Jazz from Latin America, 1960s-80s

Rabshakeh

I recently listened to this excellent record, based off an Instagram post:R-4477251-1379470320-4140.jpg.07aa755f86b855c65364b84ed40be65a.jpg

It is an electric post bop / fusion record by Argentine musicians from 1972, that moves either side of the In A Silent Way marker. Not dissimilar to other excellent examples that came out of Germany, the UK and Japan around the same time. It is very good, and worth streaming if you haven't heard if.

Most of my exposure to jazz from Central and South America comes from the artists who emigrated, like Deodato or Gato Barbieri, but there were presumably fertile local scenes that continued.

Does anyone know anything about jazz during this period in Latin America (presumably Brazil and Argentina were the largest scenes?) or have any albums to recommend?

Edited by Rabshakeh

I really like this Brazilian band:

@Rabshakeh, the YouTuber who posted this video, pimalves, has many other Brazilian/Latin American albums on their channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@adamalvespin/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Lots of stuff to explore there!  

Another thought: If you like Airto Moreira's music, he produced two albums for the Uruguayan band Opa.  (Several of the Opa band members also played in Airto's band Fingers.) 

The two Airto-produced Opa albums were made for Milestone: Goldenwings (1976) and Magic Time (1977). Both were released on a single CD, and I'd definitely recommend it -- especially if you enjoy Airto's sort of Brazilian/pan-Latin fusion.

On 11/18/2022 at 11:10 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Does anyone know anything about jazz during this period in Latin America (presumably Brazil and Argentina were the largest scenes?) or have any albums to recommend?

Rab - When you say "Latin America," are you specifically interested in Central & South American artists & bands? 

Or were you also interested in the Caribbean? 

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I really like this Brazilian band:

@Rabshakeh, the YouTuber who posted this video, pimalves, has many other Brazilian/Latin American albums on their channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@adamalvespin/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Lots of stuff to explore there!  

Another thought: If you like Airto Moreira's music, he produced two albums for the Uruguayan band Opa.  (Several of the Opa band members also played in Airto's band Fingers.) 

The two Airto-produced Opa albums were made for Milestone: Goldenwings (1976) and Magic Time (1977). Both were released on a single CD, and I'd definitely recommend it -- especially if you enjoy Airto's sort of Brazilian/pan-Latin fusion.

Thanks! I know the first Opa but not the second. That YT stream looks great too.

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Rab - When you say "Latin America," are you specifically interested in Central & South American artists & bands? 

Or were you also interested in the Caribbean? 

I meant Central and Southern - I was trying to find a way to include Brazil. Cuba in particular is, I think, a better explored area than the other local scenes, although any recommendations still appreciated.

• 8 months later...