Freedom mini LP series (Paul Bley, Dewey Redman, Dollar Brand & Ted Curson)

Harbour

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/19/2024 at 2:18 PM, felser said:

Oh man.  I just ordered the AEC, Barbieri/Band, Cowell,  Noah Howard, Steve Kuhn  and Jym Young titles yesterday (I already own several others in different Freedom/Black Lion CD releases), and now I have to go look again at the additions!  This board is an expensive place to hang out sometimes!

I put in a second order  for the Dewey Redman, the Dudu Pakwuna, and the Charles Tolliver (that one is an upgrade from my Black Lion CD).  Some of the other titles available, I have chosen to just live with the Black Lion CD, as life is short and I may only ever listen to them once. 

7 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Can't speak for the Steve Kuhn on Buddha, however -- different thing entirely.

I like the Kuhn a lot.  Several bonus cuts (outtakes, not alternate takes).  Most of the disc is early 70's electric piano grooves with Gary Peacock and Bruce Ditmas (including an early version of "Trance").  There are also some more varied cuts with Ron Carter and Billy Cobham, some of which have surprisingly effective string arrangements by Gary McFarland, though a couple have dull vocals by Kuhn.  But there is a full album's worth of gems even factoring those out.  Well worth it for fans of the era (like me).

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

The vocal tracks are quite a turnoff to me. But maybe I'll try again. I recall when it was a fairly cheap record in the used bins and I never bothered with it... now, of course, it's quite expensive and I wouldn't mind having a few copies to sell!

The CD is almost twice as long as the album, with no alternate takes, so you can factor out the cuts with the vocals (which, I agree, are a turnoff) and still have a substantial album of cuts.

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

At this moment there are ten Freedom/Muzak paper sleeve reissues from Japan on sale at dustygroove.com for 8.99 each.

Wow that’s a very good price!

Oh, all right...I missed the boat on some, but added the Tchicai and 2 of the $8.99 non-Freedom Muzak reissues: Tete Montoliu Recordano A Line and Eddie Costa Quintet. A bunch of straight-ahead, particularly WCJ titles (Conte Candoli, Stan Levey, Frank Rosolino) appeal, but I'm tapped out due to many recent purchases.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I missed the Konitz  that packaged all three Storyville records together. They're all on Spotify, but if it comes back in at 8.99, I'm still game.

It’s WONDERFUL.  I paid $24.99 for mine (unfortunately, ~2 yrs ago, from Dusty) — but it’s probably as exceptional a reissue of that material as one could ever hope for.

I have the Muzak that are from Storyville and Black Lion and I have to say: they have never sounded better to me before, whether on LP or cd. Excellent sounding reissues! I got them from cdjapan so I paid not quite as much as from US retailers, but more than 8.99!

Edited by jazzbo

50 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

It’s WONDERFUL.  I paid $24.99 for mine (unfortunately, ~2 yrs ago, from Dusty) — but it’s probably as exceptional a reissue of that material as one could ever hope for.

Yeah, at Storyville I've had for a whiles (thanks to Red Trumpet RIP), the other two I streamed for about a week at leisure. Often, that's enough, curiosity sated, money saved. Streaming is good for me like that. Like the Getz Roost set, yeah. That was all good fun, but enough of that, point made. Next. 

This Konitz stuff, though, for $8.99, yeah. I'll have some of that, for sure!

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have the Muzak that are from Storyville and Black Lion and I have to say: they have never sounded better to me before, whether on LP or cd. Excellent sounding reissues! 

Been mining the Storyville/BL Muzak releases - SQ is so much better than the BL/1201 CD releases of past - the double CD sets for $8.99 are a steal

Sims/Brookmeyer double Storyville CD - "Whooeeee" / "Tonite's Music Today"

Jackie & Roy double Storyville CD - "Storyville Presents" / "Sing! Baby Sing!"

Powell's two double Fontana sets - "Strictly Confidential" / "Essen Jazz Festival" (with Coleman Hawkins) plus "Blues For Bouffemont" / "Hot House"

Two Jazz Line (short lived label) performances - both with multiple alternates

Pearson - "Hush" (rereleased as "Groovin' For Nat" under Donald Byrd)

Hubbard - "Groovy" (later released as "Minor Mishap" under Hubbard's name but also as a Duke Pearson Prestige release "Dedication")  some great Pepper Adams here including one of his own comps "Apothegm". This session was recorded for Jazz Line but label folded before it was released by them

I think Bates bought the Jazz Line/Jazztime catalog in the 1960s. Some of these were reissued on Fontana/Polydor in the UK, Holland, and Germany in the late '60s. Pearson's great Angel Eyes had its first issue as a UK Polydor LP but was recorded for Jazz Line. The Willie Wilson initially came out as a Freddie Hubbard LP on Fontana, and was issued under Pearson's name in the US by Prestige.

I find this all quite fascinating. Muzak must have a pretty good licensing deal with DA Music (which holds all of the Bates productions).

25 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Goykovich: Macedonia arriving today.

If you like that, don't sleep on the Ten to Two Blues reissue with Goykovich and a Tete Montoliu trio.

I got both, and the latter is really strong.