ORNETTE COLEMAN - ROUND TRIP: ORNETTE COLEMAN ON BLUE NOTE

dougcrates

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/18/2024 at 9:17 AM, colinmce said:

Lots of discussion about the Blue Note version of Town Hall, and the status of the acetates. Both LPs have been posted in full on YouTube. This is record 1, side A. The other 3 sides can be found on the account page:

Wow, great to finally hear that. Some top-notch Ornette and wonderful to finally hear Izenson's "Taurus." Too bad ESP got involved as that would have been a fine pair of LPs. "Story Teller" got named "Doughnut" on the ESP release, while "Doughnut" matches up with the tune recorded as "Doughnuts" elsewhere.

Yeah, correct. But Ornette brought only one tape to ESP, not both (or all three, who knows?), so what was on that reel was what they released.

Stollman was acting as Ornette's lawyer/representative at that time, and I think the LP release was in lieu of payment for services rendered to Coleman. Probably made more money with the record than he would've gotten in legal fees anyway.

I like both the ESP album and the BN albums. I don´t remember exactly what it was. I think I have :

- Golden Circle Vol. I, Vol. II
- Empty Foxhole (actually my FIRST LP of Ornette Coleman !) 
- Love Cry
- New York is Now 

- and of course the one where he is a sideman on tp for Jackie McLean....

It´s strange that the only Coleman other than "Dancing in the Head" that I saw then, was the Empty Foxhole. 

I´m more interested in the music itself then if Townhall was published by BN or ESP, the music counts that´s all.....

I think, that BN had certain demands, that indifferent how far they might go out they still had to get points where they just swing straight ahead. 
So on each Ornette Coleman LP for BN there is a lot of straight ahead swing, maybe Alfred Lion thought otherwise it would not sell.
And I must admit myself, that at the time I got into Free Jazz, those passages where they all "swing" helped me to find a line to the whole further out stuff. 
This happens with Mingus, it happened with all Free Jazzers who came after him. At least at the beginning. 
Now if I listen to a so called "Free Jazz album" I find my way also without a swing line in it...

Compare the BN´s with the Impulse records Ornette made about the same time (Crisis and Ornette at 12) which are more fare out than the swinging BN´s .

On 9/19/2024 at 11:45 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, though I doubt it would be of a releasable quality.

I just want them to listen to at home. I would be happy to buy an official release, but it does not look like that is ever going to happen. Still not clear if the Master Tape still exists and who would have it.