Backdoor into Allmusic Guide - W/ AUDIO-SAMPLES!!

Rooster_Ties

NOTE: This post is pretty much "stream of thought" -- warts and all. I was trying to get this info down quickly, before it disappeared.

Scroll down for the links into the AMG where you can hear audio-samples.

====================================

Take a look quick, cuz I'm seeing some "behind the scenes" testing info on each page too, so my guess is they've maybe accidentally released the beta-testing version of this to their production servers??? Or, maybe they just forgot to take out the display of the testing variables on the version that's live in production.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about (as far as the 'testing-variables-thing' goes)...

Writer Link ID: (For Writer:amg) Already Assigned!

sql=A9a9sa9qgw23d

...is displayed at the top of each page for a specific review or specific artist bio.

They also have "song highlights" listed way up top in the artist bios, with the sound-sample buttons. Here are the "song highlights" (all with audio samples) for Charles Tolliver...

Effi from Live in Tokyo 

Impact from Impact 

Orientale from Live at Slugs, Vol. 1 

Mournin' Variations from Impact 

On the Nile from Music, Inc. Big Band 

Ruthie's Heart from Music, Inc. Big Band 

Grand Max from Impact 

Plight from Impact 

Brilliant Corners from New Wave in Jazz 

Lynnsome from Impact 

Mother Wit from Impact 

Truth from Live in Tokyo 

Felicite from Live at Slugs, Vol. 1 

Spannng from Live at Slugs, Vol. 1 

'Round Midnight from Live in Tokyo 

Peace With Myself from Ballads for Trumpet 

Wilpan's from Live at Slugs, Vol. 1 

Stretch from Live in Tokyo 

Drought from Live in Tokyo 

Our Second Father from Live at Slugs, Vol. 1 

Ringer from Ringer

SHIT, quick as that, and it's gone again!!!! - before I can even post this thread. It's like it was there for only two minutes.

Like I just said, I think this was a goof-up on their part, turning on a feature that they're going to release publicly in the future, but not now.

For the record, they had sound samples for several out-of-print CD's too. I tested it by looking up Curtis Amy's OOP Pacific Jazz title.

Wait, it's either back on again... -- or the URL's are different (with different variable settings being sent back) when viewing the pages with the sound samples. Here are the links that are in my browser cash. Don't know if they'll work for anybody else, but it's worth a try...

Link: Charles Tolliver (general bio)

Link: Music, Inc. Big Band

Link: Live at Slugs, Vol. 1

Link: Live in Tokyo

Link: Impact

OK, OK, I see that once your "in" to their page with the "audio sample" options turned on, you can browse around their whole site, and get more "audio sample" pages, even though they seem to have this turned off if you go in "the front door".

Click on any of the links above, and use that as your entry into the AMG, and you can look up other artists, and see their pages and reviews with the "audio sample" feature turned ON.

I just tried looking up Lee Morgan from one of the Tolliver pages, and I got a whole bunch of audio samples for Lee. They come up on the "review" pages too, including an OOP title like "City Lights".

But I tried going to the AMG in another browser, fresh and new -- and no audio.

Have fun people!!! Go see what you can find audio-samples of CD's that are OOP, that you've always been curious about hearing. I'm off to do this myself. (FYI, it probably only works for domestically released OOP titles -- nothin' for any of the TOCJ-only titles I looked up, like Tyrone Washington's lone BN disc.)

For those who give a hoot about this stuff, I see the letters "samples=1" in the URL's of those Tolliver links above. I think that's the key to turning on the audio. I see another phrase "&sql=Bu9g9kemtjq7m" - which is why we're seeing the variables displayed.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yeah, that is a riot! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer Link ID: (For Writer:amg)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kenny Dorham

AKA born: McKinley Howard Dorham

Born Aug 30, 1924 in Fairfield, TX

Died Dec 5, 1972 in New York, NY

Years Active

Genres Jazz

Styles Hard Bop, Latin Continuum

Instruments Trumpet

Tones Elegant, Sophisticated, Earthy

Labels Blue Note (11), Steeplechase (3), Riverside/OJC (3), Prestige (3), Jazzland (3), Xanadu (2), Westwind (2)

See Also Kenny Dorham Quartet Kenny Dorham Quintet All Movie Guide Entry

Product Purchase Click here to buy sheet music

Song Highlights

Osmosis from Kenny Dorham Quintet

Whistle Stop from Whistle Stop

Matador from Matador/Inta Somethin'

Una Mas (One More Time) from Una Mas

Lotus Flower from Afro-Cuban

'Round About Midnight from 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia, Vols.

Hill's Edge from 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia

Trompeta Toccata from Trompeta Toccata

K.D.'s Blues from 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia

Minor's Holiday from Afro-Cuban

Royal Roost from 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia

Monaco from 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia, Vols.

Villa from Afro-Cuban

Smile from Matador/Inta Somethin'

Lotus Blossom from Quiet Kenny

Afrodisia from Afro-Cuban

Buffalo from Whistle Stop

Night in Tunisia from 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia

Be My Love from Kenny Dorham Quintet

Lover Man from Matador/Inta Somethin'

Sunrise in Mexico from Whistle Stop

Prophet from 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia

I Remember Clifford from Kenny Dorham Sings and Plays: This Is the Moment!

Darn That Dream from Kenny Dorham Quintet

Basheer's Dream from Afro-Cuban

Blue Bossa from Best of Kenny Dorham: Blue Note Years

Alone Together from Quiet Kenny

To my surprise, they even have audio-samples for a FRESH-SOUND title like Jack Wilson's Ramblin'. (Nothing from Wilson's "Eastern Winds" - which is really what I was looking for by going to the Jack Wilson bio.)

Man, this will be a LOT easier than trying to hunt down audio-samples from dozens of sites like Amazon, Tower, BN, or even things like the Fresh Sounds site (does their site even have samples??)

This will make purchasing on eBay MUCH simpler, if you can quickly find audio-samples of what you're wanting to bid on (for OOP CD's)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Man, this is THE quickest way I've ever seen to actually HEAR sampes of albums with your favorite sidemen on it.

I just listened to samples of three albums with Charles Tolliver on them (but where he wasn't the leader), that I've never heard before. I was NEVER gonna take the time to search through on-line music-store after music-store for some of those titles, looking for audio-samples.

It appears that most of the "Strata East" discs that have been released on CD all have audio-samples on the AMG.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Make that the "Charley" Strata East releases. None of the earlier German-only Strata titles have audio (Billy Harper's Capra Black came to mind).

BUT, they did have samples for this - which I would have never expected...

g02922dz5c6.jpg

The label is "EPM Musique" and/or "Marge" --- and I would have never guessed they'd have had audio-samples for this one.

I've gotta get some work done today, but I just noticed one other thing...

They've got the sound-sample buttons on the page with every version of particular song that the AMG knows about.

Type in "Giant Steps", click the "song" radio-button (instead of the default "artist"), and you get 243 separate entries for "Giant Steps".

Probably 100 or more of them aren't versions recorded by Coltrane, and maybe half of those (maybe more???) have sound-samples ---> and the audio-sample button is right there in the page with the listing of the 243 versions.

Man, even with the AMG's warts and all (incorrect data, incomplete data, etc...), this is still some mighty powerful stuff. B)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

For the non-computer savvy (me), what software is being used for their sound samples? I just tried to listen to some of the new Dexter CD on Steeplechase ("Loose Walk"), and I couldn't get it to work. I'm on a Mac, with Real Player and Quicktime...

Not sure. The file extension appears to be ".asx". Plays on my Windows Medio Player just fine.

On a side note -- there are audio-samples of EVERY track of the Mosaic Selects. Not just the three tracks they give you on the Mosaic site, but every track!!! B) B) B)

Also, sound samples of every track on some of the regular Mosaics. The Elvin Jones set does have sound-samples for every track, the Stanley Turrentine doesn't. (Haven't checked any others yet.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

A few OOP BN titles, and OOP Mosaics too -- with audio-samples (of every track, in the case of the Sam Rivers)...

f41038hbo58.jpge89190y4z1m.jpg

I know, many of us already have these things in our collections.

My point is that not everyone does, and these are all representive of the kinds of things that might have audio-samples in the AMG (at least in the future, since this backdoor thing might not last) ----> especially for those of us looking for OOP stuff on-line, on eBay, and half.com, and such.

In the last hour, I've heard samples of half-a-dozen OOP titles I would have never bought without hearing first, but now I'm sure gonna keep my eyes out for them.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Writer Link ID: (For Writer:amg) Already Assigned!

sql=A9a9sa9qgw23d

...is displayed at the top of each page for a specific review or specific artist bio.

You stumbled upon the contributors' version of AMG. In order to find out if someone has already "called dibs" on a title we (the writers) need to check here first and then submit a formal request to our respective editor if it appears to be as yet unclaimed. You shouldn't gain any more access to the site (save for whether or not a listing has been already assigned or not). Reviews that were wtitten years ago have this same tag.

I began at AMG almost four years ago. They added this format in something like the winter of 2002. So it ain't nothing new.

No idea. I haven't been keeping up with AMG lately, to be quite honest. So the sound samples were news to me. I imagine that, since they all have to be licensed, they will stick largely to in-print material. Not sure why a label would grant access to material that they can no longer profit from. I'm not speaking to the grand scheme of ethics/art here ("fair use", etc.). Just being practical. Does Tower or Amazon provide sound clips of OOP titles? My gues is no but I don't really know because I seldom look at those sites. If they do my guess is that it is less a concious effort to provide that service to their use base and more a result of simply forgetting it's there. I mean, they're much more worried about new stuff.

I just noticed that Rivers, Taylor, and such. Weird. I have no idea what's going on. One would have to assume that Capitol and Mosaic (respectively) were contacted but if AMG does not plan on profitting from this service and if they keep their clips down below a certain amount of time then I believe that they can indeed claim "fair use". This is the only explanation I can think of for the inclusion OOP material.

Again, I dunno......

so why don't these stupid samples work for couw? I have the latest this and the latest version of that, still: no go.

CRASH: shall I send a protocol and all the rest of your personal data? no thank you Bill.... <_<

Is it me, or my firewall, or my love for Opera (don't work with IE either), what?

so why don't these stupid samples work for couw? I have the latest this and the latest version of that, still: no go.

CRASH: shall I send a protocol and all the rest of your personal data? no thank you Bill.... <_<

Is it me, or my firewall, or my love for Opera (don't work with IE either), what?

If you ask me, this is largely because Windows Media Player stinks. They should have used Real Player. It sounds just as crappy as Real Player but crosses more platforms and has fewer bugs. Quicktime sounds better but.....then we get into Apple and that messes some people up.

Not me. :g

Told my firewall the same; still no clips. I have the same problem with the clips from B&N BTW. Other sites with MediaPlayer clips don't cause any problems. It's probably a combination of this and that and whatnot, yet I think it is rather stupid if it doesn't work for a certain number of set ups. It's like those sites that use illegal java scripts and only work with IExplorer. Granted, 80% of the world uses IE, but I'm with the other 20% :rmad: