Upcoming MOSAICS (resuming)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the plot continues to thicken. As I mentioned, I had originally checked my order status at CDUniverse to find that the Jazztet item was listed as "no longer available" and so figured my order was cancelled. Then a couple days back I get an e-mail saying it shipped and that it was a single CD. It arrives today and...it's the FULL SET! Most bizarre, but a fortunate turn of events! Thanks Clunky for putting me on to this opportunity.

Score! That's awesome, Dr. J. Give your thoughts on the set as a whole once you've listened to it. It's on my Mosaics to get eventually list.

WOW...CD Universe lied to me.

What a great outfit they are. With your post in mind, I just went and had a look at my order history to double-check on the 'Jazztet' order/cancellation 'dance' that I went through with their customer servive reps 2 months ago....and the only previous orders that are listed are ones from a few years ago, including one for 10 items that was apparently shipped. Problem is, it wasn't an order I ever placed. No way there would have been a bunch of Jimmy Smith cds in one of my orders... no way! :tdown

Order Status

Order#: 10449133

Order Date: Nov 23, 2004 09:50 AM EST

Ship Method: Standard

Ship Address:

Order Status: Processing

We are working on getting all of the items on your order ready to ship.

Ordered Items

Config Ord Ship Artist / Title Price Detail Status

CD 1 0 Complete Verve Sessions by Jaz $16.79 Backorder

Our supplier has run out of the items flagged as "backorder". We will continue to try to get these items for you and ship them as soon as we receive them. Some backorders come in the very next day, some never come in.

After 1/7/2005 backordered items will be automatically cancelled. You can cancel backorders yourself by clicking the Order Status link on our home page."

Thank you for shopping at CD Universe!

• 1 month later...

Here´s an update, according to Jazzmatazz, as of 8 January 2005

Various Artists - Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions (1953-1962) - 8 CDs (Mosaic Records 228) Jan

— 1950s recordings by Illinois Jacquet, Buck Clayton, Ruby Braff, Herb Ellis, Ben Webster, and Coleman Hawkins

— albums included (and original label): Ruby Braff All Stars (Philips), Buck Clayton & Marlowe Morris Trio (Epic), Ruby Braff/Braff!! (Epic), Marlowe Morris Quintet/Play the Thing (Columbia), Buck Clayton, Ada Moore & Jimmy Rushing/Cat Meets Chick (Columbia), Buck Clayton Special (Philips), Buck Clayton/Songs For Swingers (Columbia), Coleman Hawkins & Clark Terry/Back in Bean's Bag (Columbia), Ben Webster & Sweets Edison/Ben & Sweets (Columbia), Illinois Jacquet (Epic), Herb Ellis/The Midnight Roll (Epic), Kenny Burrell/Bluesin' Around (Columbia)

— includes 21 previously unissued performances; set remastered by Malcolm Addey

— booklet features essay and session notes by Richard M. Sudhalter, full discography and rare photos

Andrew Hill - Mosaic Select (Mosaic) Feb/Mar

— the remaining five Blue Note sessions by the pianist/composer that were wholly or partially unissued; (25 of the 31 tracks are released for the first time); 1967-1970; sidmen include Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Carlos Garnet, Bennie Maupin, Woody Shaw and Charles Tolliver; remastered by Malcolm Addey

Art Pepper - Mosaic Select (Mosaic) Feb/Mar

— four sessions that this master alto saxophonist made for Aladdin in 1956 & 57 with Jack Sheldon, Russ Freeman, Jimmy Rowles and Carl Perkins among the sidemen; a Pacific Jazz session by Bill Perkins and Pepper is also included; all newly transferred by Malcolm Addey from the original analog tapes in 24-bit for greatly improved sound.

Count Basie - The Complete Clef, Mercury and Verve Studio Recordings of Count Basie and his Orchestra (1952-1957) - 8 CD box set (Mosaic 229) April

— the 1952-57 Mercury, Clef and Verve studio recordings; one previously unissued tune and six previously unissued alternates

— includes the albums "April and Paris" and "Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings" as well as the 1956 Metronome All Star album with Ella Fitzgerald

The Jazz Crusaders - The Pacific Jazz Studio Sessions (Mosaic) late 2005

Johnny Richards - Mosaic Select - 3 CDs (Mosaic)

— his Roulette ('The Rites of Diablo', 'My Fair Lady', 'Aqui Se Habla Espanol')

and Capitol ('Wide Range' and 'Experiment in Sound') albums

Freddie Slack - Mosaic Select - 3 CDs (Mosaic)

Gerry Mulligan - Songbooks - 4 CDs (Mosaic Select) — remastered from rediscovered stereo tapes

— includes unissued "Stringtime" tracks

Benny Goodman - Columbia Records - nn CDs (Mosaic) — time period TBD

McCoy Tyner - Blue Note Sessions (Mosaic)

Various Artists - Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Trio Sessions (Mosaic) 2005

— trio sessions by Clare Fischer, Jimmy Rowles, Russ Freeman and Richard Twardzik

Various Artists - Capitol Big Band Sessions (Mosaic) (doubtful)

Erroll Garner - Columbia Sessions (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

Various Artists - The Complete Keynote Recordings (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

I wonder what ever happened to the Willie "the Lion" Smith that was mentioned a couple of years ago on the old Verve board. I remember there was a lot of complaints about Verve's refusal to lease material to Mosaic at that time. Seemed like every one of the suggestions was met with a "we have plans for a box of our own" type of response from chief cook and bottle washer Mark@verve. Didn't he mention that Verve had agreed to lease some Willie "the Lion" Smith material to Mosaic - or am I hallucinating again? :wacko:

Thankfully, Verve (or UMG) has re-thought that stance and we've been seeing some great sets recently. :tup

I just love a shallenge

Sounds like P.D.'s already enjoying Happy Hour. :rolleyes:

Nope... single finger typing and worn out letters on the keys

I shall not correct the above.........

That's what I figured. It's just that when I first read it, I was hearing the word "shallenge" pronounced in my head the way it was spelled. :D

Gerry Mulligan - Songbooks - 4 CDs (Mosaic Select) — remastered from rediscovered stereo tapes

A Select with 4 CDs? Can this be right?

The exception proves the rule...

I still have to see it to believe it. I seem to recall they marketed this series as only going to be 3 discs.

PS-Not that I'm complaining. ;)

Edited by dsgtrane

They could fit as many as six CDs in the same size package.  ^_^

Then what would be the distinction between a 6-, or even 4-, CD Select and a regular Mosaic box? The purported "completeness" of the contents? Or just the size of the box? And does SIZE really matter??? :blink:

Here´s an update, according to Jazzmatazz, as of 8 January 2005

Various Artists - Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions (1953-1962) - 8 CDs (Mosaic Records 228) Jan

— 1950s recordings by Illinois Jacquet, Buck Clayton, Ruby Braff, Herb Ellis, Ben Webster, and Coleman Hawkins

— albums included (and original label): Ruby Braff All Stars (Philips), Buck Clayton & Marlowe Morris Trio (Epic), Ruby Braff/Braff!! (Epic), Marlowe Morris Quintet/Play the Thing (Columbia), Buck Clayton, Ada Moore & Jimmy Rushing/Cat Meets Chick (Columbia), Buck Clayton Special (Philips), Buck Clayton/Songs For Swingers (Columbia), Coleman Hawkins & Clark Terry/Back in Bean's Bag (Columbia), Ben Webster & Sweets Edison/Ben & Sweets (Columbia), Illinois Jacquet (Epic), Herb Ellis/The Midnight Roll (Epic), Kenny Burrell/Bluesin' Around (Columbia)

— includes 21 previously unissued performances; set remastered by Malcolm Addey

— booklet features essay and session notes by Richard M. Sudhalter, full discography and rare photos

Andrew Hill - Mosaic Select (Mosaic) Feb/Mar

— the remaining five Blue Note sessions by the pianist/composer that were wholly or partially unissued; (25 of the 31 tracks are released for the first time); 1967-1970; sidmen include Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Carlos Garnet, Bennie Maupin, Woody Shaw and Charles Tolliver; remastered by Malcolm Addey

Art Pepper - Mosaic Select (Mosaic) Feb/Mar

— four sessions that this master alto saxophonist made for Aladdin in 1956 & 57 with Jack Sheldon, Russ Freeman, Jimmy Rowles and Carl Perkins among the sidemen; a Pacific Jazz session by Bill Perkins and Pepper is also included; all newly transferred by Malcolm Addey from the original analog tapes in 24-bit for greatly improved sound.

Count Basie - The Complete Clef, Mercury and Verve Studio Recordings of Count Basie and his Orchestra (1952-1957) - 8 CD box set (Mosaic 229) April

— the 1952-57 Mercury, Clef and Verve studio recordings; one previously unissued tune and six previously unissued alternates

— includes the albums "April and Paris" and "Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings" as well as the 1956 Metronome All Star album with Ella Fitzgerald

The Jazz Crusaders - The Pacific Jazz Studio Sessions (Mosaic) late 2005

Johnny Richards - Mosaic Select - 3 CDs (Mosaic)

— his Roulette ('The Rites of Diablo', 'My Fair Lady', 'Aqui Se Habla Espanol')

and Capitol ('Wide Range' and 'Experiment in Sound') albums

Freddie Slack - Mosaic Select - 3 CDs (Mosaic)

Benny Goodman - Columbia Records - nn CDs (Mosaic) — time period TBD

McCoy Tyner - Blue Note Sessions (Mosaic)

Various Artists - Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Trio Sessions (Mosaic) 2005

— trio sessions by Clare Fischer, Jimmy Rowles, Russ Freeman and Richard Twardzik

Various Artists - Capitol Big Band Sessions (Mosaic) (doubtful)

Erroll Garner - Columbia Sessions (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

Various Artists - The Complete Keynote Recordings (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

Are we EVER going to see the McCoy Tyner set????