What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the computer’s back from the menders.

Recent purchases, while I’ve been off-line have been:

B000E40Q60.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Strangely, the sleeve notes say this was recorded at the end of Jimmy Ponder’s “What’s New” session, but the date given is July 2000. “What’s new” was recorded on 5 August 2002! Ponder’s “Thumbs up” was recorded on 3 July 2000, but Ludwig isn’t on it, though Brooks was. “Double exposure” is a great album, though.

dtrcd1001.jpg

One my importer couldn’t get when it came out a year or so ago. Very nice stuff.

02966751712.jpg

Wonderful rare 70’s funk from a great, underrated, band. And is that a GREAAASSSSY sleeve or what!

B000000JEE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

More from Rev Gates, from 1-6 December 1926. This one includes the incredible sermon, “You’ve got to lay down and die some day” – “You, you, you policeman; arresting innocent people; you know you’ve got to lay down and die some day!” Some things never change.

MG

Just got Bobby Hutcherson's The Kicker----should have bought it years ago. An excellent album, one of those overlooked Blue Note gems. In this case, overlooked because unreleased for 36 years. Played it in tandem with Idle Moments last night.

Your post prompted me to pull this out again. I agree, nice album. It'll stay in rotation around here for a while.

Nicely programmed record. Love the ballad "Summer Nights." Someone I was talking to on the phone today heard me playing it in the background and commented on how nice it sounded.

Just arrived in the mail:

Bach: Six Suites for Solo Cello - Pieter Wispelwey (Channel Classics)

Fletcher Henderson and Louis Armstrong 1924/1925 (Timeless) Didn't realize when I ordered this that the tracks were edited and rearranged by John R.T. Davies to feature Louis - in some cases, editing two of Louis' solos to make one piece. Maybe it will turn out sounding ok - definitely a chance to hear Louis blow, anyway.

The Incredible String Band: 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion/The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Collector's Choice)

The Stuff that Dreams Are Made of (Yazoo) - 2 CD collection of 1920's/30's blues and country music. Includes 2 recently discovered Son House sides and a ton of material new to me. Also includes an R. Crumb cartoon that nails obsessive record collecting cold. (However, I graciously thank all of the obsessive record collectors who made this Yazoo collection possible.)

I'm looking forward to listening to all of these.

Just scored my first e-bay purchase/win - the Pete Johnson/Earl Hines/Teddy Bunn Mosaic lp.

Next - gotta find some way to transfer the music to CD. Otherwise, I'll just have to make do with staring at the 3 guys on the cover grinning at me... :g