What music did you buy today?

tonym

The first 2 of my latest tranche of OJCs turned up this morning

41DAJ2JV56L._SS500_.jpg

This is fuckin' fantastic! Nat, whose stuff I listen to more than Cannon's, is spitting fire on this! And Johnny Griffin is rolling me over! And the 3 Sounds are great!

ssbs.jpg

Another terrific one! Oliver Nelson and Joe Newman really make this into an extraordinary album! Perhaps not as in your face as the Adderley, but still a blinder!

I could have been listening to these for forty years!!!!

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!

MG

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doin' some used cd shopping and bought these:

Charles Mingus: New Tijuana Moods -Bluebird 1st Edtions 2CD set for $10!

John Coltrane: Dear Old Stockholm -Impulse! for $5 Been meaning to get this one for a long time.

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer -BN RVG -for $8

And I found Harry Connick Jr's "She" in the dollar bin for the Mrs.

Not a bad haul.

Got my Sterns sale albums today

sylaf96070.jpg

One of my favourites, upgraded from K7. Nice to see there are two bonus tracks on the CD version.

cdgurb035.jpg

Not heard this yet, but it does look like it's a jazz album.

And also one I ordered a little while ago from Amazon UK, which, though it's Spanish, had to come from the US?

stitt_sonny_mymothers_101b.jpg

Strange that the bonus tracks are the trio cuts from Sonny's album "Deuces wild". another I'm glad to upgrade, though my King pressing is very good.

MG

Nothing today - but last Saturday I got together with a good friend at Sally's Place in Westport, Ct. and picked up Von Freeman's The Improvisor and Paul Desmond's Quintet/Quartet. Unfortunately, my wife took them to set aside and give to me on my birthday - she says she never knows what to get for me. So I'll have to wait a couple of months to hear them. Gives me something to look forward to, and it'll be nice to get some music on my birthday.

For anyone passing through S.E. Ct., Sally's place is a great place to check out. And Sally White is a great person to talk with.

d5df_1.JPG

Bongo Madness

Buddy Collette Flute,

Don Ralké piano,

Don Tosti bass,

Tom Wofford conga.

Beautiful record. Great Sound. The record got a RCM clean and it has still some surface hiss.

Some day I will find a NM copy.

Edited by 4%XB

Stumbled across a a CD on my "very wanted" list at a used place in Boston today (on my way to the 30th Annual John Coltrane memorial Concert, a great Boston-area institution).

So today I bought The Ted Brown Sextet's Free Wheeling, featuring Warne Marsh and Art Pepper.

Listening right now, and as a Tristano aficionado from way back (1978/9 or so), all I can say is that this record is a little piece of heaven...

Stumbled across a a CD on my "very wanted" list at a used place in Boston today (on my way to the 30th Annual John Coltrane memorial Concert, a great Boston-area institution).

So today I bought The Ted Brown Sextet's Free Wheeling, featuring Warne Marsh and Art Pepper.

Listening right now, and as a Tristano aficionado from way back (1978/9 or so), all I can say is that this record is a little piece of heaven...

Now that's a good day!

Good going, papsrus. I'm a former student of Myra's, and I'm hoping to catch one of the release concerts for that one...

I love Melford's playing, and especially in combination with Ehrlich. The two of them flow together so effortlessly. Really gorgeous. Definitely one of the live performances I'd love to see.

:tup