Helping Mosaic by Suggesting Artists and Sets, Part Deux

On 5/25/2024 at 3:12 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Fletcher Henderson, Bob Crosby, or Lionel Hampton's big band recordings.

Bob Crosby *has* been a strong possibility, but I haven’t asked Scott about it lately. There was a late 1940s/early 50s Ellington in the works that Sony greenlit and then pulled the plug on. Something similar happened to a proposed Benny Goodman 1940s Columbia small-groups set. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/25/2024 at 12:12 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Fletcher Henderson, Bob Crosby, or Lionel Hampton's big band recordings.

I asked Scott about a Lionel Hampton 40s Decca/MGM set some time back, and he gave me his usual, friendly, "we'll have to take a look at that" response. I'd still like to see it.

23 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

I asked Scott about a Lionel Hampton 40s Decca/MGM set some time back, and he gave me his usual, friendly, "we'll have to take a look at that" response. I'd still like to see it.

Me, too.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I'd be interested in a Melba Liston set if it were possible to come up with an organizing principle that made sense and fit the parameters of a Mosaic set.  Interesting figure.  The Randy Weston Mosaic is very nearly a Melba set.

There is only one lp - 8 titles under her name, as far as I know.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

On 6/30/2024 at 11:52 AM, Eric said:

Mine the Muse catalog:

Mickey Tucker

Bill Hardman

Junior Cook

Walter Bishop Jr.

Not “innovative” but so what.  Great playing and great tunes.

Agreed.  More Muse possibilities...

Charles Earland (those HTF 70's dates on Muse)

Clifford Jordan

Eric Kloss

Carlos Garnett

Jimmy Heath (add in Tootie's album)

Kenny Barron

Cedar Walton (70's)

Don Patterson

The Visitors

Joe Bonner

in several of these instances, they would need to do a "leader and sideman" set to make it of sufficient length, but those would be worthwhile configurations.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, king ubu said:

Just read about a 11 CD V-Disc set being scheduled for ca. fall... anybody know more?

Scott mentioned this project to me earlier in the year. I don’t know much in the way of details, except that it will focus exclusively on music that was specifically recorded for V-Disc distribution (as opposed to already-commercially recorded music that was then reissued on V-Disc). I’ve long wanted to do a Night Lights show about V-Discs and am eager to explore the in-depth collection that Mosaic’s assembling.

Prior to the forthcoming Mosaic, this was a decent overview that Jasmine put out:

71s4tsyRgeL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

20 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I think with Cuscuna's demise (may he rest in peace) and Scott's elevation, we'll see more pre-bop Mosaic releases.  I think that era is Scott's first love.

Fine with me! Really excited about the V-Disc set!

There was some "outrage" back in the day about anybody releasing V-Discs at all because of the terms agreed to in their creation - that they were intended strictly as a service to service members, to never be used for commercial purposes. I don't know that anybody got paid? Services were donated to support the war effort, and that was supposed to be the end of it.

Well, here we are! I'll still pre-order, but I do hope that the book tells the story of how these recordings went from being a sealed sacred text to serving as an unimpeded item of commerce.

Who's finally gotten paid? Anybody? Anything? Veterans?

I have no conscience, but I'd like to know anyway...

36 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I think with Cuscuna's demise (may he rest in peace) and Scott's elevation, we'll see more pre-bop Mosaic releases.  I think that era is Scott's first love.

What makes you think that? LOL!!!!

53 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There was some "outrage" back in the day about anybody releasing V-Discs at all because of the terms agreed to in their creation - that they were intended strictly as a service to service members, to never be used for commercial purposes.

"The records were to be destroyed after the war but many of them survived."

https://archive.org/details/V-discs1-991943-1944

43 minutes ago, gvopedz said:

Thanks for that link!  They actually have what appears to be all  900 odd V-disc selections if you follow the links on the left once you reach the page.

20 hours ago, gvopedz said:

Yes, thanks very much for this link! I knew of V-Discs but had no idea how many there were or the breadth of material. I am even more excited about this set now and will definitely pre-order.