i had access to this music in my office, i would put the radio on instead of being stuck with those awful easy listening light rock crap.

Probably that Brownie and our other French friends will be able to you more about them.

just sent in an order for some Chronological Classics Ellington - mainly to fill the gaps and get some of the thirties Columbia material:

1932-1933

Volume 3: 1933-1938 (this goes from 1933-1935 to 1938 Vol. 1, 6 single Chronological discs)

all from abeillemusic for about 40 euro - I hope they'll really deliver, never used that site before... the prize on the box is hard to beat! (less than 23 euro for me, with VAT deducted - I found an otherwise nice swiss site having it for around 55-60 euro... which is still a lot cheaper than it would cost in any store if they had to order it for me...)

will have to get more later - the 1938-1940 discs are mostly not available at the moment, though... only Classics 747, 1938-39 and 1939 Vol. 2 seem to be available, but not 1938 Vol. 2, 1939, 1939-40. THen I'll need the later ones, from 1947-1952, roughly, to fill in the gaps around "Masterpieces", "Great Times" and "Uptown"... from then on I think I'm pretty complete for around 10 years... (missing "Indigos", "A Drum Is a Woman" and probably a few others... and I have none of the DETS and Transcriptions yet from the 40s... only one cheapo on Naxos with very nice 1946 material for Capitol Transcription and a few live cuts... too much Duke out there, but it's all so good!

The boxsets are celebrating an ecclectic French radio station that specializes in playing a curious mix of African, electronic, jazz and other non-mainstream music called Nova that celebrated their 25th anniversary .

Here is their web site, try to find more info in english, couldn't.

http://www.novaplanet.com/html/radio/html/radiosom.html

Here's what they played in the last hour or so

13:12 Kool And The Gang Soul vibrations

13:17 Heavy Unbelievable

13:19 Pinduca Vamos farrear

13:22 Jurassic 5 The influence

13:26 Curtis Mayfield Move on up

13:35 The Virgins Rich girls

13:38 Michelle Amador/osunlade Because of you

13:42 Bb King The thrill is gone

13:47 Collie Buddz Come around

13:51 Mia Paper planes

13:54 Jimi Tenor My mind

14:00 Dynamics Miss you

14:03 Lenny Kravitz If you can't say no

14:08 Vampire Weekend Cape cod kwassa kwassa

If i had access to this music in my office, i would put the radio on instead of being stuck with those awful easy listening light rock crap.

Probably that Brownie and our other French friends will be able to you more about them.

It is a very interesting mix. By no means all to my taste (and some a long way off it) but so interesting that it doesn't matter. I think I see the rationale for the dating, now; something to do with when the station was playing those tracks a lot, I guess (though it really is quite hard to play things a lot before they come out - not impossible if the station was picked by the company to air stuff in advance - but this doesn't look like that kind of station).

MG

Took all my Christmas money, plus credit I had on trade-ins, went into Seattle and bought:

Sun Ra:

--- Jazz in Silhoutte

--- Alantis

--- Space Is The Place

--- The Night Of The Purple Moon

--- Heliocentric Worlds vol. 1 & 2

--- Love in Outer Space

--- Angels And Demons At Play / The Nubians of Plutonia

--- Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy / Art Forms Of Dimension Tomorrow

Frank Zappa:

--- Freak Out!

--- Absolutely Free

--- We're Only In It For The Money

--- Just Another Band From L.A.

--- Hot Rats

--- Burnt Weeny Sandwich

--- Waka/Jawaka

--- The Grand Wazoo

For some reason, I really want to listen to these two artists in 2008.

Edited by Matthew

Took all my Christmas money, plus credit I had on trade-ins, went into Seattle and bought:

Sun Ra:

--- Jazz in Silhoutte

--- Alantis

--- Space Is The Place

--- The Night Of The Purple Moon

--- Heliocentric Worlds vol. 1 & 2

--- Love in Outer Space

--- Angels And Demons At Play / The Nubians of Plutonia

--- Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy / Art Forms Of Dimension Tomorrow

Frank Zappa:

--- Freak Out!

--- Absolutely Free

--- We're Only In It For The Money

--- Just Another Band From L.A.

--- Hot Rats

--- Burnt Weeny Sandwich

--- Waka/Jawaka

--- The Grand Wazoo

For some reason, I really want to listen to these two artists in 2008.

S'gonna be a pretty freaked out year!