Favorite alternate takes

DrJ

Posting about the two Vee Jay Mosaics, each of which feature a bunch of alternate takes that I find interesting in terms of solo differences, it got me thinking. What are some of your favorite alternate takes?

One that's fresh in my mind right now is the alt of "Arietis" from READY FOR FREDDIE, since I've been revisiting that one since the RVG hit the streets. While I can see why Lion went for the master he did because it's a little more technically polished, the alternate is actually a ton of fun to listen to and I find myself preferring it. The solos are just a little more "out on the edge," with some particularly jaw-dropping acrobatics from Freddie, and just LISTEN - I mean really LISTEN (David Sedaris fans will appreciate that little homage) - to what Elvin Jones is doing behind the first couple soloists, fan-friggin'-tastic and far more adventurous than what he does on the master (I almost wonder if Alfred thought it was too much and somehow disrupted the groove - which IT DON'T).

Edited by DrJ

“Right Now” Jackie McLean

“Mimosa” Herbie Hancock

“Downstairs Blues Upstairs” Sam Rivers (every one of ‘em!)

“Pinocchio” Miles Davis

“Flamenco Sketches” Miles Davis

“Smoke Stack” Johnny Griffin

“Know What I Mean” Cannonball Adderley

There’s more, I’m sure

“Right Now” Jackie McLean

“Mimosa” Herbie Hancock

These are two of my favorites, and here's another favorite:

Dizzy Gillespie - Con Alma ("Duets" album, with Sonny Stitt on this track)

The alternate has a much looser, more natural feel to it than the master take. I don't even listen to the master take any more. Sonny and Dizzy are excellent on this one. :tup

Some alternate takes that I found fascinating to listen to (don't know if I can say that they're "better" than the released takes - but I found them, as I say, fascinating listening):

The Complete Cecil Taylor/Buell Neidlinger Candid Recordings (Mosaic)

The unechoed Miles recordings for Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud

The alternate takes on the 3 CD Lee Konitz Motion set

The 2 volumes of Ornette's Golden Circle recordings - RVG CDs

Wilbur Harden/John Coltrane: The Complete Savoy Sessions

The fast alternate take of Davis' Hand Jive from the Nefertiti sessions.

You KNOW it!!!! All those alternates are sweet, and I especially like the slow take of "Madness!"

Noj named another one I like! Also like the alt. take of "Tequila" from the same session!

Some favourites have been mentioned (Mimosa, Ascenseur pour l'echafaud, the Coltrane Village Vanguard...), one more that comes to mind, rather, a bunch more: all the music from Bill Evans' Vanguard date with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian - I really couldn't say which version I'd prefer of which tune - I got to know it all together.

Then Bird's "Cheryl" - couldn't tell which of the two takes I would prefer.

ubu

all the music from Bill Evans' Vanguard date

Other than an intermission announcement and some idle chatter here & there...is there any reason to go after that Japanese 3-cd box? .....or is the Riverside box pretty much as good as it gets?

I did. I shouldn't!

What's on the Riverside box is just fine (I have the LPs one).

Edited by brownie

“Know What I Mean” Cannonball Adderley

Al, funny you mentioned this particular song, as I was thinking the same thing on Sat. night while replaying the two versions several times over on the Evans Riverside box. You're talking about take 7, right? :unsure:

I guess; whichever is the longer take of the two (don't have the disc in front of me).

Fascinating, if not quite up to the level of the master, are the three alternate takes of "Upstairs Blues Downstairs" from the Sam Rivers Mosaic box. Very revealing in terms of the development of a piece to the point where the tempo and feel become as close to perfect as you can get, after starting off lacking in both categories somewhat.