• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a few CDs (as gifts):

Ella in Hollywood

Haden-Paredes Dialogues

Then for me:

Cal Tjader plays the Music of Mexico and Brazil

Curtis Counce Exploring the Future

I'm leaning towards a Integration by Amancio D'Silva, as well as Ghana Funk, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Cool cover art.

Sleeve notes aren't printed in very helpful (to the elderly) font and colour, but it looks like the painting is by Choco Diseno (with a tilde over the n).

Although I bought this from an Amazon UK seller, this one came from Argentina and was manufactured by Warner Argentina. Struth!

MG

Who's Concha Buika? A vocalist?

Yes - her parents were political exiles from Equatorial Guinea and she was born in Spain. She's absorbed Jazz, House, Flamenco and Pop music as well as the music her mum taught her from home and has put it together into a mainly flamenco-related music which is enormously powerful. She sings very emotionally; straight from the gut and real experience. Her records are some of the most exciting I've heard in years.

MG

PS Seeline can give you a good bit more on her - from a much deeper knowledge of the various Latin musics than I have. I only know how she makes me feel.

This kinda feels like stepping into a confession booth for me. ... Course, I've never actually been in a confession booth -- at least not when someone's been on the other side of the screen. In any case, over the past week or so:

Miff Mole -- "Slippin' Around, Vol. 1" (and "Slippin' Around Again Vol. 2," for which I can't find an image)

Clarence Williams -- "Shake 'Em Up"

Clarence Williams Jug & Washboard Bands -- "Whoop It Up! Volume 1: 1927-1929"

Muggsy Spanier -- "Great Original Performances (1931-1939)"

Johnny Dodds -- "Blue Clarinet Stomp"

"John Jenkins With Kenny Burrell"

51JLJlT0RzL._SY100_.jpg21KXMBBZ0BL._SX100_.jpg41mxGeSMPiL._SX100_.jpg

218SWEP9FHL._SY100_.jpg21SNRW70XDL._SY100_.jpg51yxo23RbKL._SY100_.jpg

and from sellers here at organissimo:

Anthony Braxton -- "In the Tradition, Vol. 1"

Anthony Braxton -- "In the Tradition, Vol. 2"

Herculaneum -- "Orange Blossom"

31015.jpg

21S6moTpBBL._SL500_AA170_.jpg

herculaneum.jpg

Edited by papsrus

A long day's shopping in Cardiff today (I ran out of CDs!!! Must get an ipod!) started by taking a long look through the second hand shop in the market. And I snagged this one, in perfick nick, for eight quid.

Buddy Tate - The Texas twister

410FKASQ6BL._SS500_.jpg

Flung it straight onto the turntable as soon as I got home. Woo, what a nice album!

The local dealer must do a fair bit of research - found a CD of it (didn't know it had come out on CD) on Amazon.uk for one penny less than I paid - but I didn't have to pay postage.

And when I got home, I found the postman had very kindly left me two CDs. This one

Kandia Kouyate - Ngara

51gnCBEJRBL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks to I forget whom for buying it himself and posting it here :) This is a compilation of her second LP plus some other live stuff done for radio, I think. There's another recently issued, which has her first LP (which I've already got) plus some more radio things. Will have to do a bit more research. Anyway, this is wonderful - much better than the albums she's been making with strings and stuff in the past decade.

MG

Oh, the other CD was something I hadn't ordered :(

MG

Mory Kante - Tamala le voyager - Next Music

41RT9BF7SFL._SS500_.jpg

Does this not work now?

MG

Al Cohn, Joe Newman & Freddie Greene (Mosaic Select)

MS027.jpg

Will clearly have to learn how to post images again! Guidance anyone?

You got two http:// in there.

MG

Thanks, MG. Got it sorted now! :)