Billy Harper

Pim

I searched but couldn't find a threat dedicated to this tenor giant. I think he deserves one. Harper is one of my musical heroes. One who speaks directly into your soul. You could feel every single note. It's hard to describe but it's just there. I've got the same thing with John Coltrane and Mal Waldron. Harper seems to have peaked to late, when jazz was much in decline. But his '70's early 80's output remains his best imo. Those Black Saint, Denon, Baystate and MPS lp's and of course the stuff with Max Roach. 

This group man:

Still don't really know most of the personell from other works besides Harper but this was an excellent band. Harper managed to produce the finest jazz with relatively unknown and obscure bands. 

I'm a Billy Harper nearly completist. He is more easy to collect than Mal. I really enjoyed almost everything he has put out. And he is still with us of course :)

12 minutes ago, Pim said:

I searched but couldn't find a threat dedicated to this tenor giant. I think he deserves one. Harper is one of my musical heroes. One who speaks directly into your soul. You could feel every single note. It's hard to describe but it's just there. I've got the same thing with John Coltrane and Mal Waldron. Harper seems to have peaked to late, when jazz was much in decline. But his '70's early 80's output remains his best imo. Those Black Saint, Denon, Baystate and MPS lp's and of course the stuff with Max Roach. 

This group man:

Still don't really know most of the personell from other works besides Harper but this was an excellent band. Harper managed to produce the finest jazz with relatively unknown and obscure bands. 

I'm a Billy Harper nearly completist. He is more easy to collect than Mal. I really enjoyed almost everything he has put out. And he is still with us of course :)

I´m no completist of any musician but saw Billy Harper with Max Roach and also have an LP "Live in Amsterdam" . This group which had Billy Harper and Reggie Workman was the best . I didn´t like Odean Pope so much at first hearing for his almost bassoon like sound, and found Calvin Hill´s too amplified plastic sounding bass sound not so fine. The music had more "heart" with Billy Harper and Reggie Workman. 

I'm surprised -- but yeah, doesn't seem to be a thread here solely on this great tenor player and composer.

apart from the Cookers I am more familiar with his output from the 70s and early 80s. He was more popular in Japan and Europe than in the US for sure -- and unless I'm mistaken, the Strata-East LP was the only album he did for an American label until more recently. Like his music a lot -- powerful and full of heart, accessible but able to go into the outer reaches. I think the only vinyl release I am missing is the Poljazz set, which is somewhat challenging to track down these days.

I believe I have all of his leader sets in some form.  Can't speak highly enough of what his music means to me, and he has great personal dignity when you see him live.  Hearing "Capra Black" from that last Lee Morgan double album was a stunning experience for me, and I just played it over and over again 50 years ago,

28 minutes ago, felser said:

I believe I have all of his leader sets in some form.  Can't speak highly enough of what his music means to me, and he has great personal dignity when you see him live.  Hearing "Capra Black" from that last Lee Morgan double album was a stunning experience for me, and I just played it over and over again 50 years ago,

The Lee Morgan set is where I first became aware of him too. Mind-blowing performance!

I have quite a few recordings of BH as leader, old and new. Capra Black remains kind of a Holy Grail, have heard it only on Youtube and think it's his best, but recordings hard to find.

I saw BH live around 2016 or 17 (forget). Played great, exceptionally nice guy with impressive presence, incredible physical condition and appearance for his age.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'm surprised -- but yeah, doesn't seem to be a thread here solely on this great tenor player and composer.

apart from the Cookers I am more familiar with his output from the 70s and early 80s. He was more popular in Japan and Europe than in the US for sure -- and unless I'm mistaken, the Strata-East LP was the only album he did for an American label until more recently. Like his music a lot -- powerful and full of heart, accessible but able to go into the outer reaches. I think the only vinyl release I am missing is the Poljazz set, which is somewhat challenging to track down these days.

Yeah that’s the only one I miss too. Plus the DIW date but that’s the only Harper date I don’t really dig. 

The Japanese releases are my favorites: Knowledge of Self and Love on the Sudan especially. The recent Antibes live date on Sam records is also very good. 

50 minutes ago, felser said:

Yeah that opening solo is so powerful. A musical landmark on Blue Note I would say. I love that whole album by the way.

36 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I’m booked to see him with The Cookers in November. Last time I saw him was with Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell around 2016-ish. One of those players who always delivers, in performance.

Where do they perform? I don’t see any touring schedule on their website.

9 hours ago, Pim said:

Yeah that opening solo is so powerful. A musical landmark on Blue Note I would say. I love that whole album by the way.

I also love the album.  One of my very early jazz purchases (Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse was my first along with a Hancock Blue Note 2LP collection).

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Last time I saw him was with Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell around 2016-ish.

What?? I would have LOVED to see that!

Been a BIG Billy fan since I first saw him with Max in the late 70s. Probably seen him more than any other jazz musician - with his own groups, Randy Weston, and the Cookers.

15 minutes ago, BFrank said:

Been a BIG Billy fan since I first saw him with Max in the late 70s. Probably seen him more than any other jazz musician - with his own groups, Randy Weston, and the Cookers.

Sorry I never saw "The Cookers". Must be a gas to see them. 

My best memory of Billy Harper is is composition "Pieceful Heart". What rhythm, what time is that ? Must be hard to play.....

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

It was a Strata- East Tribute. Also performing were Cecil McBee, Jean Carne and Alvin Queen.

I previously saw The Cookers well over 5 years ago now. Also there that night was our late board member friend JohnS, who also thoroughly enjoyed it I think.

My previous Billy Harper appearance before that was in the 2000s with Charles Tolliver Big Band in London.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

The only time I've seen Harper. Thanks to Gilles Peterson who arranged the great night

I was wondering if I’d also seen him with Gil Evans in the early 1980s. Likely not - I think it was Don Weller covering the tenor chair.

My memory of that Strata-East night is that Charles Tolliver’s lip was a bit ‘iffy’ at times on the high stuff (totally understandable)  but Harper was absolutely on the ball. They also covered some nice Stanley Cowell tunes such as ‘Effi’ as well as Tolliver’s ‘Emperor March’. A memorable night. Jean Carne was good too on her numbers with the band.

Still need to frame up the souvenir poster. Very glad to have caught my only appearance by Stanley Cowell that night.

Edited by sidewinder

34 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I was wondering if I’d also seen him with Gil Evans in the early 1980s. Likely not - I think it was Don Weller covering the tenor chair.

My memory of that Strata-East night is that Charles Tolliver’s lip was a bit ‘iffy’ at times on the high stuff (totally understandable)  but Harper was absolutely on the ball. They also covered some nice Stanley Cowell tunes such as ‘Effi’ as well as Tolliver’s ‘Emperor March’. A memorable night. Jean Carne was good too on her numbers with the band.

Still need to frame up the souvenir poster. Very glad to have caught my only appearance by Stanley Cowell that night.

Wow that must have been one hell of a night. All musicians that I hold in very high regard.

21 minutes ago, Pim said:

Wow that must have been one hell of a night. All musicians that I hold in very high regard.

Yes it was - definitely a one-off. There had been increased interest in Strata-East, which no doubt was the reason for this concert and I recall it being a sell-out or near sell-out.

They also projected drawings of Strata-East cover art behind the musicians on the stage so you had art of stuff like the Dick Griffin and Mtume releases etc. as the music progressed, which was pretty cool. The poster I think was done by the guy who did these.

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I want to give a shout out to Francesca Tanksley, Harper's pianist of choice for the last 30 odd years.  Francesca is a great musician. 

Yeah she’s a very good pianist. Love here attributions on the Steeplechase records. A gifted musician and like many of Harper’s side(wo)men a little obscure.

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I think I remember hearing about that, and was sad that was a one-off ... and in London!

Would have loved to hear "Effi"