What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alvin Batiste "Marsalis Music Honors"

That's a new one, and it's good! I reviewed it in the New Releases forum not long ago.

I wonder why it was in the cutout bin.

Not a cutout, but it may have been a promo copy (the disc is at work so I can't check). Amoeba will also mark down discs (sometimes dramatically) if they're slightly scratched or if the inserts are dinged.

THELONIOUS MONK

monk-cd.jpg

First you concentrate on the background noises made by the audience; the conversations, the laughters, the drinking; it irritates and after a minute you have to concentrate to the music of Monk - the strange chords, the weird accents, the gorgeous melodies; you're under the spell on Monk's music; you're alone with him in the same room. No other noises can bother you ..... that's the bewitched feeling I always have with Monk.

Live in New York - volume 1

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

Was craving some quick new music, so i bought these from i-tunes

Lullaby For The Working Class - Blanket Warm - This one is especially beautiful, Ted Stevens is always nice.

Orenda Fink - Bloodline EP - Been wanting this for a while, Great 9 minutes of music!

Slumber Party Records Split - A good compilation from some of my favorite bands

Of Montreal - Icons Abstract Thee EP - This should be good.

Edited by NaturalSoul

Highlighting choice finds:

I finally tracked down a copy of Horace Tapscott's The Dark Tree (Volume 2), which is wonderful. I may still prefer the earlier treatments of many of these compositions, especially on the simmeringly furious The Giant Is Awakened, but these later sides have a special, concentrated sort of intensity.

Also: John Carter's Variations on Selected Themes for Jazz Quintet (which I didn't even know had made it to CD). It's an unusual bass-less format, and Carter's eerie orchestration is resplendent in the unconventional "front-line" interaction (Carter on clarinet, Bobby Bradford on trumpet, and James Newton on flute). Interesting to note how Bob Stewart's tuba provides more of a liminal melodic role than rhythmic support (ala Joseph Daley in the Sam Rivers trios)--that job is capably handled by Phillip Wilson. The program here has a quiet, insular character that sits nicely with me against Carter's more epic forays.

Also: finally figured out that Joe Chambers's Double Exposure is still sort-of available on LP. I expected a whole album like the explosive "Monk's Dream" duet on Unity, but the character of this record is decidedly softcore. Larry Young plays a largely supportive role, spotlighting Chambers's piano work. It's a nice coda to the Young legacy--rumbling with passion, but mysterious and oblique.

Hi all, I'm back and my PC is working fine now, so I AM a happy bunny!

While my it's been out of action, I've found some nice cheapo compilations to fill some gaping holes in my collection in my local shop:

CD07NDMuddyWaters.jpg

2007JimmyReed.jpg

42278_c_l.jpg

They're all on the Blue Label label. Poor packaging, very nice sound, decent sleeve notes by Neil Slavin, but no discographical info whatever.

Can anyone point me to online discogs of these three artists, please?

MG

Hi all, I'm back and my PC is working fine now, so I AM a happy bunny!

While my it's been out of action, I've found some nice cheapo compilations to fill some gaping holes in my collection in my local shop:

CD07NDMuddyWaters.jpg

2007JimmyReed.jpg

42278_c_l.jpg

They're all on the Blue Label label. Poor packaging, very nice sound, decent sleeve notes by Neil Slavin, but no discographical info whatever.

Can anyone point me to online discogs of these three artists, please?

MG

Welcome back, buddy. :)

Various - The Kenton Alumni Series, Live At The Royal Palms Inn (Woofy Productions)

a 9 cd set featuring 1993 live recordings by different groups (quintets and sextets) (co-)led by Conte Candoli, Buddy Childers, Shorty Rogers, Pete Candoli, Carl Fontana, Bob Cooper, Bill Holman, Bill Perkins, Bud Shank, Jack Nimitz, backed by relatively unknown (at least to me) local rhythm sections

Edited by Tommy T

Dusty Groove is carrying a few copies of Blue Mitchell's Bantu Village (LP) so I grabbed one of those. Of course now this and Collision in Black will probably be released by Water -- or maybe will be available as MP3s on the Blue Note website. Whatever.

I just ordered a set of Lionel Rogg playing Bach on organ, but it hasn't arrived. Looking forward to that, as well as getting the replacement for the Glenn Gould OJC collection.