Study finds that jazz fans are the happiest people of any genre of music

No doubt such cases/lives exist. But IMO this misses the point of the "survey". Or to put it another way: I understood this to mean that those who speak of their musical preferences do so in positive and "happy" terms and exude happiness. I.e. how they feel about their music and how thier music makes them feel. And according to this "survey" these positive vibes seem to happen more frequently with jazz fans than with fans of most other music styles. And according to the report this seems also seems to be true for with Heavy Metal fans - not exactly a segment that typically leads the same kind of everyday life as the average jazz fan.

Quote from the comment:

" New research courtesy of online marketplace OnBuy.com (no, we're not sure why they're researching this, either) has found that metal is home to music's second happiest fan base, thanks to the high level of positivity the community shows online.
The rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound research was compiled through the analysis of more than two million Reddit comments from the subreddits of 27 different music genres. The number of times positive words were used within the subreddits was calculated to reveal the hierarchy of fan base happiness, revealing that jazz listeners are the most positive, followed by metallers. At the more negative end of the spectrum were drill, grime, and drum and bass fans."
And so on ...

OTOH, why would drum and bass fans, for example, be at the negative end? Are their everyday lives all just pieces of junk and even their drum and bass hammering won't relieve them from that feeling or do they lead great lives yet delight in talking only about the negative vibes they get from their music all day? Or does this happen to be a style of music that tends to amplify any negative feelings you may harbor? (Hard to believe but ...)

Anyway ... no doubt the "Loudersound" people were not taking these findings all that seriously ("no, we're not sure why ...", "rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound..." :D :D) and neither do I, but isn't the bottom line that this "survey" is only about how people feel about their favorite music and what input they obtain from their music? Not about what else happens in their lives?

FWIW, last winter I went through a somewhat difficult phase in my everday life for a number of reasons mayself, and yet my favorite music(s) was a source of uplifting feelings throughout. Which might have come to the fore too if I had ever posted on Reddit.
So if even your favorite music can't put an occasional ray of light in your life then ... 😕 Hope the people you know will fare better over time.

14 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

No doubt such cases/lives exist. But IMO this misses the point of the "survey". Or to put it another way: I understood this to mean that those who speak of their musical preferences do so in positive and "happy" terms and exude happiness. I.e. how they feel about their music and how thier music makes them feel. And according to this "survey" these positive vibes seem to happen more frequently with jazz fans than with fans of most other music styles. And according to the report this seems also seems to be true for with Heavy Metal fans - not exactly a segment that typically leads the same kind of everyday life as the average jazz fan.

Quote from the comment:

" New research courtesy of online marketplace OnBuy.com (no, we're not sure why they're researching this, either) has found that metal is home to music's second happiest fan base, thanks to the high level of positivity the community shows online.
The rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound research was compiled through the analysis of more than two million Reddit comments from the subreddits of 27 different music genres. The number of times positive words were used within the subreddits was calculated to reveal the hierarchy of fan base happiness, revealing that jazz listeners are the most positive, followed by metallers. At the more negative end of the spectrum were drill, grime, and drum and bass fans."
And so on ...

OTOH, why would drum and bass fans, for example, be at the negative end? Are their everyday lives all just pieces of junk and even their drum and bass hammering won't relieve them from that feeling or do they lead great lives yet delight in talking only about the negative vibes they get from their music all day? Or does this happen to be a style of music that tends to amplify any negative feelings you may harbor? (Hard to believe but ...)

Anyway ... no doubt the "Loudersound" people were not taking these findings all that seriously ("no, we're not sure why ...", "rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound..." :D :D) and neither do I, but isn't the bottom line that this "survey" is only about how people feel about their favorite music and what input they obtain from their music? Not about what else happens in their lives?

FWIW, last winter I went through a somewhat difficult phase in my everday life for a number of reasons mayself, and yet my favorite music(s) was a source of uplifting feelings throughout. Which might have come to the fore too if I had ever posted on Reddit.
So if even your favorite music can't put an occasional ray of light in your life then ... 😕 Hope the people you know will fare better over time.

Well I was taking a broader view than this puff piece I suppose. These persons I am referencing can speak happily of their love of jazz. . . but that doesn't erase dangerous loneliness. artistic career frustration, family issues (some induced by conflicts of political and religious ideologies), problems with substance abuse et al that are making them non-happy persons. Jazz won't save you from many unhappinesses even if it can be a salve or temporary release or escape.

• 8 months later...

Had to officially leave the jazz subreddit as it has gotten awful. There's a "jazz circlejerk" subreddit, created to make fun of the main jazz sub, but they've basically become the same thing. So for online jazz discussion, reddit ain't it.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2024 at 9:58 AM, Dub Modal said:

Had to officially leave the jazz subreddit as it has gotten awful. There's a "jazz circlejerk" subreddit, created to make fun of the main jazz sub, but they've basically become the same thing. So for online jazz discussion, reddit ain't it.

Yeah I think we need to make use of our collective artistic and cognitive superiority and make a "jazz circlejerk circlejerk" thread here.

27 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Definitely. 

While I do agree that this is by far the best place for Jazz discussion, I think there are a few instances where this forum leaves a little to be desired. It has been discussed earlier in this thread how there are advantages to the forum style method of bumping posts based on replies and not just upload date. I do agree that it is really nice being able to carry out discussions for months and even years, however I have come across the issue of almost any idea or artist I would like to discuss being already talked about in previous threads. With this boards (justifiable) tendency to "use the search function" any new user trying to start a new thread on a previously discussed artist, this board ends up acting more like a library rather than a collaborative space for live interaction. This is evidenced by 90% of posts these days being "album covers", "what are you listening to" or just random topics, usually not jazz related. I know that it is a pipe dream, but I scroll through decade-old threads and yearn for the opportunity to participate in these archived discussions. Like many things in life, I wish for a middle ground between the daily "Awesome picture of famous saxophone player John Coltrane" posts on Reddit and the singular Organissimo thread from 2005 on (pick any of the greats) that hasn't been replied to in a decade.

I digress, back to reading the John Patton thread for the nth time. By the way... Where has Soul Stream been lately?

6 hours ago, Stevie Mclean said:

While I do agree that this is by far the best place for Jazz discussion, I think there are a few instances where this forum leaves a little to be desired. It has been discussed earlier in this thread how there are advantages to the forum style method of bumping posts based on replies and not just upload date. I do agree that it is really nice being able to carry out discussions for months and even years, however I have come across the issue of almost any idea or artist I would like to discuss being already talked about in previous threads. With this boards (justifiable) tendency to "use the search function" any new user trying to start a new thread on a previously discussed artist, this board ends up acting more like a library rather than a collaborative space for live interaction. This is evidenced by 90% of posts these days being "album covers", "what are you listening to" or just random topics, usually not jazz related. I know that it is a pipe dream, but I scroll through decade-old threads and yearn for the opportunity to participate in these archived discussions. Like many things in life, I wish for a middle ground between the daily "Awesome picture of famous saxophone player John Coltrane" posts on Reddit and the singular Organissimo thread from 2005 on (pick any of the greats) that hasn't been replied to in a decade.

I digress, back to reading the John Patton thread for the nth time. By the way... Where has Soul Stream been lately?

It is great as a searchable archive of threads about various artists and works and I often search here for info when contemplating buying cds, box sets, books, etc.  I agree with you that lately there hasn't been all that much jazz content for some reason.  Mostly posts on the model of:  "Album covers with canker sores with special credit for bunions - you know you want to".  Or rock music.

Not sure if I'm understanding the complaint.

When a forum that's been around with as many regulars as this one (I, for one, have been here coming up on 20 years and I'm not even one of the originals), you're bound to have talked thru certain areas to death. Thankfully our interests change and hopefully grow and we find new things to talk about, but if new and/or younger people want to ask questions about something where we've all had a say, then they can just ask!

Yes, there's some darn silly topics, but doesn't that just add some levity to that "library" that's, apparently, such a drag? I've been on another forum much longer than this one where months will go by without even one new posting - but when it
does happen, it's often someone with a new (or "old") question or statement and many of us jump in to the conversation.

As for constantly coming up with new ideas all of the time: that's when some of us rely on younger, newer folks who come around these parts. ... and, BTW: there are plenty of folks here talking about new music and their feelings about it - or even just, sometimes, presenting things that are different, so if someone wants to know more, there's always just the simple task of asking. I don't get the "problem" (if I'm reading the earlier statement correctly).

Edited by rostasi

Well, I agree 💯 with @Stevie Mclean's first sentiment that this is absolutely the best jazz forum on the internet. I also agree it's not without issues, but perfection is unattainable and to my main point, there's no comparison to Reddit's current jazz discussion situation. Reddit is a great place for other topics, but not this music. Maybe that will change at some point, maybe not. If it does, great. The more places to discuss and learn about jazz and other music, the better.

Until then, make mine Organissimo 🤌

Edited by Dub Modal

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Any old thread can be upped.

And by doing so you may find new perspectives from members that have joined subsequent to the last post or even if your really lucky longer standing members repeating their earlier posts, because some of us are getting forgetful round here, or even better still contradicting our earlier posts. Entertainment, and possibly education, guaranteed whichever way you cut it...

I can see how my post comes off as quite negative, that is definitely not how I feel in general about this forum. I could not be more grateful for this place and all of its members. I would estimate that 80% of my time on the internet is spent on here and it has almost become my sole form of "social media" (open to dissenting opinions on that classification). It is nothing short of miraculous how much Jazz experience and wisdom exists on this forum in the form of old posts and current members and it continues to amaze me how long many people have been here. 

I also completely agree with Dub regarding the unattainability of perfection. I tried to convey that in my initial comment, but I understand that complaint without the expectation of change is just wasted bytes.

I will use your responses as motivation to ignore the doubts and just make that post on that thread from 10 years ago. 

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Any old thread can be upped.

I prefer upping an existing thread to starting a new one. Why ignore available information?

Of course, some of that could be insecurity / fear of starting a dud that gets 0 responses. 🤣