Saxophone - Drums Duo Recordings

Peter

Larry Ochs did a session a few years ago on Black Saint.  I think it's called Saxophone and Drum Corps.   It's saxophone (alto and c-melody I believe) with two drummers.  It's very good!

The exact title of the session is LARRY OCHS SAX & DRUMMING CORE (name of the band) THE NEON TRUTH (title of the record).

LARRY OCHS plays tenor & sopranino saxes. The drummers are DONALD ROBINSON & SCOTT AMENDOLA.

It's from 2002, on Black Saint, indeed.

Edited by P.L.M

... a favorite is Rollins and PJJ doing "Furry with the Syringe on Top"...

Chuck is it a nice poetic way to formulate the title of this song or a split of tongue of some sort? (the title of this tune from the SONNY ROLLINS NEWK'S TIME is THE SURREY WITH THE FRINGE ON TOP.)

Some more recommandations.

THE NEXTSPIRITMENTAL MUSICS OF SAXOPHONIST DAVID BOYKIN (DREAMTIME RECORDS) offers a serie of duets between the tenor saxophoniste from Chicago and BAKARI DAVIS on drums and percussion in the tradition of the GREAT BLACK MUSIC initiate by the AACM.

If you like ARCHIE SHEPP, this one is for you.

You can also try:

SUZIE IBARRA/ ASSIF TSAHAR: HOME COOKING (HOPSCOTCH)

HAMID DRAKE/ JOE McPHEE: EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION (A REAL STATEMENT OF FREEDOM) (OKKADISK)

JOE McPHEE/ JOHNNY McLELLAN: GRAND MARQUIS (BOXHOLDER) (An absolute masterpiece!!!)

RASHIED ALI/ LOUIE BELOGENIS: RINGS OF SATURN (KNITTING FACTORY) who is a direct "hommage" to COLTRANE by the disciple and a great but much underestimate coltranite.

If you want to take the hard way, look for both of these:

PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE/ MATS GUSTAFSSON: I LOVE IT WHEN YOU SNORE (SMALLTOWN SUPERSOUND)

IVO PERELMAN/ JAY ROSEN: THE HAMMER (LEO RECORDS)

Edited by P.L.M

And, if you want to try one more record with a sax and two drummers beside OCHS & DRUMMING CORE, there's always KEN VANDERMARK'S SOUND IN ACTION: DESIGN IN TIME (DELMARK).

It's one of the best records of VANDERMARK who confront here ROBERT BARRY (original drummer of SUN RA'S ARKESTRA) and TIM MULVENNA.

11 pieces split between originals and modern classics from ORNETTE COLEMAN, SUN RA, ALBERT AYLER, DON CHERRY, THELONIOUS MONK.

Edited by P.L.M

Chuck is it a nice poetic way to formulate the title of this song or a split of tongue of some sort? (the title of this tune from the SONNY ROLLINS NEWK'S TIME is THE SURREY WITH THE FRINGE ON TOP.)

I thought Chuck's interpretation was rather funny... :g

... there's always KEN VANDERMARK'S SOUND IN ACTION/ DESIGN TIME (DELMARK).

It's one of the best records of VANDERMARK who confront here ROBERT BARRY (original drummer of SUN RA'S ARKESTRA) and TIM MULVENNA.

11 pieces split between originals and modern classics from ORNETTE COLEMAN, SUN RA, ALBERT AYLER, DON CHERRY, THELONIOUS MONK.

I like this one!

How about Braxton/Max Roach? I only have one HatART disc, and, as so often, long time no listen

ubu

I thought Chuck's interpretation was rather funny... :g

Me too.

How about Braxton/Max Roach? I only have one HatART disc, and, as so often, long time no listen

ubu

Yeah, BIRTH AND REBIRTH (on BLACK SAINT) is a magisterial record, as is the follow up on hat ART (long out of print).

But the guy was asking for duets between tenor and drums. So I kept it that way.

Edited by P.L.M

But the guy was asking for duets between tenor and drums. So I kept it that way.

I believe the original request was just for saxophone/drums recommendations.

Anyway:

Max Roach/Archie Shepp: Force (Uniteledis) - France and (JVC) - Japan

Frank Lowe/Phillip Wilson: Out of Nowhere (Ecstatic Peace) - one sided 12" EP

And, I've just listened to two duets by Ed Blackwell and Charles Brackeen on Live from Soundscape - Hell's Kitchen (DIW)

All three recommended. I guess that's probably taken for granted. I can't imagine that someone would list something they didn't like.