What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BILL HARRIS

harris-cd.jpg

A great recollection to an almost forgotten trombone player.

Complete Fifties Sessions

Keep swinging

Durium

Never heard of this cat, but now I'm interested in hearing him. That's the beauty of this thread: a constant calling to listen to new people/groups. JSangry has certianly mentioned a ton of music that I've never heard of before. :tup

Edited by Holy Ghost

Three days after the postal strike, this one finally turned up!

concha%20buika%20lola%20cover.jpg

Oh wow!

I've listened to all three of her albums today and this is a lot like hearing Fats Domino for the first time, or the first time I heard Soul music, or an organ combo, or Mbalax, or Pharoah Sanders, or Albert Ayler. These moments aren't repeatable. But they make life worthwhile!

MG

Jan Lundgren Trio, Cooking at the Jazz Bakery.

This is somewhat of a gamble, as I've never heard anything by Lundgren, but I recently read some good writeups on Doug Ramsay's blog and elsewhere.

So what do you think abou it? Now, I haven't heard the Bakery album, but I know that Lundgren can play, if given the right setting. It seems that he is rather conventional when he's calling the shots himself, but can be forced into a more adventurous mode if the setting asks for it.

Jan Lundgren Trio, Cooking at the Jazz Bakery.

This is somewhat of a gamble, as I've never heard anything by Lundgren, but I recently read some good writeups on Doug Ramsay's blog and elsewhere.

So what do you think abou it? Now, I haven't heard the Bakery album, but I know that Lundgren can play, if given the right setting. It seems that he is rather conventional when he's calling the shots himself, but can be forced into a more adventurous mode if the setting asks for it.

I just ordered it, will post some impressions when it arrives.

This session may fall on the conventional side, but it's repertory I really enjoy (bop standards, incl. tunes by Dameron, Gryce, Bird, Silver, Bud et al.), so I'll surely have an opinion.

Well, the postman eventually disgorged the rest of my September order of OJCs, today.

Junior Mance – Junior’s blues

38908.jpg

Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis & Johnny Griffin – Tough tenors – completes my Griff/Jaws early recordings collection.

LPmikamitakeshi%20676.jpg

Buck Clayton & Buddy Tate – Buck and Buddy blow the blues

OJCCD-850-2.jpg

Red Garland – Bright and breezy

Red27.jpg

Coleman Hawkins – The Hawk relaxes

hawkin_cole_hawkrelax_101b.jpg

This turned out to be the RVG. Very nice.

MG

Traded in a lot of old rock cds, plus some extra cash, and got some Evans to plug some holes in my collection, plus a couple of others:

Bill Evans:

--- Homecoming

--- Bill Evans and Orchestra at Brandeis Jazz Festival

--- Interplay

--- Autumn Leaves

--- Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans: Know What I mean? (SACD)

--- New Conversations

--- Letter to Evan: Live at Ronnie Scott's

--- Live in Ottawa

--- Live in Paris, 1965

--- Live in Stockholm, 1965

--- Time Remembered

--- Solo Sessions Volume. 1

Steve Lacy / Roswell Rudd: Early and Late

Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser (SACD)

Weather Report: Mysterious Traveller (SACD)

Gary McFarland and Steve Kuhn: The October Suite

I finally found this one at a good price:

VL4in.jpg

"4 in Perspective" with Kenny Wheeler, Fred Hersch, Norma Winstone and Paul Clarvis; a 1999 concert released on Clarvis' Villiage Life label. This is simply a wonderful album! Hersch and Wheeler is such a good match.

I suspect this is the kind of CD that will be very difficult to find within a few years. As noted in another thread Wheeler (or Hersch) fans are advised to check out this one.

516EN59B9YL._AA240_.jpg51P2HQ5GGCL._AA240_.jpg

In one of my daughter's junior high fund raising efforts, I volunteer to be a food taster for market studies. The school gets $9.00 for the test and I was paid $26.00 for about an hour of my time today tasting 4 different bowls of frosted shredded wheat type cereal and answering a bunch of questions about it. What better way to dispense of such quick and easy money than picking up some new jazz?

The Art of Ivry Gitlis (Vox)

:tup

IMHO the best Bartok and the rest are dandy. I love this set. He was one crazy mf.

I listened to the Bartok Solo Violin Sonata this afternoon. To my (admitedly uneducated) ears, he could really wail.

I kept it in mind and ordered it because of an old post of yours about the Sibelius Violin Concerto. Glad I remembered.

IMHO the best Bartok and the rest are dandy. I love this set. He was one crazy mf.

I listened to the Bartok Solo Violin Sonata this afternoon. To my (admitedly uneducated) ears, he could really wail.

I kept it in mind and ordered it because of an old post of yours about the Sibelius Violin Concerto. Glad I remembered.

LISTEN TO THE BARTOK CONCERTO!

OK - I'll listen to it twice. :D