Which Mosaics probably don’t sell too well?

Another thing it the VeeJay sets are not running low or something but the licencing expires this year so they are going to be OOP at the end of the year no matter how many set's are left in Stamford. These 2 sets are the best sounding VeeJay material I've ever heard (the music isn't bad either!!!!!). Grab them while you can I would say.

OH NO - Im really trying to cut down on my buying at the moment . Do I wait till they are running low & risk a Stuff Smith type of error or shall I just get them now ??? Decisions decisions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reinier:

Another thing it the VeeJay sets are not running low or something but the licencing expires this year so they are going to be OOP at the end of the year no matter how many set's are left in Stamford. These 2 sets are the best sounding VeeJay material I've ever heard (the music isn't bad either!!!!!). Grab them while you can I would say.

Can you elaborate a bit on this - where did you get your info? Is it straight from Mosaic or is this well-informed speculation? It's an important distinction to me, because if you have it from Mosaic that this is the case, I will be pulling the trigger on the VeeJay sets very soon. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Reinier:

Can you elaborate a bit on this - where did you get your info? Is it straight from Mosaic or is this well-informed speculation? It's an important distinction to me, because if you have it from Mosaic that this is the case, I will be pulling the trigger on the VeeJay sets very soon. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Same here.

Please tell us more, Reinier!

ubu

great to know you all don't believe me on my word!!! I knew this was a great place to write......

Cheers,

Reinier

No need to get upset, I'm occasionally asking Mosaic questions and this happened to be one of them.

Hm, I wonder why I'm defending myself here - there's no need for that either... :P

OK......

I was at Mosaic's last week and the info is straight from the man himself (MC).

Is that proof enough??????

Cheers,

Reinier

:tup

thanks, Reinier! No offense intended!

It's just that if someone posts some information here, people (and me, too) want to know its origin. That's not personal at all.

ubu

I continue to not purchase the Vee Jay sets due to great number of alternate takes. I hope I don't wait too long.

As well...

so Reinier, and i will take your word, on a scale of say one to ten how much better is the VeeJay set of Shorter/Morgan than the old (and illegal) Blue Moons??

The question wasn't addressed to me, but from what I've heard, I'd say night and day. The Mosaic sets were remastered by Malcolm Addey, and that says it all in my opinion.

What Hans said combined with the fact these Mosaic sets are the first(!!) CD issues which use the original master tapes. MC flew to a doggy storeage house near Chicago to get them and bring back to Malcolm who did his usual mastering wonders from the 2 track and 3 track tapes.

Yes even the Japanese 24 Bit issues are NOT from the real tapes but DAT copies made long ago!

Although these Japanese CD sound much finer than the Blue Moon issues the Mosaic smokes them all.

The alternates are a PITA but you can always program your player to avoid duplication.

Cheers,

Reinier

What Hans said combined with the fact these Mosaic sets are the first(!!) CD issues which use the original master tapes. MC flew to a doggy storeage house near Chicago to get them and bring back to Malcolm who did his usual mastering wonders from the 2 track and 3 track tapes.

Yes even the Japanese 24 Bit issues are NOT from the real tapes but DAT copies made long ago!

Although these Japanese CD sound much finer than the Blue Moon issues the Mosaic smokes them all.

The alternates are a PITA but you can always program your player to avoid duplication.

Cheers,

Reinier

Reinier, thanks a lot for this insight!

I will definitely put these two on my list!

And again: no offense intended!

ubu

It will be interesting to see, after the posts on this board regarding the Vee Jay sets… if Mosaic sells more of the boxes, for the rest of this year, than they predicted. Unfortunately, we will most probably never have access to the information.

I do know that we, on this board, will be first to be informed when the sets are moved to the Last Chance category.

It's also true the Shorty Rogers Atlantic etc. was a low sale set. Strange since it's great music and not otherwise available (then).

It is interesting that both the Shorty Rogers and the Buddy DeFranco sets usually go for about $50-$65 for each CD when sold on Ebay....!!! These are obviously among the most desireable Mosaic sets for late comers.. I have both sets on LP ... a kind member here made me a CDR set of the DeFranco ... I am still trying to find someone to trade my LP set of the Rogers for a CD set!

Garth.

Vee Jay Mosaics

Quote from Scott of Mosaic

That is correct. They'll be in our next catalog as running low. It is soon,

but that's the way the licensing agreement worked out.

Darn! and I was targeting to get them in Jan '05. Looks like got to order them soon.

Quote from Scott of Mosaic

That is correct. They'll be in our next catalog as running low. It is soon,

but that's the way the licensing agreement worked out.

Thanks LAL, for the Mosaic Vee Jay information.

I'm hoping, when the Running Low time arrives, we can get some numbers from Mosaic to say how many sets are remaining (as Mosaic usually offers this infomation if asked).

OK, here's one. Just yesterday I received the Kid Ory set. I was surprised to see a number in the mid-600s (0658, I think) on the inside cover. I also just noticed there's an Ory set on eBay currently with an edition number in the 300s. This set has been around for at least four years. If these numbers are even close to being representative, this must be a *really* slow seller. Anyone else out there have this one?